New tv deal

Who should get the Scottish Premiership tv deal?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Tv deal

• BT sport only
    • Sky Sports only
    • Joint deal again
    • Other (state who in the comments)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/18 at 19:39

This graphic is from the Record so obviously take it with a bit of a pinch of salt. I just can't seem to get excited by £30m a year when you've already got Belgium, Holland, Norway and Denmark earning significantly more. I'm sure there are reasons for it that I'm not aware of, but "whopping" is one thing I don't think this deal is.

Screen-Shot-2017-03-30-at-000635.png

6 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

This graphic is from the Record so obviously take it with a bit of a pinch of salt. I just can't seem to get excited by £30m a year when you've already got Belgium, Holland, Norway and Denmark earning significantly more. I'm sure there are reasons for it that I'm not aware of, but "whopping" is one thing I don't think this deal is.

I agree but you can only piss with the cock you've got. If the highest offer is 33m a year then that's the highest offer. It's at least going in the right direction.

Edited by Kyle

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I agree but you can only piss with the cock you've got. If the highest offer is 33m a year then that's the highest offer. It's at least going in the right direction.

You'd also imagine that the broadcasters there don't spend most of their time promoting a league in a different country.

9 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Some of this has been discussed on here in the past. Some of the deals (I think Norway is one of them) does or did include international matches and cup competitions, and others include the live rights to more matches (in some cases every single game), which wouldn't fly here. The £33.3m a year looks pretty competitive with a lot of those.

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

You'd also imagine that the broadcasters there don't spend most of their time promoting a league in a different country.

I'd be amazed if there was significantly more advertising and social focus on the EPL in this country as there is in Scandinavia.  Take that chip off your shoulder.

12 hours ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Any channel that doesn’t bombard us with ex scum pundits like Sutton, Fat Coisty etc would be nice.

Also, free to air, coz I’m a tight b*****d.

I have no problems with Sutton or McCoist as pundits, although Sutton's schtick gets a little trying after a while.  Certainly offer more insight than the likes of Michael Stewart or Packie Bonner, who, let's be honest, would be the alternatives.   

The Norway deal is for around 200 matches per season, Scotland's is for 60.  We could get more if we were willing to have no games whatsoever on a Saturday at 3pm and move all 6 Premiership games to staggered times over the weekend but I suspect very few fans who go to games want that. 

Once you add on the BBC deal, cup competition deals, highlight packages etc the deal will be comparable or better than most similar sized countries. 

Edited by Pie Of The Month

25 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

BT give a f**k as in they actually give the games a proper build up and don't start 4 mins before KO and cut out right on full time like Sky.

Couldn't care if it's an act or not, it's a far better product.

To be fair, I don't think I've seen a Sky game where the programme has started less than 15 minutes before kick-off. 

The going straight off after full time is poor, though. They've kind of backed themselves into a corner with their named channels on that front. 

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Sky's coverage is basically an OF fan service - you get to see your team's away game every fortnight and as a result there is a virtual guarantee that your home game will be 3pm on a Saturday (post europa league games notwithstanding). You always get pundits that used to play for your team who don't waste time in researching the other teams as OF fans don't want to hear that shite). Lastly, with the saturation coverage your team receives and the fact that one half of the OF always play on a Sunday, there's no need or demand for a MOTD type highlights show - the diddies can watch minimal highlights whenever it can be squeezed in on a Sunday.  If the subscription basically funds English Football and OF TV, where is the attraction for the rest of us?

You're absolutely correct but sadly that is exactly how commercial media operates - it panders to the mass market where their returns from subscription and advertising will be maximised.

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Scottish football's insecurity about what people in England (and abroad) think about our game grinds my gears. The sooner we stop trying to be EPL-lite and just embrace our game for what it is (it's fucking tremendous) the better. I think BT seem to understand that and have tried to pitch their coverage as being the alternative to EPL and not direct competition and that's what our suits should try and do too. 

Sky have some people who really care about our game. A prominent St Johnstone poster informed me that a lot of the stuff on Sky's on demand service is excellent and to be fair it is. The face of sky - ie sky sports news, the actual football channels etc - treat our game below its level though and that has to improve.

If BT do lose the rights to Scottish football as seems likely going by that report in the Sun, Sky should try and get the presenting team involved with their coverage. They've got excellent chemistry and whilst it may be an act (I personally don't think it is) they do come across as knowledgeable and care more about our game than just about the Old Firm games.

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Giving it to Eleven Sports would be a dreadful idea - they're a bunch of cowboys who have already shown a complete lack of regard for football associations in this country. Apart from that, it would be a hugely risky move given that they have absolutely no track record in broadcasting and therefore have a much higher chance of going down the pan . On top of that, they don't even have a TV channel, which would alienate a large number of the people who currently watch our game.

Eleven Sports are one of the main sports broadcasters in Poland and Portugal and personally I've found them excellent so far, with regards to their coverage of the Italian & Spanish football. It's really no hassle plugging your laptop into your big TV via HDMI.

As for Sky, they're only interested in American Sport or English orientated dross so they can just fcuk right off as far as I'm concerned.

I think there are 2 separate strands being discussed here - firstly, there is the amount of money involved - and I guess that is reaching the levels that it should be  (and that simply put, is all the SPFL/Clubs care about) and then there is the quality of the coverage itself and I've yet to see anyone that prefers Sky over BT on that side. Unfortunately, less money/better coverage is never a combination that would have a single club chairman voting for it.

First, I'm a season ticket holder and a tight b@stard. I don't have a subscription after I cancelled BT a few years ago. when the new customer offer expired.

Are there any of these providers more or less likely to have me going to significantly more games that aren't at 3pm on a Saturday? Midweek games are a pain (for travelling fans at least) and generally result in lower attendances - wonder how the money per game compares? 

The catch-up option for Sportscene/MOTD is useful, as I'm often at the dancing on Sat and I need to know who to take on my coupon, so retaing that option would be good.

Edited by crispy

48 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Eleven Sports are one of the main sports broadcasters in Poland and Portugal and personally I've found them excellent so far, with regards to their coverage of the Italian & Spanish football. It's really no hassle plugging your laptop into your big TV via HDMI.

As for Sky, they're only interested in American Sport or English orientated dross so they can just fcuk right off as far as I'm concerned.

It's no hassle for me, who has good internet and is reasonably tech-savvy. What about folk in remote areas who don't have access to good broadband, or people who don't even know what an HDMI cable is? Until streaming technology becomes mainstream in the same way that satellite TV has, I'm not sure it would be a good idea. Particularly if they still can't fix the 30 second plus delay that seems to come with every single streamed programme.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

I have no problems with Sutton or McCoist as pundits, although Sutton's schtick gets a little trying after a while.  Certainly offer more insight than the likes of Michael Stewart or Packie Bonner, who, let's be honest, would be the alternatives.   

Isn't Stewart still on BT though? I would take him over literally anyone else SKY deems worthy of punditry by some distance.

TV deal is only about the money that my club gets, as far as I'm concerned; the only games we ever get covered are home games that I go to anyway or, back in the mists of time, away games across the road, which I would be going too as well. Can't honestly remember the last time we were on a live away game apart from that. (Queue comments about  no one wanting to watch them anyway.)

We will get a piddling offer, take it and then moan about the crap scheduling of games, as per usual...

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's no hassle for me, who has good internet and is reasonably tech-savvy. What about folk in remote areas who don't have access to good broadband, or people who don't even know what an HDMI cable is? Until streaming technology becomes mainstream in the same way that satellite TV has, I'm not sure it would be a good idea. Particularly if they still can't fix the 30 second plus delay that seems to come with every single streamed programme.

Yes, I take your point. I just detest Sky and their American and English pish with an absolute passion !!!