New tv deal

Who should get the Scottish Premiership tv deal?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Tv deal

• BT sport only
    • Sky Sports only
    • Joint deal again
    • Other (state who in the comments)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/18 at 19:39

1 hour ago, EdTheDuck said:

How many times have you and others had to point this out, that it is not comparing like for like. It's almost like some fuckers just want to moan for the sake of moaning.

I'm not moaning about it really, I'm just suggesting that the Suns spectacular headline about us getting zillions pumped into us all of a sudden isn't quite the case.

I’d fucking hate it, if money into Scottish football from TV rights became in any way comparable to the EPL, it’s sanitised shite because of the money (not going to happen anyway), I’d prefer every game to kick off at 3pm on a Saturday & highlights shown on Sportscene on a Saturday evening. This “we need a better deal from TV rights” pish, is exactly that. Scottish club sides & national team were infinitely better back when the TV deal was as I’ve stated. I’d allow cup finals to be broadcast live, but that’s it.
Hi da.

Going by details from our fan/board meeting this week the clubs haven't yet been consulted on any of the details of the new deal. Not really a surprise but it means the stories 'are to be taken with a pinch of salt'. Not that I expect many to believe much from the Sun/Record anyway.

Preference is for BT to win exclusive rights as they treat scottish football with something resembling respect vs sky. Selfishly speaking BT is the only sports subscription I have & carries other football I watch + other sports. Sky has nothing I'd fork out the money for. There is content sky offers I'd watch but can't justify the cost & for whatever reason the cost goes up even if they lose rights.

I expect Sky to win however as they have more financial clout & BT seem to have overspent on a bunch of stuff & not got a return on investment as expected. iirc shareholders haven't been best pleased recently.

On 11/8/2018 at 10:11, Kyle said:

Scottish football's insecurity about what people in England (and abroad) think about our game grinds my gears. The sooner we stop trying to be EPL-lite and just embrace our game for what it is (it's fucking tremendous) the better. I think BT seem to understand that and have tried to pitch their coverage as being the alternative to EPL and not direct competition and that's what our suits should try and do too. 

Sky have some people who really care about our game. A prominent St Johnstone poster informed me that a lot of the stuff on Sky's on demand service is excellent and to be fair it is. The face of sky - ie sky sports news, the actual football channels etc - treat our game below its level though and that has to improve.

If BT do lose the rights to Scottish football as seems likely going by that report in the Sun, Sky should try and get the presenting team involved with their coverage. They've got excellent chemistry and whilst it may be an act (I personally don't think it is) they do come across as knowledgeable and care more about our game than just about the Old Firm games.

Sky only promote their own products and use their "news" channel as a marketing tool rather than actually reporting news. If you've watch Sky Sports news recently you'll have seen they dedicate the majority outwith the EPL to all American Sports (MLS, NBA, NFL etc) and Chinese soccer as these are the sports that they are now pushing. You'll also notice lots of headlines, stories, and in depth reports on English womens cricket as again that's what they're pushing.

The only time they mention Scottish Football is when there's an Old Firm match looming and of course they have the rights to that, apart from that we're completely inconsequential to them...........

4 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Preference is for BT to win exclusive rights as they treat scottish football with something resembling respect vs sky. Selfishly speaking BT is the only sports subscription I have & carries other football I watch + other sports. Sky has nothing I'd fork out the money for. There is content sky offers I'd watch but can't justify the cost & for whatever reason the cost goes up even if they lose rights.

I expect Sky to win however as they have more financial clout & BT seem to have overspent on a bunch of stuff & not got a return on investment as expected. iirc shareholders haven't been best pleased recently.

I think BT have fucked it tbh. They spent way too much on the Champions League and now are cutting back everywhere. They lost UFC, NBA, Serie A and didn't bid for Pro14.  The only area they are investing in is boxing probably with the hope of getting lucrative PPV cards.

They might have already gone the way of Setanta if they weren't part of a much larger business. A sports rights bubble is why I don't think we should be taking a risk with Eleven Sports, on top of their lacklustre distribution channels. How has everyone been enjoying La Liga this season?

28 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Don't think that was due to cutting back- they already have Premiership rugby and for this season exclusive rights to the Champions Cup so maybe Pro14 would be too much rugby to fit in?

You're right, they have plenty of rugby. Maybe they didn't see the value in it.

The Pro14 deal show the value of screening every game across staggered kickoff times.  I've got Premier just for the rugby and you get your money's worth even if you just watch the Scottish teams.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Sky win exclusive rights to show the Premiership and Premier Sports will be showing the League Cup. Absolute shambles. :lol:

To be fair, if it was a blind bidding process and Premier Sports bid more than BT then there's not much the SPFL can do.

It's incredibly harsh on BT, though. They played no small part in ensuring the revamped League Cup was a success, and their coverage of the league has been significantly better than Sky.

You can only imagine that Sky were determined to keep a certain four games and upped their bid accordingly.

1 minute ago, The Master said:

It's incredibly harsh on BT, though. 

They seem to be in bit of a shit state. Numerous redundancies, loss of Serie A football, Scottish football, UFC. 

Their coverage was very good though, I'm sure Sky will do the bare minimum yet again.

I've just looked at the detail - 48 Premiership games, down by 12 from the current 60 (mostly Premiership). 

But 20 games on BBC Scotland means a net increase of 8 games across the top two divisions. So it's swings and roundabouts to an extent.