East of scotland vs juniors

2 hours ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

Not really. The top five in each league are ex junior. That isn't the point though. We all knew there was a big gulf from the Superleague and Premier vs EoS. From next season there is a injection of teams at all levels and it must be really refreshing for all the so called smaller teams.

It's not great seeing one sided scores and it's tough going but it's absolutely the right thing for the game.

In hindsight seeding leagues may have been a better option. I say that as the chat would have been at how competitive and how the standard has risen rather than how a lot of the games are hammerings.

The leagues were formed from previous seasons placings. Preston heriot watt lothian thistle Hutchison Vale and Leith are pushing for top 5 and best 6 places

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The leagues were formed from previous seasons placings. Preston heriot watt lothian thistle Hutchison Vale and Leith are pushing for top 5 and best 6 places
I mean in hindsight they could have made three divisions based on seedings. I'm not saying it was wrong I'm just saying in hindsight because the leagues are pretty much ending up exactly as seeded so it would have saved any transitional season.

21 minutes ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:
54 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I mean in hindsight they could have made three divisions based on seedings. I'm not saying it was wrong I'm just saying in hindsight because the leagues are pretty much ending up exactly as seeded so it would have saved any transitional season.

I think the way it was done was the fairest way. Jeanfield have been a surprise package. I think it gave all teams a fair opportunity rather than someone suggesting superiority. You said it was going to be all ex junior clubs but it's not and if it was upto you Crossgates wouldn't be he or either dispite putting ur own team out of the league cup and are sitting third in their conference 

I think the way it was done was the fairest way. Jeanfield have been a surprise package. I think it gave all teams a fair opportunity rather than someone suggesting superiority. You said it was going to be all ex junior clubs but it's not and if it was upto you Crossgates wouldn't be he or either dispite putting ur own team out of the league cup and are sitting third in their conference 
I can't argue with it being fair I'm just saying it would have taken away a lot of the skepticism if done the other way.

I'm not that surprised about Jeanfield, they've been playing good football for a few seasons now.

Credit to Crossgates and of course they are the outlier here. The result against us wasn't a one off as they are having a great season.

Anyway it is only one season and I look forward to next season and beyond. If we are lucky to go up then great but if not the EoS Premier will be one of the best league setups to be involved in next year.

2 hours ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

Your not really arguing.

1/15. My point is still valid?

No, your point was factually incorrect. Maybe check before you make sweeping wrong statements.

6 hours ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

We all knew there was a big gulf from the Superleague and Premier vs EoS. From next season there is a injection of teams at all levels and it must be really refreshing for all the so called smaller teams.

I think everyone expected the that the Superleague clubs would clear favourites for the Top 5 in each of their Conferences. That's 11 of the 15 spots taken.

No one knew quite how the 2017/18 EoS clubs would measure up against the Premier and below however. And that's where we have seen competition for those places that'll make up the EoS Premier.

image.thumb.png.29d9be6c38295b0970d3201346e67d29.png

In hindsight they could have closed the membership applications on 31st March as intended, then you wouldn't be having this debate.

Leith, Preston and Heriot-Watt battling for top 5s in Conferences A and C is as expected. Hawick had come down from LL were never going to compete.

Conference B is where there the old EOSL sides have probably failed to live up to expectations - LTHV battling for top 5 instead of further up, and Tynecastle not being in the battle for top 5.

16 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I think everyone expected the that the Superleague clubs would clear favourites for the Top 5 in each of their Conferences. That's 11 of the 15 spots taken.

No one knew quite how the 2017/18 EoS clubs would measure up against the Premier and below however. And that's where we have seen competition for those places that'll make up the EoS Premier.

image.thumb.png.29d9be6c38295b0970d3201346e67d29.png

Crossgates have probably been the biggest surprise, and LTHV the most underperforming team. Yet, the two met this weekend, and LTHV won 3-1. They are now only three points apart. 

45 minutes ago, lowenan said:

Crossgates have probably been the biggest surprise, and LTHV the most underperforming team. Yet, the two met this weekend, and LTHV won 3-1. They are now only three points apart. 

Sauchie are very much underperforming as well, the only East Superleague team from last season to not be in the top 5. I expected more from them, when I watched them last season they looked like a decent side to me. What happened there?

43 minutes ago, Marten said:

Sauchie are very much underperforming as well, the only East Superleague team from last season to not be in the top 5. I expected more from them, when I watched them last season they looked like a decent side to me. What happened there?

Manager left and lost quite a few players

They were certainly short of players on Saturday, think they only had 3 sub's including the manager.

Sauchie have a good set up & decent facilities but don't seem to have much in the way of support, at least on the occasions I've been there, is there an underlying reason or are the locals just all Alloa fans?

2 minutes ago, Gimme said:

They were certainly short of players on Saturday, think they only had 3 sub's including the manager.

Sauchie have a good set up & decent facilities but don't seem to have much in the way of support, at least on the occasions I've been there, is there an underlying reason or are the locals just all Alloa fans?

Or BSC fans and watching the LL?

Coldstream, Easthouses and Crossgates have been the biggest surprises so far, IMO... if Coldstream won 2 or 3 of their 4 games-in-hand they'd be 6th and breathing down the neck of Dunbar in 5th - they've also had exceptional runs in Scottish and South Challenge cups.

Crossgates did admirably getting out of QL section with Linlithgow, Penicuik and Sauchie.

I went to Leith v Oakley, I think it was either the first league game of the season or the first group matches. I thought Leith would be stronger than Oakley, but in fact Oakley were by far the better side. Leith were more organised at the back and held their shape better, but they were toothless going forward. Oakley on the other hand were much more creative and flexible, and won far more easily than the scoreline suggested.

From that I assumed that it would be a bloodbath for the older EoS members, but actually things have stabilised. Leith are now well ahead of Oakley in their conference. Maybe the game I saw was a one-off, maybe Leith learned to adapt to the different style of play, and maybe Oakley have tanked since. Further research is required... 

1 hour ago, lowenan said:

Put Musselburgh as a Super League team, as they did get promoted. Then you can see how the Junior Premier division, and the EOS top ten from last year, are not too far apart in quality. 

We finished 5th in the Premier last season, but suffered badly from defensive injuries and absences in the early part of this season and had an appalling start in the league otherwise we would have been in a much stronger position.

That said, Preston Athletic and HWU are two good teams and Stirling Uni Reserves would have taken scalps in last seasons ERJFA Premier. All three Conferences are decent quality and competitive, perhaps outwith the bottom one or two clubs.

Next seasons EoS Premier will be strong, and depending on the format below it for next season (and any new clubs), the Conferences - if they go that route - could also be very interesting. 

Archived