Championship players who deserve a chance for Scotland

No one is good enough full stop and Shankland wont make it higher than this level. If he does manage to get a move to an English club, he will be back in Scotland within 18 months if not sooner.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, MrDust said:

No one is good enough full stop and Shankland wont make it higher than this level. If he does manage to get a move to an English club, he will be back in Scotland within 18 months if not sooner.

I'd wager he'd last a third of that time at any sort of higher level.

18 minutes ago, Iain said:

Liam Smith is better than Stephen O'Donnell. Don't @ me.

Half a packet of salt n vinegar flavoured peanuts is better than Stephen O'Donnell.  That doesn't mean anyone in the Championship is remotely good enough for international football.  Which, I suppose, in turn doesn't mean everyone in the Scotland squad is good enough either.

57 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Maybe we should start the debate with “Championship players who could cut it in the Premiership”.  By that I mean a step above Premiership journeymen.

For United I would go for Safranko, Fyvie and possibly Aird; the first of these is not Scottish.

And neither is Aird.

Michael Tidser and Steven Dobbie could probably get a game for Scotland if the current rate of international call-offs continue.

On a serious note though, Championship players get overlooked for much lesser nations than ours. As Granny Danger said, its probably more realistic to discuss which ones would have a chance at making it at a decent Premiership team.

Throwing Shankland into the squad is not as mental as some make out. Scoring goals is a habitual thing often fuelled by confidence. Shankland has been on a ridiculous goalscoring run for over a year now. Contrast that with Steven Fletcher, who has scored only 3 goals so far this season in a Sheffield Wednesday team that is on a total downward spiral, most recently absolutely ridden 4-0 by Norwich at home. Ask anyone in football how important confidence is, especially for strikers, and they will tell you that it is massive.

Still doesn't mean that Shankland should be called up, but think there is merit in debating it, particularly given how much of a clusterfuck our national team currently is.

14 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Throwing Shankland into the squad is not as mental as some make out. Scoring goals is a habitual thing often fuelled by confidence. Shankland has been on a ridiculous goalscoring run for over a year now. Contrast that with Steven Fletcher, who has scored only 3 goals so far this season in a Sheffield Wednesday team that is on a total downward spiral, most recently absolutely ridden 4-0 by Norwich at home. Ask anyone in football how important confidence is, especially for strikers, and they will tell you that it is massive.

Still doesn't mean that Shankland should be called up, but think there is merit in debating it, particularly given how much of a clusterfuck our national team currently is.

I would make the argument that Steven Fletcher is nowhere near good enough to lead the line for Scotland but that doesn't mean Shankland is. 

If we were going for wildcsrds I would look at the young boy Harper out in Malaga or Hornby who looks brilliant at u21s before I'd pick Shanks.

2 minutes ago, KabbaCharming said:

I would make the argument that Steven Fletcher is nowhere near good enough to lead the line for Scotland but that doesn't mean Shankland is. 

If we were going for wildcsrds I would look at the young boy Harper out in Malaga or Hornby who looks brilliant at u21s before I'd pick Shanks.

Issue with Hornby is that he has only actually played one first team game in his life, Everton really should be looking to loan him out. Harper is definitely worth a look, and I think that Shankland, this time next year, will be too. Just a shame that we have an absolute dinosaur in charge really.

4 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Issue with Hornby is that he has only actually played one first team game in his life, Everton really should be looking to loan him out. Harper is definitely worth a look, and I think that Shankland, this time next year, will be too. Just a shame that we have an absolute dinosaur in charge really.

If Shanks somehow scores like this at a higher level then aye, by all means! Even at that though, Scotland would rather 5 goal-a-season strikers played than 30-goal-a-season strikers. I fear he would fall in to the Kris Boyd trap of "oh but scoring goals isnt as important as holding it up"

7 minutes ago, Big Dan said:

Is Scott Fox not already in the Scotland squad? I thought that he left us to pursue his international ambitions?

Still on the same amount of Scotland caps as Antti Niemi I think...

32 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Hornby will be out on loan in January...

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Ok, for those of you aren't aware, Swansea, Ipswich, Hull and Sunderland are all after Shankland in January, with Swansea seeing him as their "top target", as such, these clubs all obviously believe that he is more than capable of playing at English Championship standard and I'm sure their scouts have watched him much more than some of the ignorant blowhards who are making comments on here.

Now, assuming that he is capable of "doing it" at Championship level in England then why should he not be given a chance when the strikers picked are all playing at this level and not performing at this level, not to mention that guys like Fletcher are now on the wrong side of 30 and on the way out ??

Contrast this to the likes of Scott McKenna who was pretty hopeless when he played for Ayr two seasons back in the Championship but after a handful of appearances for Aberdeen suddenly became a Scotland stalwart even Captaining the team !!

I'm sorry but I can't honestly see any argument for NOT giving Shankland a chance as he's young, prolific, has a great all round game, he's in form and he's a player most definitely on the up.................

These games are in just over a week, not in 10 years time, so I'm not sure how relevant it is that Steven Fletcher is 31.

Archived