Championship players who deserve a chance for Scotland

2 hours ago, printer said:
2 hours ago, Newmember said:
No one in the championship sorry for me poor level this for someone to step up to international level 
Over 60% off players in the top div in Scotland couldn't step up to international level 
Just where our game is at the moment 

Usual word salad sh*te.

You tell me one player in the championship who would make a difference at international level please 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, Gaz FFC said:

Seen Shankland twice and coming from a fan of the team at the bottom he couldn't even make the step up to the Premiership.

And coming from everyone who reads this board regularly you’re well versed in the art of talking pish.

The worst part of this thread is the fact the OP probably genuinely believes that Lawrence Shankland deserves a Scotland call up.

That is absolutely tragic levels of delusion.

Literally any of the Strikers called up in the latest squad would rip the absolute shite out of the Championship and probably do the same in the Premiership.

It's the old adage of 'if he's that good, why's he playing in that league'

It's a fair shout, the cream rises to the top in this sport.  Bar a very small amount of anomalies.  

46 minutes ago, Newmember said:

Shankland level is championship Scotland or lower div England 

He would struggle in the top div in Scotland 

He would never make it down south in the top two divs 

January will tell 

Write a couple more verses and this could be a hit single.

There are two obvious candidates because of their stats this season. Majority of being a good striker is off the ball, movement and space so the jump to international is still great despite the argument that the goal is the same size etc etc.

I think Dobbie would do a better job at international level. Shankland's big move seems inevitable, if that's a success he's every chance of having an international career.

I don't think they are ahead of the strikers in the Squad for Israel.

16 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:

Another Scotland squad full of dross or players who have had more than enough chances surely players like Dobbie or Shankland deserve a go any other players at your club past or present who could have done a shift fir the tartan army.

Ok, for those of you aren't aware, Swansea, Ipswich, Hull and Sunderland are all after Shankland in January, with Swansea seeing him as their "top target", as such, these clubs all obviously believe that he is more than capable of playing at English Championship standard and I'm sure their scouts have watched him much more than some of the ignorant blowhards who are making comments on here.

Now, assuming that he is capable of "doing it" at Championship level in England then why should he not be given a chance when the strikers picked are all playing at this level and not performing at this level, not to mention that guys like Fletcher are now on the wrong side of 30 and on the way out ??

Contrast this to the likes of Scott McKenna who was pretty hopeless when he played for Ayr two seasons back in the Championship but after a handful of appearances for Aberdeen suddenly became a Scotland stalwart even Captaining the team !!

I'm sorry but I can't honestly see any argument for NOT giving Shankland a chance as he's young, prolific, has a great all round game, he's in form and he's a player most definitely on the up.................

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Ok, for those of you aren't aware, Swansea, Ipswich, Hull and Sunderland are all after Shankland in January, with Swansea seeing him as their "top target", as such, these clubs all obviously believe that he is more than capable of playing at English Championship standard and I'm sure their scouts have watched him much more than some of the ignorant blowhards who are making comments on here.

Now, assuming that he is capable of "doing it" at Championship level in England then why should he not be given a chance when the strikers picked are all playing at this level and not performing at this level, not to mention that guys like Fletcher are now on the wrong side of 30 and on the way out ??

Contrast this to the likes of Scott McKenna who was pretty hopeless when he played for Ayr two seasons back in the Championship but after a handful of appearances for Aberdeen suddenly became a Scotland stalwart even Captaining the team !!

I'm sorry but I can't honestly see any argument for NOT giving Shankland a chance as he's young, prolific, has a great all round game, he's in form and he's a player most definitely on the up.................

2 of them are in the relegation zone, and Sunderland are in the division below.

A few shite teams allegedly chasing him does not make him good enough for Scotland.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

2 of them are in the relegation zone, and Sunderland are in the division below.

A few shite teams allegedly chasing him does not make him good enough for Scotland.

And who do the "strikers" picked in the squad play for  ????

Just now, WATTOO said:

And who do the "strikers" picked in the squad play for  ????

They currently play in that league, or have previously proven themselves in it or at a higher level.

You are trying to justify picking a guy who has never scored at a higher level than the Scottish Championship, based on the fact he might be a signing target for a few poor teams at that level, and "assuming that he is capable of "doing it" at Championship level in England".

While the selection for this round of games is hardly inspiring, and Shankland may go on to be successful at a higher level, picking a guy for Scotland based on his performances over a season in League One last season and one round of games in the Championship this season is utterly ridiculous.

Maybe we should start the debate with “Championship players who could cut it in the Premiership”.  By that I mean a step above Premiership journeymen.

For United I would go for Safranko, Fyvie and possibly Aird; the first of these is not Scottish.

Archived