Clyde v Stirling Albion

9 hours ago, David W said:

Good guess; the attendance was 804.

6 hours ago, maxruby said:

Yes it was. It says so on the Official site. Why the debate?

5 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Watching the highlights it looked much more than the original 500 odd that was reported. 

5 hours ago, Carl Jung said:

Seemingly because information had led Stirling Albion to put up the 541 figure- wherever that had come from. 

But then- airing the dirty laundry (literally, as it could appear in this case) seems to be the way of the all-new transparent, yet quasi-authoritarian blueprint being displayed in certain quarters. 

This attention to detail was certainly lacking in previous seasons- well, among the mainstream it was, anyway. 

SPFL have recorded the attendance as 541.

I'm pretty sure they didn't take that figure from Stirling's website so which figure is right?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Currie will be disappointed but there’s blame all round for that goal.

Pretty much, it was defending in slow motion from the point the lad had far too much time to cross it to the goal being scored

We've seen this for years, though we look a bit better organised defensively now and aren't exactly conceding loads every game. It's more of a talking point because the goals have dried up at the other end

We've only one left back on the books and unfortunately he's been out a lot whether injured or ill. Whoever plays there instead is filling in, trying his best, so I don't see the point in standing for near 90 minutes and hurling pelters at a guy who's clearly out of position

As for the disallowed goal, can only think it was for a very slight push on McNiff.  We got away with one. 

39 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Pretty much, it was defending in slow motion from the point the lad had far too much time to cross it to the goal being scored

We've seen this for years, though we look a bit better organised defensively now and aren't exactly conceding loads every game. It's more of a talking point because the goals have dried up at the other end

We've only one left back on the books and unfortunately he's been out a lot whether injured or ill. Whoever plays there instead is filling in, trying his best, so I don't see the point in standing for near 90 minutes and hurling pelters at a guy who's clearly out of position

As for the disallowed goal, can only think it was for a very slight push on McNiff.  We got away with one. 

Excellent point Brigton, regarding the current left-back, and indeed right-back roles being filled by stand-ins. And at that, two completely different playing personalities simultaneously doing the filling-in, making the line up exceptionally unbalanced.

At any one point in a match, we can have (and have had) at least five and potentially six central midfielders on the pitch at any one time- with or without Grant as one of those selected in midfield himself (Cuddihy has only played in midfield away to Cowden so far), that specific area as a unit for me has endured by far the most significant and damaging regression this year, based on how they finished last year. Nicoll and Lamont have manfully struggled on, but the other midfield options by and large have been enormous let-downs- would Grant and Cuddihy playing in their natural roles (or at least closer to them) make them more at ease, and more importantly give us the return of an efficient, effective zip (BC) and calmness (RG) brought by both currently seconded players?  Its something i'm concerned that Lennon hasn't yet thought to explore- thus resulting in us plodding on, but dropping points all over the place. 

3 hours ago, Carl Jung said:

At any one point in a match, we can have (and have had) at least five and potentially six central midfielders on the pitch at any one time- with or without Grant as one of those selected in midfield himself (Cuddihy has only played in midfield away to Cowden so far), that specific area as a unit for me has endured by far the most significant and damaging regression this year, based on how they finished last year. Nicoll and Lamont have manfully struggled on, but the other midfield options by and large have been enormous let-downs- would Grant and Cuddihy playing in their natural roles (or at least closer to them) make them more at ease, and more importantly give us the return of an efficient, effective zip (BC) and calmness (RG) brought by both currently seconded players?  Its something i'm concerned that Lennon hasn't yet thought to explore- thus resulting in us plodding on, but dropping points all over the place. 

Tricky one because I agree a consistent line up would likely help, but on the other hand the idea's you play a system to the strengths of the players you have.

In the pool we've something like 4 or 5 central defenders.  We've one right back and one left back, and both have been sidelined for sometime.  There's multiple midfielders and two strikers.  So if you're talking about playing people in their best position it suggests a 3-5-2 while the fullbacks are unavailable, and even then it's still not absolutely ideal as I'm still not really sure who'd play wide left there but it would get Cuddihy higher up the pitch.   

Irrespective of system, there's 2 things he can work on with the lads he's got on the training ground.  Movement & quicker passing in possession, and without it play a pressing game as only Nicol's a "natural" ballwinner.  That only works as a collective unit but would be just as effective given the standard of opposition player and their first touch at this level.

2 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Tricky one because I agree a consistent line up would likely help, but on the other hand the idea's you play a system to the strengths of the players you have.

In the pool we've something like 4 or 5 central defenders.  We've one right back and one left back, and both have been sidelined for sometime.  There's multiple midfielders and two strikers.  So if you're talking about playing people in their best position it suggests a 3-5-2 while the fullbacks are unavailable, and even then it's still not absolutely ideal as I'm still not really sure who'd play wide left there but it would get Cuddihy higher up the pitch.   

Irrespective of system, there's 2 things he can work on with the lads he's got on the training ground.  Movement & quicker passing in possession, and without it play a pressing game as only Nicol's a "natural" ballwinner.  That only works as a collective unit but would be just as effective given the standard of opposition player and their first touch at this level.

I've been saying this for years- about this League in general, and since July about us, in particular. 

But it's not ideology that's going to transform these players, nor our season- but shoehorning (now there's a word that's been thrown around a lot in here) - SHOE-HORNING a combative but very deep-lying ball-winner/distributor into a makeshift  left-back (a position where Lennon clearly views as one of two propellors for any possession-based attacks we might forge),  when he hardly ventures outside the centre-circle in his day job- is showing to be a naive and unproductive decision. He's a better player than to simply be left plodding like this. 

Switch to the right, and Cuddihy is practically running the entire flank for us- and very well too when we're on top. But what we're gaining there, we lose in the centre- and we don't gain it back if Barry finds himself having to defend in his 'new' role. 

What we don't have is physicality- Peterhead had almost a full head and probably a stone of solid mutant on us, and really against anyone else, we've only got about three "imposing" presences off the ground, so that's out- Lennon sees this at least. 

We can't rest in possession very well either- the nature of the league we're in i guess, and i doubt anything could be done to alter that- nor would it benefit us at this minute. 

We do have a batch of good, young players but unfortunately, mostly inexperienced in serious, must-win football- but it's this freshness i think is our best hope for developing them as a team. Thus, the high pressing needs to be brought out of storage and worked on properly again. And with players in, or as close to, their natural positions and able to play well within their own characteristics- after all, aren't tactics supposed to give the greatest opportunity for players to do this? 

Anchorman out of position on the left- midfielder at right-back- wasn't this how it began to unravel under Ferguson? 

I read these posts with interest regards a pressing game as it’s what I hear at Elgin myself. IMO it’s pie in the sky at this level. It takes hours and hours of playing it in training so everybody is working as a unit, otherwise it doesn’t work and secondly collective fitness. You get neither at part time level.

3 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

I read these posts with interest regards a pressing game as it’s what I hear at Elgin myself. IMO it’s pie in the sky at this level. It takes hours and hours of playing it in training so everybody is working as a unit, otherwise it doesn’t work and secondly collective fitness. You get neither at part time level.

The thing with pressing is, it is wrongly marketed as a tactic- when it's really an ideology, which ultimately has to be acted out by players who believe in its principles and also have the requirements to do so. 

Its biggest virtue is actually something so direct, that it makes some of what we see in L2 appear avant-garde, that being winning the ball as close to the opponents goal as possible. Against yourselves Thom, we did this magnificently well at Broadwood 6 weeks ago- and no coincidence that is the only time Clyde have put in a appearance, at home, equating to anything like last year's January to April form. 

Another thing people talk about in L2 terms is simplicity- from our point of view, we are making things more difficult with the misdeployment (or out-and-out misuse) of multiple players- Goodwillie has been considered a 'target man' lately, given the regularity which defensive players in possession seem to think they'll find him with 60 yard punts- on top of those gap-pluggers already mentioned. 

Yes- managers get less than a full working day with players- and have to prioritise on most training nights- but those are levellers. Throwaway remarks like "it doesn't take this/that to win L2" among others as i often hear are terribly disrepectful- the current best team in the division are the mark of simplicity- to beat them, along with everyone else, is going to take something more- time for some abstract thinking for Lennon, in my opinion of course. 

3 hours ago, drs said:

They poached him from the Juniors.

The lad approached the club, not the other way around. It's impossible to "poach" anybody, when you have no inkling of his existence until he approaches you.  The implication that the club should have knocked him back, because he had gained previous experience at a lower level is idiotic. He was not and still is not an employee, or under contract.  He is a volunteer, who the club will only wish well, if he manages to move on to better things using the experience.  Unlike you, we would not seek to hold an enterprising young man of outstanding ability back.

Fuckin' 'ell talk about an over reaction.

I'm not sure how I was looking to hold him back when I've never met the lad and don't support the Wee Rose.

Like your name, your full of it - maybe come back when you have calmed down.

Archived