Arbroath vs Montrose

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we deserved to win only because Montrose didn't really create anything but they did have the better of the second half. We went defensive and it was nerve wracking experience until Doris came on and got the crucial second. Brilliant to have him back, created problems for the defence as soon as he was introduced.

7 minutes ago, Old Timer said:

Well that was a reality check. Totally outplayed in the 2nd half. Just as well they didn't have anyone to score goals. Don't know how much longer we will get away with playing like that.

We dominated the second half but Arbroath still scored. 

It highlighted the fact that we need someone like Doris who can put goals away.

Game of two halves and finishing.
Arbroath by far the best team in the first half and we were probably fortunate to go in only 1 down. A couple of great saves from Millar.
Second half a totally different story. Mo pressed and were first to every loose ball much like Arbroath were in the first but we never really threatened.
We are a striker away from being a decent mid table team.
Now to the main gripe. The penalty decisions. Martin Rennie was clean through on his stronger foot with only the keeper to beat. Why would he have to go down. I was right in line with the incident and a clearer penalty you will never see. Not only that, if given, it would have to be a red card. The referee totally bottled it. We could have been level, pressing and against 10 men.
Then about five minutes later, an Arbroath defender charged down a Mo shot. He then sat with the ball cradled in his arms for a good couple of seconds.
They say these things even themselves out over a season so Arbroath have had some feckin awful decisions against them or they are going to get a couple.
Arbroath are by far the best team I've seen this season and even this early on, can only throw the title away. And with decisions like that going their way, they are getting the luck to go with it.

We dominated the second half but Arbroath still scored. 
It highlighted the fact that we need someone like Doris who can put goals away.

I'd still back our defence, not only our defence actually but our whole team defensively.

The amount of times we managed to chase it so you played it back to your keeper and launched it was superb (not to watch it was awful) we close down from the front and when teams launch it direct against us the back 4 give it back just as good with their heads.

25 minutes ago, PortyMo said:

Game of two halves and finishing.
Arbroath by far the best team in the first half and we were probably fortunate to go in only 1 down. A couple of great saves from Millar.
Second half a totally different story. Mo pressed and were first to every loose ball much like Arbroath were in the first but we never really threatened.
We are a striker away from being a decent mid table team.
Now to the main gripe. The penalty decisions. Martin Rennie was clean through on his stronger foot with only the keeper to beat. Why would he have to go down. I was right in line with the incident and a clearer penalty you will never see. Not only that, if given, it would have to be a red card. The referee totally bottled it. We could have been level, pressing and against 10 men.
Then about five minutes later, an Arbroath defender charged down a Mo shot. He then sat with the ball cradled in his arms for a good couple of seconds.
They say these things even themselves out over a season so Arbroath have had some feckin awful decisions against them or they are going to get a couple.
Arbroath are by far the best team I've seen this season and even this early on, can only throw the title away. And with decisions like that going their way, they are getting the luck to go with it.

Raith will catch them no problem

A good first half and very poor second half from us. Until Steven Doris came on and scored I thought Montrose might have snatched a draw that they probably would have deserved from their second half performance.

Dillon kept Wallace from having any real effect on the game and wouldn't have been surprised to see him being subbed for Steven Doris to come on earlier. But another win whilst not playing that well keeps the unbeaten run going can't be bad.  

A good first half and very poor second half from us. Until Steven Doris came on and scored I thought Montrose might have snatched a draw that they probably would have deserved from their second half performance.
Dillon kept Wallace from having any real effect on the game and wouldn't have been surprised to see him being subbed for Steven Doris to come on earlier. But another win whilst not playing that well keeps the unbeaten run going can't be bad.  

Without wanting to sound like a total Wallace fanboy (a SimonLichtie if you like) keep Wallace on if he is fit. That set up for DD goal today was absolutely brilliant. That touch to spin the defender and open game up and then the pass to DD was superb. He's got that in him and I would always have him on if he's not injured, he could create a whole load of chances for Doris when he gets back fit... obviously then have the dilemma of McKenna too but the way we've worked it so far has been good and sensible. Everyone getting minutes.

Everyone is on a level playing field, our 3 subs off today were Denholm, Linn and Swankie. Very strong at the moment although it was extremely depressing to see Linn and DD come off for Whatley and Kader. Just knew we were just going for a 30 minute shift to hold on to what we had.

Think DC didn't think they had enough to break us down when we made they changes and he was right.

Another win another three points 10 points clear of Raith that's the only reality check I need to know, good first half under the cosh a bit in the second but this team has got grit a good defensive unit and we are always likely to get a goal with our front players. There isn't much between the teams in this league a lot of the games are gonna be a battle with other teams being on top for spells in games. Montrose were a huge improvement on their opening day performance really got stuck in yesterday.

Why do Montrose supporters still get half of Gayfield when their support doesn't warrant it yet Arbroath supporters get treated like shite at Links park with a bit of stand  and behind the goals of the open end, we don't even get up the other touchline now yet we have more supporters there than Montrose,stick them in the corner of Gayf they had on our championship winning day,

Will our bottle hold with this big lead at the top??:)

Archived