Airlines

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

Flew Turkish for the first time this weekend, for the Scotland game. 4 flights all very good. Would fly again.

I looked up the prices for flights for Japan once and they were by far the cheapest.  I assumed they must be a bit rubbish for the price though!

I looked up the prices for flights for Japan once and they were by far the cheapest.  I assumed they must be a bit rubbish for the price though!

Nope. They’re more than acceptable. Absolute tonne of optional meals and free booze. That’ll do for me. They have ludicrously cheap deals flying in and out of Ataturk - $190 return to Heathrow about a month ago, for example.

34 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Definitely not, I’d put them on par with emirates etc.

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Turkish are great. The food is actually pretty good. I've flown with them to Japan twice.

If you're travelling business class or are lucky enough to know someone who can get you into the Turkish airlines lounge it's the best airport lounge I've ever been in.

The one disadvantage of flying with them is that if your connecting flight in Istanbul is delayed then you're not entitled to compensation with Turkey being outwith the EU, although I guess you could say the same for Emirates or Etihad. Can't beat a bit of compensation, especially if it's more than the cost of the flight :lol: I'll quite happily sit in an airport for a few hours for 600 Euros.

Edited by S7C

Turkish are great. The food is actually pretty good. I've flown with them to Japan twice.
If you're travelling business class or are lucky enough to know someone who can get you into the Turkish airlines lounge it's the best airport lounge I've ever been in.
The one disadvantage of flying with them is that if your connecting flight in Istanbul is delayed then you're not entitled to compensation with Turkey being outwith the EU, although I guess you could say the same for Emirates or Etihad. Can't beat a bit of compensation, especially if it's more than the cost of the flight :lol: I'll quite happily sit in an airport for a few hours for 600 Euros.

What is Ataturk like for connecting flights? I’m looking at using Turkish Airlines next year and there is a 90 minute connection in Istanbul. Would this be enough time?

7 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

What is Ataturk like for connecting flights? I’m looking at using Turkish Airlines next year and there is a 90 minute connection in Istanbul. Would this be enough time?

Ataturk is absolutely massive but I think you should be OK for that connection, provided you aren't picking up baggage or anything like that.

I can echo what S7C said about Turkish Airlines, I found them excellent, great service, decent airline food, friendly,helpful cabin crew.

More than ample. You’ll have time for a pint or two. That said, check that it’s Ataturk and not the new airport, which is replacing it.

5 hours ago, ArabGaz said:

It's not the nicest airport in the world, but I think 90 minutes should be enough time.

The only time I've had a problem there was when there was a terrorist attack in Istanbul a few days beforehand. In that instance security between flights becomes a chaotic mess. It gets very busy between 11pm and 1am in my experience as that's when a lot of the Asian flights are leaving and coming in.

Edited by S7C

Ataturk airport is one of the worst I have travelled through but Turkish Airlines are great. We had a 4 hour wait last time so booked the hotel for 3 hours - expensive but worth it to actually have a place to chill.  We have flown Jakarta - Edinburgh a few times with them, the entertainment system is one of the best and the food is really good as well. Service doesn't look all that friendly but is actually very helpful.

• 3 months later...
21 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

The BA safety video with Joanna Lumley and David Walliams is one of the worst things I've ever seen.

As usual they are about 20 years behind Virgin who had vic reeves and bob mortimer do theres and yes it is awful

The BA safety video with Joanna Lumley and David Walliams is one of the worst things I've ever seen.
Fucking horrible isn't it. I still have nightmares about that fucking chibuddy g guy. Flew from Inverness to Paris last summer via Heathrow and had to see it 4 fucking times in one holiday. Tryhard pish.

Loganair is class. The planes seem ancient and the interiors are rough as f**k but a free coffee and a caramel wafer wins me over every time. Their customer service is actually decent, too.

11 hours ago, WeAreElgin said:

Fucking horrible isn't it. I still have nightmares about that fucking chibuddy g guy. Flew from Inverness to Paris last summer via Heathrow and had to see it 4 fucking times in one holiday. Tryhard pish.

On my return flight from Heathrow to Inverness last week, they started showing it and then audio broke so they had to do it manually*.  I was delighted!

* I mean the safety demonstration.  Not the air stewards acting out the whole film!

Loganair is class. The planes seem ancient and the interiors are rough as f**k but a free coffee and a caramel wafer wins me over every time. Their customer service is actually decent, too.
I got a phonecall from them once to warn me that my flight was going to be 5 minutes late. I ordered another pint.