Airlines

10 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I really like Loganair but they can be quite expensive.  As I recall, the flight from Inverness to Belfast with Flybe was £99 return.  Logainair's flight to Dublin was often double that.

Trying* to get a £50 flight to Birmingham with them at the moment which isn't bad. And you get a free biscuit and coffee!

*bit complicated and too boring to explain.

On 05/03/2020 at 16:24, Highland Capital said:

I really like Loganair but they can be quite expensive.  As I recall, the flight from Inverness to Belfast with Flybe was £99 return.  Logainair's flight to Dublin was often double that.

Their new flight from Dundee to Belfast is about the same £92 I think.

Edited by ArabAuslander

On 05/03/2020 at 16:24, Highland Capital said:

I really like Loganair but they can be quite expensive.  As I recall, the flight from Inverness to Belfast with Flybe was £99 return.  Loganair's flight to Dublin was often double that.

Do you get a discount if you can sing the words to Johnny Logan's Irish winner for Eurovision?

If so then maybe I'll learn them.  At moment I can't even remember the name of the song.

I appear to have developed an unfortunate addiction to airline/flight review videos on YouTube. 

Sam Chui comes across as a w****r, Dennis Bunnik is ok but hes increasingly doing shared content and promos etc, Pauls trip reports/wingingit is becoming more sponsored content and i dont enjoy them as much now, Noel Phillips does the best mix of flights and cabins but he can be a bit whiny, the points guy uk does some good videos like ‘first one to paris’ etc but a couple of the reviewers are annoying.

Agreed that some of the Points Guy UK reviewers can be a bit irritating. They always seem put the boy Jean in economy on the class comparison videos, too. I do generally like their videos, though.  

Money for old rope that. Get paid to rave in high school English about business class flights.

20 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Do you get a discount if you can sing the words to Johnny Logan's Irish winner for Eurovision?

If so then maybe I'll learn them.  At moment I can't even remember the name of the song.

What's another year?

Or Hold me now?

Or the other one he wrote for someone else?

• 5 months later...

Have to say Jet2 have been pretty sweet. We'd booked for Majorca in October (booked well before Covid) and turns out that the hotel won't be opening this year. Quick call to them on Saturday, changed holiday, and a 90 quid refund into the bargain.

Used them three times previously and they are great if all you are after is a fairly decent package at reasonable prices. Usually on time etc as well, and twice we've been over the luggage allowance and they've just waved us through. There's many an airline who'd be looking to shove s hefty charge up your hoop for that.

As for other, flew the usual suspects like Ryanair and EasyJet and they are ok at best.

Wizz Air were surprisingly good.

42 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Have to say Jet2 have been pretty sweet. We'd booked for Majorca in October (booked well before Covid) and turns out that the hotel won't be opening this year. Quick call to them on Saturday, changed holiday, and a 90 quid refund into the bargain.

Used them three times previously and they are great if all you are after is a fairly decent package at reasonable prices. Usually on time etc as well, and twice we've been over the luggage allowance and they've just waved us through. There's many an airline who'd be looking to shove s hefty charge up your hoop for that.

As for other, flew the usual suspects like Ryanair and EasyJet and they are ok at best.

Wizz Air were surprisingly good.

I was fogged in at Gdansk and Wizzair put me up in a 4* hotel for a week till the next direct flight to Aberdeen. Unfortunately I had to get back but you wouldn't get anything like that from other budget airlines. Jet2 have come out of the pandemic with a hugely enhanced reputation.

I was fogged in at Gdansk and Wizzair put me up in a 4* hotel for a week till the next direct flight to Aberdeen. Unfortunately I had to get back but you wouldn't get anything like that from other budget airlines. Jet2 have come out of the pandemic with a hugely enhanced reputation.
Aye I think that's true.

They get a lot of the usual shite flung at them from people who don't realise that you get what you pay for but I've never had a single issue with them and will continue to use them as my go to holiday folk.

They've been a leading example during this Covid mess of how a company should treat what is their basically their lifeblood. Some bigger, and more 'prestigious' airlines and indeed companies generally could learn a good few lessons from them.

Thing is, bad news travels easier and quicker than good news but people should be celebrating and shouting loud about the companies that have acted properly as much as about the ones who haven't.

Aye, I’m another fan of Wizz Air. However,  the last time I flew priority and it took longer than the economy line to get checked in. The front row leg room is also ten times worse than the rest of the seating. Wasn’t ideal on a near three hour flight.

Still, I’d rate them better than UIA in terms of value for money if flying to Ukraine. £30 from Luton one way to Lviv on the second flight out of the day is unbeatable. Last time I flew down to Luton from Glasgow at 10pm and just hung about til the 5.55am flight. Glasgow to Kyiv via Amsterdam with KLM takes the majority of the day and is so much more expensive. 

How I long for a direct flight from Scotland to Ukraine. There has been reports in recent years of Wizz creating a Glasgow-Lviv route but it’s never materialised. That would be wonderful.

3 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Aye, I’m another fan of Wizz Air. However,  the last time I flew priority and it took longer than the economy line to get checked in. The front row leg room is also ten times worse than the rest of the seating. Wasn’t ideal on a near three hour flight.

Still, I’d rate them better than UIA in terms of value for money if flying to Ukraine. £30 from Luton one way to Lviv on the second flight out of the day is unbeatable. Last time I flew down to Luton from Glasgow at 10pm and just hung about til the 5.55am flight. Glasgow to Kyiv via Amsterdam with KLM takes the majority of the day and is so much more expensive. 

How I long for a direct flight from Scotland to Ukraine. There has been reports in recent years of Wizz creating a Glasgow-Lviv route but it’s never materialised. That would be wonderful.

Was a bit bored and looked at an alternative route flying Edinburgh - Warsaw - Lviv with Wizz and Lot. Means a late night out in Warsaw on the Friday night to catch the early flight back to Edinburgh on the Saturday morning. Other dates are available!

Wizz

tue2.thumb.JPG.aba3017bf265c74cae192558ef7a3129.JPG

LOT 

tue1.JPG.3b3fc4287094a9fb0af649933dd7abc0.JPG

So a total of £118.38 return from Edinburgh to Lviv.

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Was a bit bored and looked at an alternative route flying Edinburgh - Warsaw - Lviv with Wizz and Lot. Means a late night out in Warsaw on the Friday night to catch the early flight back to Edinburgh on the Saturday morning. Other dates are available!

Wizz

tue2.thumb.JPG.aba3017bf265c74cae192558ef7a3129.JPG

LOT 

tue1.JPG.3b3fc4287094a9fb0af649933dd7abc0.JPG

So a total of £118.38 return from Edinburgh to Lviv.

I’ve flown Prestwick to Rzerzow, train to Pzemsyl, bus to the border and hitch hiked at the other side before. There is a direct train from Pzemsyl to Lviv now but Prestwick have pulled the routed the last time I checked. Was with Ryanair. Rzerzow is a nice wee place as well to spend a day.