Airlines

They have some connection with Ryanair and were formerly Nikki Lauda's airline.  No issues for me.

Quite something to name an airline after a guy who’s most famous for crashing and bursting into a ball of flames.

1 minute ago, Enigma said:

Quite something to name an airline after a guy who’s most famous for crashing and bursting into a ball of flames.

Aye but he survived and was almost indestructible.  There slogan could have been we may blow up but we will still get you there, or maybe not.

On a side note the F1 film about him and James Hunt was compelling viewing.

Edited by Tynierose

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Booked to travel San Diego - Orlando with Alaska Airlines in September, quite excited heard they are good!

Flew with them once a few years from Portland to LAX, 2nd last leg of of a 13 flight business trip so was sitting up front. Their planes look great and they serve Alaskan beer.

Flew with them once a few years from Portland to LAX, 2nd last leg of of a 13 flight business trip so was sitting up front. Their planes look great and they serve Alaskan beer.

Was reading that they are very highly rated by the yanks so looking forward to trying a new airline, heard good things about the food and drinks too. Thats a mental number of flights!!

Was reading that they are very highly rated by the yanks so looking forward to trying a new airline, heard good things about the food and drinks too. Thats a mental number of flights!!

Cheated a bit by counting SYD=LHR as 2 as had to get off in SIN then re-board 90 minutes or so later. Never did a trip like it before or after.

Cheated a bit by counting SYD=LHR as 2 as had to get off in SIN then re-board 90 minutes or so later. Never did a trip like it before or after.

Ive never travelled to OZ or that far east but think that kinda flight would be absolutely awful in economy class. I dont think id do it unless I could save enough to go business class. f**k being stuck in a cramped row for 20 hours.

5 hours ago, S7C said:

Anyone flown Turkish through the new Istanbul airport?

I have a two hour layover there on Sunday but I've read it's a nightmare transferring.

Was there a couple of times recently. It is MASSIVE but might be my new favourite airport in the world. Shame you don't have longer to explore it. 

I have a two hour layover there on Sunday but I've read it's a nightmare transferring.

Went through it in May when we went on to Tel Aviv. We only had an hour for connection but made it, albeit in the nick of time. Our first flight landed about 20 minutes early but because the place is massive, it took us about 45 minutes from landing to get taxied to the terminal. There was then a bit of a panicked scramble to get to the next gate but fortunately there wasn’t far to run and we got there on time. (Our checked luggage safely made it through as well).

Both our flights were with Turkish Airlines which undoubtebly helped.

• 3 weeks later...

A two hour layover there is a one hour layover anywhere else. It’s huge. Very lacking in WiFi and pubs, but has everything else in massive quantities.

On 25/01/2020 at 12:00, Savage Henry said:

A two hour layover there is a one hour layover anywhere else. It’s huge. Very lacking in WiFi and pubs, but has everything else in massive quantities.

As it turned out two hours was plenty of time as I didn't have to go through security before entering the transit area and the connecting gate was only a 10 minute walk when getting in.

Huge airport though. Took a good half hour just to taxi from landing to the terminal.

Turkish were far worse than when I've used them before though. I'd heard standards had dropped, but the food was lousy, the planes on 3 of the 4 legs were dated and the in-flight entertainment didn't work on 2 of them. Not that fussed for the price I paid, but would use Emirates or Qatar over them if given the choice.

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 01:02, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Ive never travelled to OZ or that far east but think that kinda flight would be absolutely awful in economy class. I dont think id do it unless I could save enough to go business class. f**k being stuck in a cramped row for 20 hours.

Did Oz in Economy - was a piece of piss.

Give me free booze and drink for 26 hours and i'll sit anywhere.

Missus did Japan last month in Business Class for work and it looked amazing though!

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Sounds like Flybe have gone bust.

Hopefully Logan Air will take on most of their Scottish routes. Booked with Flybe from Inverness to Birmingham in July,  and probably foolishly booked a replacement flight with Logan Air to Manchester in a bit of a panic last night, although that flight is now sold out so maybe not.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/loganair-take-over-several-flybe-routes-2072608

Edited by welshbairn

Logan air taking over some of the routes

Hopefully Logan Air will take on most of their Scottish routes. Booked with Flybe from Inverness to Birmingham in July,  and probably foolishly booked a replacement flight with Logan Air to Manchester in a bit of a panic last night, although that flight is now sold out so maybe not.
https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/loganair-take-over-several-flybe-routes-2072608

17 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Logan air taking over some of the routes

Aye, Inverness flights are sorted, although previously bought Flybe tickets will not be honoured. Understandable I suppose as Logan Air would be effectively flying people for free if they accepted them.