Airlines

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Has anyone flown with Delta? Going with them in September to New York. Though on the way there the flight is operated by Virgin.

Virgin Atlantic are just fine.  A kind of younger version of BA.

No idea with Delta though, but I'd imagine they'd be fairly similar.

Has anyone flown with Delta? Going with them in September to New York. Though on the way there the flight is operated by Virgin.

Ive never flown delta but agree with the other comment, Virgin is my fave uk airline to fly with. Food’s crap as with all the others but the service is far better and they kinda do it right.

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I've flown Delta a couple of times in recent years. Overall not too bad but had to pay for alcoholic drinks in ecomony.

Was with Delta to Orlando in October, was decent enough, food was fairly good and alcohol was free on the trans Atlantic flight, think it was charged on the domestic flights though. Good selection on the in flight entertainment as well. Much better than United Airlines in my experience.

They were great from Edinburgh to New York. Starbucks coffee and free IPA, movies were also excellent.

My US mates say it is worlds apart from their domestic service.

Going from Silver down to Bronze is genuinely soul shattering.  
Going Gold to nothing in absolutely every alliance is even worse.

At one point I had bmi gold, BA gold, Virgin Gold, Air France Plat so covering all of Skyteam, Oneworld, Star alliance. Then I thought f**k this and toom on a job with no travel.

Got some cracking free flights and hotel stays out of it though.

On 3/6/2019 at 23:28, 19QOS19 said:

They are the best of the big 3 legacy US carriers (American, United, Delta) which is a pretty low bar given how awful United and American are.  I've only flown with them in North America and they were alright. 

Edited by senorsoupe

On 07/03/2019 at 04:28, 19QOS19 said:

https://simpleflying.com/a-late-night-circus-delta-first-class-operated-by-compass-airlines-los-angeles-to-san-antonio/

Have to say despite Qatar Airways refusing to tell me i would miss my connection at Doha on Saturday (despite me knowing this would happen 4 days beforehand), they put me up in a dece hotel and I got a day out in Doha.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Have to say despite Qatar Airways refusing to tell me i would miss my connection at Doha on Saturday (despite me knowing this would happen 4 days beforehand), they put me up in a dece hotel and I got a day out in Doha.

I'm curious - how did you know 4 days in advance you would miss your connection?

21 minutes ago, Northboy said:

I'm curious - how did you know 4 days in advance you would miss your connection?

It was Doha to Amritsar which normally flies over Pakistan. The airspace was shut and Qatar airlines were flying around Pakistan (90-120 minutes longer) which was knocking the flight off continuously. I reckoned it wasn’t going to change suddenly and told them that but they kept saying it might.

It didn’t which actually worked out ok.

• 7 months later...
Been offered an upgrade to Business Class on Emirates for £400 on a trip but only covers the leg from Edinburgh to Dubai, not the next one. Bit much for just the first half of the journey.

Not remotely worth it for one leg, even though you won’t get too many better offers.

Only upside is that its a night flight.However 400 quid for 3 or 4 hrs sleep and a decent meal is pushing it
What i will say is emirates is probably the best business class around just now followed closely Singapore/etihad

Been offered an upgrade to Business Class on Emirates for £400 on a trip but only covers the leg from Edinburgh to Dubai, not the next one. Bit much for just the first half of the journey.

Went with Lauda the other day. They were alright.

Aren't these guys Ryanair in a different guise? (not that I've had any issues with Ryanair) I was looking at their Edinburgh to Vienna flights and they seemed pretty good value.

15 hours ago, Waspy said:

Aren't these guys Ryanair in a different guise? (not that I've had any issues with Ryanair) I was looking at their Edinburgh to Vienna flights and they seemed pretty good value.

They have some connection with Ryanair and were formerly Nikki Lauda's airline.  No issues for me.

Edited by Highland Capital