Dumbarton -vs- Stenhousemuir

I’ve actually got to agree with squeezeboxson and say that Hutton gets a, sometimes unfairly, hard time of it.
I couldn't disagree more. As I've said above, it's not some sort of personal agenda, he seems like a decent enough guy, he's just awful. It doesn't help his cause that he's lazy and looks uninterested, pretty much the opposite of what would be considered captain material. Spencer or Carswell weren't great, but at least they show some form of effort. We have Hutton swaning around with the captains armband on, fluffing set pieces and being given a far bigger role in our team than he deserves.

Out of interest, how many times have you seen him? I know from your previous posts that you don't make many games. His performance against East Fife is quite literally his first decent performance since the cup final in March.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That might not have been pretty (well, Dom Thomas aside) but it wasn't really important how we played. A massive three points, and consecutive home league wins for the first time since September last year.

Kyle Hutton seems the obvious place to start, given he's the main conversation topic on the thread. He's injured. He's clearly injured. Today he played like he was injured on a pitch that was slippery enough for the guys with two working legs. He lost the ball cheaply a lot and struggled to cover any ground. Given how thin on the ground we are player wise I get why he's playing through it, but when it finally becomes too much he'll be out for a wee while imo.

The first-half was God awful. I mean dire. Bordering on unwatchably bad. Dom Thomas was the only player on either side who looked likely to, erm, how's best to put this, do anything interesting, and it came as no surprise that it was his shot that lead to the penalty. I was at the other end of the pitch, so I've no idea if it was the right decision or not. There haven't been many comments from Warriors on here, so I'll assume the referee probably got it right.

Forbes' penalty was pretty poor and Graeme Smith will probably be gutted he didn't save it.

I really hoped that getting the goal would get the confidence going again, but it just wasn't working today. Calum Gallagher worked himself into the ground, but his touch was horrendous. Beany charged about, but again his touch was off. Paton didn't do a great deal and continually seemed to lose the ball easily.

Anyway, Stenny got themselves level with a goal that pretty much summed up the half. The ball spun up into the air, big Wallace had all the time in the world to simply catch it. He sliced a punch behind him, Cammy Ballantyne and Mark McGuigan came together and the referee pointed to the spot.

I'm assuming Ballantyne must've fouled McGuigan, but given how close he was to the goal I thought he was extremely fortunate to get away without a booking.

After that the fans turned restless. Some guy even seemed intent on booing Ross Perry's every touch (fwiw I thought he had a decent game today, as he has done in all three under Duffy so far. Keep it simple and it suits him).

In the second-half we came out with a bit more intent, and the game actually developed into something quite exciting. I mean it wasn't exactly free flowing, but there was plenty of action. 

Dom Thomas went on a great run down the left and drove the ball back for Calum Gallagher but, as seemed to be the case with him today, he got the finish horribly wrong. Cammy Ballantyne then looked certain to put us ahead after a major mix-up in the Stenny defence, but he prodded into the side netting.

Never fear however, our Lord and Saviour Sir Dominic of Thomas stepped up to the plate. I said a few weeks ago that I don't think there's a better player in the league, and I'd invite applications from anyone interested in challenging me.

The referee got in his way, he sort of shuffled him out the road and then smashed in an absolute ripper of a shot from range. It looked like it ended up perfectly in the 'postage stamp' corner. He's scored a couple of good goals for us, but my word that was something else.

From then on it became nervy. Harry Paton for Stenhousemuir was pulling the strings in the middle of the park, and looked like the best player in maroon by some distance. I know he hasn't quite replicated his form from last season, but surely he's worth a start?

Wallace made a couple of good saves, before Ross Forbes produced a pretty astonishing goal-line clearance after Mark McGuigan had dinked the ball over him and towards the net. In amongst all that Beany was forced off through injury - which is another blow. Hopefully he's back soon, the goals might not be coming, but he's doing a decent job up there.

Anyway we held on, and probably just about deserved the win. Defensively we looked solid enough, and Dom Thomas was in a different league to everyone else. If we can keep him beyond January I'll get his name on the back of my top or something.

Aside from him (and Perry) I'd like to pay a bit of credit to Chris Smith. He made a howling mistake, but didn't let it have any impact on him. His decision making was good and he continued to look confident whilst organising the back four. 'Keepers make mistakes, it's how they respond that's important and he did well today.

Two home wins under the Duff. Two goals conceded in three games and six scored. I don't think any of us can have too many complaints about that sort of record.

Sorry sons fans if this post causes offence. Just before ht ball went to perry in centre circle facing own goal . Only Forbes was possible to get a pass but he was getting closed down . Perry passes it back and a few sons fans booed him. I’m sorry but this sums up knowledge of some of our so called fans. Ridiculous . 

Sorry sons fans if this post causes offence. Just before ht ball went to perry in centre circle facing own goal . Only Forbes was possible to get a pass but he was getting closed down . Perry passes it back and a few sons fans booed him. I’m sorry but this sums up knowledge of some of our so called fans. Ridiculous . 
I agree with this. Sons fans aren't the only ones who boo a back pass and retaining possession in fairness to them. I think some of them would rather a lump up the park to no one than us retaining possession by going backwards.

10 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

I received this cracker of a Tweet from our club poet at half-time :lol: The booing of Perry was ridiculous. In fact booing any of our own players is ridiculous, but booing Perry for not taking any risks with the game at 1-1 minutes from half-time is total madness.

I get the frustration, but some people seriously need to think about their actions.

28 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I couldn't disagree more. As I've said above, it's not some sort of personal agenda, he seems like a decent enough guy, he's just awful. It doesn't help his cause that he's lazy and looks uninterested, pretty much the opposite of what would be considered captain material. Spencer or Carswell weren't great, but at least they show some form of effort. We have Hutton swaning around with the captains armband on, fluffing set pieces and being given a far bigger role in our team than he deserves.

Out of interest, how many times have you seen him? I know from your previous posts that you don't make many games. His performance against East Fife is quite literally his first decent performance since the cup final in March.

I’m not saying it’s a personal agenda, or never deserved criticism. I just don’t think he’s massively worse than a lot of the squad. Some fans seem to have a bit of the Colin Nish syndrome with him and single him out. I haven’t seen him all that much in the flesh tbh, so I’m probably not the best judge. 

One thing is for sure; if Jim Duffy wasn't aware of the magnitude of his task, then today should have been an education.
I've been concerned for months that many folk within our fanbase have convinced themselves that we basically have a decent group of players, when all the available evidence contradicts that. Even with every man-jack fit that would still apply.
However, and it is worth stating, we have managed six invaluable points from the last nine to help keep us in touch, and in that respect today's win was vital.
And if I was John Steele I'd spunking some of that cheque money on bubble wrap for cocooning Dom Thomas in the coming weeks.

Some context and perspective are needed when looking at today's, admittedly dire, game. Jim Duffy has to work with the players he has inherited - including the injured and indeed including Kyle Hutton. We got the three points and that is the priority in the situation we're in. 

3 points and being out of the relegation zone is pleasing.  The performance wasn't great over the course of the 90 - it seems the players still have extreme confidence issues (or can't be arsed) after conceding.  The heads went right down after the Stenny goal and had they got the next one I'm not sure we'd have got back into the game.   Absolute screamer from Thomas and it deserved to win the game. 

I'm hoping JD has some players in mind for January (coming and going) - we'll just need to wait and see.    With Little retired (only Aitken could sign a player that would end up retiring a mere 3 and a bit months into the season) we are extremely light on attacking options - particularly from the bench.  Paton is guff from what I've seen and as much as I love Beanie  he's only really good for winning fouls and running the clock down.  Loy didn't have a great start to the season and is now MIA with a back injury.   Wonder if Jim still has Robert Thomson's number... :unsure2:

Only Sons fans could manage such doom and gloom after a vital win. No heads burried in the sand from me, but if we’d kept Aitken, we’d have taken 0 points from the last three games. Taking 6 is a massive step forward.

Yes, the squad is poor, but so are most of the teams in this league.

28 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Only Sons fans could manage such doom and gloom after a vital win. No heads burried in the sand from me, but if we’d kept Aitken, we’d have taken 0 points from the last three games. Taking 6 is a massive step forward.

Yes, the squad is poor, but so are most of the teams in this league.

It's not doom or gloom, it's realism. We have a long way to go to get a top 4 spot and to be honest right now all I'm concerned with is getting ourselves away from the bottom. That's a pretty bleak expectation given our recruitment IMO.

7 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

Kyle Hutton seems the obvious place to start, given he's the main conversation topic on the thread. He's injured. He's clearly injured. Today he played like he was injured on a pitch that was slippery enough for the guys with two working legs. He lost the ball cheaply a lot and struggled to cover any ground. Given how thin on the ground we are player wise I get why he's playing through it, but when it finally becomes too much he'll be out for a wee while imo.

This is very true. He's carrying an injury and needs an operation. Whether he should even be playing is up for debate, but fair play to him.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's not doom or gloom, it's realism. We have a long way to go to get a top 4 spot and to be honest right now all I'm concerned with is getting ourselves away from the bottom. That's a pretty bleak expectation given our recruitment IMO.

I've said several times that all I'm concerned about is getting away from the bottom. Forget anything other than that this season, frankly. I'd take 8th right now. But, that being said, let's be delighted with three valuable points today.

FWIW..... I don't see Killie being hard to deal with to allow you guys to keep #DT23 for the remainder of the season come January.

We have plenty of cover in his favoured position & Steve Clarke seems happy with him getting 1st team game time.

I'm glad he's doing a decent job for you guys......

FWIW..... I don't see Killie being hard to deal with to allow you guys to keep #DT23 for the remainder of the season come January.
We have plenty of cover in his favoured position & Steve Clarke seems happy with him getting 1st team game time.
I'm glad he's doing a decent job for you guys......

Dumbarton supporters like this.

Archived