Dumbarton -vs- Stenhousemuir

Great win if a little ugly.But if SA were in charge we wouldve lost..no doubt.It will take time and a bit of activity in January for JD to turn this around.God knows what sort of team we will have for Forfar.If that game gets cancelled then all the better with the break coming up.Hopefully we can get a few bodies back.Any news on CB ?Supposed to be back this month or am i making that up?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only Sons fans could manage such doom and gloom after a vital win. No heads burried in the sand from me, but if we’d kept Aitken, we’d have taken 0 points from the last three games. Taking 6 is a massive step forward.
Yes, the squad is poor, but so are most of the teams in this league.
It's not doom and gloom it's a realistic assessment of what was another poor performance. I've heard a lot of 'Dumbarton are too good to be down that end of the table' chat recently, from not only our own fans but the likes of Dick Campbell amd fans of opposition teams. We're not too good to be down there, we are playing at that level on a weekly basis, and today will have certainly hammered that home too many in attendance. You may have come to that conclusion a while ago, but many (myself included) felt we had a team who were underperforming and would start to climb the league at some point.

Trust me, a better team would have beat us yesterday, we have too many pretenders in our team who simply aren't good enough and/or don't care enough.

40 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Great win if a little ugly.But if SA were in charge we wouldve lost..no doubt.It will take time and a bit of activity in January for JD to turn this around.God knows what sort of team we will have for Forfar.If that game gets cancelled then all the better with the break coming up.Hopefully we can get a few bodies back.Any news on CB ?Supposed to be back this month or am i making that up?

What break is that? We've got games all the way til Christmas.

Mango still has another two months out as far as I know. I suspect it'll be the end of January before he's able to return.

Anyway, without wanting to bandwagon jump, I can only echo the comments that we'd have lost that game under Stevie. Not because of his tactics, or selections, or whatever, but because his excuses made losing games easy for the players.

He'd have came out and said something along the lines of "I don't know how we can be expected to compete when we've only got X fit players, and we're a big scalp in this division so teams up their game against us".

With Duffy it looks like a no-excuses type of management. We have who we have, go out there and win that game.

Until Duffy is able to put his own stamp on the team (whether that's in January or the summer) I'll be quite happy with us scrapping out ugly wins. In fact, to be totally honest, I'd be quite happy with us scrapping out ugly wins every week regardless.

1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

What break???? 

I feel there has been games this season we have lost but should have got a result ie Stranraer, stenny away, Brechin. 

My approach yesterday was regardless of how we play we need to grind out a win. And we did

ofcourse squad build, injuries are going to take time

It's not doom and gloom it's a realistic assessment of what was another poor performance. I've heard a lot of 'Dumbarton are too good to be down that end of the table' chat recently, from not only our own fans but the likes of Dick Campbell amd fans of opposition teams. We're not too good to be down there, we are playing at that level on a weekly basis, and today will have certainly hammered that home too many in attendance. You may have come to that conclusion a while ago, but many (myself included) felt we had a team who were underperforming and would start to climb the league at some point.

Trust me, a better team would have beat us yesterday, we have too many pretenders in our team who simply aren't good enough and/or don't care enough.

I agree with this, realism is the key word here. It's not negative to aim for mid-table stability this season because the plain fact is that for various reasons, mostly financial, SA has bequeathed a patchwork, unbalanced squad. And we are not going through a 'blip' despite his waffle yesterday.
If you want a reality check on where we currently are, the last 20 minutes yesterday was typical of what we've seen for the last 6 seasons; the difference is then the opposition was Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, United, etc., yesterday was Stenny. It's not a criticism, just an opinion written by a supporter who wants the best for the club.
And I'm sure Jim Duffy is already working on it.

8 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

FWIW..... I don't see Killie being hard to deal with to allow you guys to keep #DT23 for the remainder of the season come January.

We have plenty of cover in his favoured position & Steve Clarke seems happy with him getting 1st team game time.

I'm glad he's doing a decent job for you guys......

He can't play for a third club this season so unless Killie want him in the 1st team squad they'd be better leaving him with us.

Pretty please?

I agree with this, realism is the key word here. It's not negative to aim for mid-table stability this season because the plain fact is that for various reasons, mostly financial, SA has bequeathed a patchwork, unbalanced squad. And we are not going through a 'blip' despite his waffle yesterday.
If you want a reality check on where we currently are, the last 20 minutes yesterday was typical of what we've seen for the last 6 seasons; the difference is then the opposition was Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, United, etc., yesterday was Stenny. It's not a criticism, just an opinion written by a supporter who wants the best for the club.
And I'm sure Jim Duffy is already working on it.

And they 6 seasons are all superb achievements not the norm!!!

52 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

No Sons TV this weekend is a bit of a gutter. Was wanting to see Thomas' goal and the two penalty decisions back.

I still have no idea what Ballantyne's was given for, I just assumed it was hand ball or something.

It looked like handball from were I was.

The Dumbarton penalty was hand ball. Unfortunate, but a clear penalty. I couldn’t see what the offence was for our penalty but when it was awarded I was expecting a red card. Will need to see it on the highlights.

I wonder if Dumbarton had started with Thomas on the bench (their best player) and Paton (our best player) had started the match if we might actually have won. Can’t help feeling that if we had shown more ambition then the game was there for the taking. McMenamin’s decision not to start Paton was enough for me to know why he won’t get the job, assuming he is interested. We can’t score goals. Well play your best player and you might have a chance. The two best chances in the game came as a result of his driving play and through passes to the striker(s).

32 minutes ago, sons superhero said:

I think he was already on the floor on all fours when the ball was kicked at him. Red card would have been harsh.

If it's a deliberate handball about 2 yards out (which it must've been for the referee to give it) then he's really lucky imo.

Archived