Dumbarton -vs- Stenhousemuir

Guess we're both quite keen to move on from this weekend?

Pretty big game at the bottom of the table. Things are still very tight, but we'll start to see who is really in trouble by the end of this month - and whoever loses this would be a prime candidate.

Under Jim Duffy we've been treated to 90 minutes of liquid football, and then 90 minutes of slogging it out with no end product. On the positive side we aren't as shambolic defensively as we were, and Grant Adam won't be playing.

I'm keen for us to build a settled team, but there's a change that's crying out to be made in midfield. We really miss Brad Spencer's energy, and with Kyle Hutton clearly struggling after 65 minutes on Saturday he really needs to sit out. That aside a similar team would do me.

Chris Smith

Cammy Ballantyne Andy Dowie Ross Perry Ross Forbes

Calum Gallagher Brad Spencer Stuart Carswell Bobby Barr

Dom Thomas
                                     Iain Russell

I was tempted to chuck Calum Gallagher up top ahead of Beany, and bring Michael Paton in, but we looked better in the first-half yesterday when Gallagher was wide and Beany was up top. Paton also didn't do a great deal when he came on, but I do like him a lot as a player - so no objections from me if he earns a recall. Thomas is clearly at his best when he has all the freedom in the world to play wherever the heck he wants. He's also good enough to deserve that luxury. If he's in the sort of form he was against East Fife then we have a very, very good chance of taking all three points.

However we do it, we just need a win. I'd bite your hand off for 1-0 with an incorrectly awarded injury time penalty that bounces into the net via the 'keepers' back.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

Guess we're both quite keen to move on from this weekend?

Pretty big game at the bottom of the table. Things are still very tight, but we'll start to see who is really in trouble by the end of this month - and whoever loses this would be a prime candidate.

Under Jim Duffy we've been treated to 90 minutes of liquid football, and then 90 minutes of slogging it out with no end product. On the positive side we aren't as shambolic defensively as we were, and Grant Adam won't be playing.

I'm keen for us to build a settled team, but there's a change that's crying out to be made in midfield. We really miss Brad Spencer's energy, and with Kyle Hutton clearly struggling after 65 minutes on Saturday he really needs to sit out. That aside a similar team would do me.

Chris Smith

Cammy Ballantyne Andy Dowie Ross Perry Ross Forbes

Calum Gallagher Brad Spencer Stuart Carswell Bobby Barr

Dom Thomas
                                     Iain Russell

I was tempted to chuck Calum Gallagher up top ahead of Beany, and bring Michael Paton in, but we looked better in the first-half yesterday when Gallagher was wide and Beany was up top. Paton also didn't do a great deal when he came on, but I do like him a lot as a player - so no objections from me if he earns a recall. Thomas is clearly at his best when he has all the freedom in the world to play wherever the heck he wants. He's also good enough to deserve that luxury. If he's in the sort of form he was against East Fife then we have a very, very good chance of taking all three points.

However we do it, we just need a win. I'd bite your hand off for 1-0 with an incorrectly awarded injury time penalty that bounces into the net via the 'keepers' back.

I have an alternative, but it requires Willie Dyer being fit - Dyer to left back, Gallagher up front and Forbes right midfield. I thought Saturday was crying out for Forbes to be further up the pitch, especially in the second half when it was clear our tactics of get it wide to the pacey players was failing. For all Beanie works hard, he misses some amount of chances. When the team is low on confidence you can't sit and watch chance after chance be passed up. Gallagher is the best striker we have, so let's play him there.

Absolutely must win here though. People will say it's too early for must wins, but it really isn't. If we want to achieve what we set out to achieve then it's a must win. I will be hugely disappointed if players are seen hiding again this weekend.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I have an alternative, but it requires Willie Dyer being fit - Dyer to left back, Gallagher up front and Forbes right midfield. I thought Saturday was crying out for Forbes to be further up the pitch, especially in the second half when it was clear our tactics of get it wide to the pacey players was failing. For all Beanie works hard, he misses some amount of chances. When the team is low on confidence you can't sit and watch chance after chance be passed up. Gallagher is the best striker we have, so let's play him there.

Absolutely must win here though. People will say it's too early for must wins, but it really isn't. If we want to achieve what we set out to achieve then it's a must win. I will be hugely disappointed if players are seen hiding again this weekend.

I don't think anyone's hiding Moonster, but several just aren't good enough.  But you are spot-on that this is the type of game we need to win to limp into January and hope that JD can rotate the squad.

43 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I don't think anyone's hiding Moonster, but several just aren't good enough.  But you are spot-on that this is the type of game we need to win to limp into January and hope that JD can rotate the squad.

Bobby Barr was hiding on Saturday, I thought Calum Gallagher didn't really look too interested either and was well off the pace of the game.

2 hours ago, Old Scrotum said:

To go forward as against Aitken's Italian perma-retreat tactics?

Going forward regularly would be ideal.

Grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck would be magic too. 4-0 v East Fife proved we are capable of doing that.

I was at school with Colin McMenamin's nephew (it might've been his cousin actually, I can't fully remember). Anyway he once scored from the halfway line into me in a school game and it was very embarrassing.

For that reason alone I hope he fails to finally get a goal against us.

49 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

I was at school with Colin McMenamin's nephew (it might've been his cousin actually, I can't fully remember). Anyway he once scored from the halfway line into me in a school game and it was very embarrassing.

For that reason alone I hope he fails to finally get a goal against us.

Ach, give him a 94th minute consolation with Stenny 6-0 down.

Better remember to phone my turf accountant.

As per our match preview, Stenny fans welcome in the home end bar where we'll have live music in the shape of local man Jamie Gillies. Access through the home turnstiles and a steward will take you to the away end about 10 to 3.

Same players still out for us. Be interesting to see if Jim changes anything.

17 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

What kind of live music?

I haven't seen the guy before but he appears to be a guy who will play some covers on his acoustic and possibly with some caribbean tuned percussion type thing, quite interesting. The live acts so far have been very well received so I'm hoping that continues tomorrow.

Archived