East Fife V Raith Rovers

8 hours ago, grumswall said:

You didn't win a single game. That makes your point null and void.

Eta: has any other team in Scottish football managed such a thing? Could maybe get a plaque made to put on the fridge. "at least you tried"

Nah , I think  by the tone of this one , you realise in yourself that my point was relevant to your original reply.  

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

So McGlynn should be shown respect when he is actually fuelling the situation. Shouldn't a manager have a bit more decorum about him when representing his club. He has obviously spoken out of turn to the Assistant Ref and should have taken his punishment gracefully. As has previously been stated, there is a seat designated for such circumstances and if he had went to it he might have received a bit sympathy.

He was showing respect he went to the stand when ordered, however as usual your blinkered in regards to the actions of the East Fife officials who pushed McGlynn this Alone fuelled the situation .

I agree with you to an extent Liam A, but your goalkeeper's gestures at the first and second goal were completely  out of order, as was the reaction of some of the fans. It was a deserved red card, but unfortunately it would appear that you and your fellow officials condone this kind of behaviour. You probably missed it celebrating an injury time winner to be fair but dissapointing all the same. I  had to laugh at his badge kissing though. I'm not sure if he has any links to the kingdom, but I believe he is from northern ireland and has been at the club permanently since August.

Eh where did I say I condoned it? Brett could pay the ultimate price for that if Craig McDowell has stormer next week & keeps his place. He will only have himself to blame if that happens! The people that need to deal with it made their feelings known in no uncertain terms after the game. I don’t accept any player being sent off in any circumstances. We’ve had two sent off this season & neither for a foul, that’s not acceptable but is dealt with internally as at any club

If the shoe was on the other foot and it was us that scored a last minute winner and Thomson got it up the EF fans we’d be laughing our socks off. People are just whinging because it was us on the receiving end of it.

1 minute ago, LiamA said:

Eh where did I say I condoned it? Brett could pay the ultimate price for that if Craig McDowell has stormer next week & keeps his place. He will only have himself to blame if that happens! The people that need to deal with it made their feelings known in no uncertain terms after the game. I don’t accept any player being sent off in any circumstances. We’ve had two sent off this season & neither for a foul, that’s not acceptable but is dealt with internally as at any club

But you are trying to condone it by making reference to Bobby Barr and Liam Buchanan celebrating after there goals, both ex  East Fife players previously with a bit of history unlike Brett Long who has no ties with Rovers nor was on the end of any abuse up until the goal celebrations. 

One of the most bizzare encounters ive seen with an opposing goalie and we have had a few characters playing for and against us over the years from Hugh Sproat, John Martin, Dave Gorman (who had the right to have a go at us) but to have a complete stranger lose it at us i found it highly amusing, Maybe  he needs a bit of extra coaching in how to deal with a crowd to keep his career on track.

But you and i know how daft goalies can be at times. Well done yesterday hope the laddie was there to share it with you.

15 minutes ago, LiamA said:

You said the red card was harsh and described it as a basic giruy, so maybe not condoning the actions but certainty playing it down. The handling of the mcglynn incident I would hope will be discussed internally also. Wearing a club tie does not give you the right to jump in the away end with 5 or 6 of your pals and surround the manager of the opposition. Fair enough Mcglynn did not handle the situation well, but the incident was handled terribly in my opinion and merits some serious internal discussions at your club. 

The weird thing about the Keepers’ celebration was he hadn’t exactly been subjected to 90mins of pelters or anything of that nature but went all Adebeyor when EF scored.

Interesting to see EF fans commending us for taking the defeat well etc. This would of course be to that fact that this is just a run of the mill game for us, no different to losing to Forfar two weeks ago...

For as much as the keepers actions were completely over the top and clearly designed to try and provoke some sort of crowd reaction, if the ref had done his job properly and booked him after the first goal then the second instance would never have come about.

Interesting to see EF fans commending us for taking the defeat well etc. This would of course be to that fact that this is just a run of the mill game for us, no different to losing to Forfar two weeks ago...

Good try but complete bollocks, as the assorted reactions of the away support showed and also completely contrary to what your manager says about the game in his post-match interview!!!
But as I said good try though!!![emoji23]

15 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

First of all, a huge thank you to the East Fife office staff who were extremely helpful when I called them and said I'd left my match tickets on the train from Edinburgh. For whatever reason we had a photo of the tickets, and were able to show the club staff this and they got a steward to accompany us into the stand. Could've very easily just made us buy two new tickets so I am super appreciative that they helped us as much as they did. Just a shame that the game went the way it did.

With the chances we had in the first half, we should've been out of sight. Buchanan has scored a good goal; absolutely bizarre from an EF point of view though. It was like a goal that you'd concede in a game of 5-a-sides. Received the ball 30 yards out, nutmegged the centre half and smashed it *sort of* in the corner from the edge of the box. Why was the other centre half not covering? I'd have been disappointed to lose that goal when I played Sunday league. Buchanan then missed two unbelievable chances. The first he headed straight at the goalie from less than 10 yards, the second he headed straight over the bar. No one really near him either time. If we'd gone in 3-0 at half time I'm not sure any EF fan would've had much to complain about.

Second half we were second best. We looked desperately like a team who needed to make a substitution but didn't have any players on the bench who could make the required impact. As I said previously, I think when we took Buchanan off we should've gone three in the middle and put Stevenson on in his place. By replacing Buchanan with Jack Smith and then Armstrong for Stevenson we let the game continue to be wide open which only benefited East Fife in the closing stages. In my opinion we could've closed the game up a lot more and stopped East Fife having so much of the ball by going to 3 centre midfielders. Nat is a good player, and I like him because he always wants to pass the ball - even when under pressure, but when  you're up against it and he's part of a midfield two we will get overrun.

I'd be interested to see what the referee wrote down when he sent the goalie off. Is it a red card offence to goad the opposition fans? I know he did it twice but I was totally surprised to see him produce the red card. Maybe something happened that I totally missed, but from what I saw it looked very harsh. Well done to East Fife. They must've got a rocket up their arse from Young at half time and they came out looking like a different side after the break. Ten points is a big gap, even at this stage. We need to get to January without getting anyone else injured. By my reckoning, Davidson going off at half time today leaves us with 13 fit senior players, but two of them are goalkeepers. Nothing won in November of course, but Arbroath now being able to lose three more games than us between now and the end of the season really isn't a premium position to be in. 

This is a good version of events therefore there's no point in me posting something similar. The red card is very confusing. Candeias (sp) of Rangers was given a second yellow for blowing kisses at a player after a goal. It's the same thing. I really don't think that's a red card, and if there's the option of appealing, I hope the club do.  Taking aside the losing of the record and what not, I think Raith fans should be concerned that their FT time doesn't really look like one. A few of the players are clearly head and shoulders above most in the league technically but that's not enough to win the league itself.

14 hours ago, Bayviewboy said:

Firstly, it’s very refreshing to see so many Rover fans congratulating East Fife on a deserved victory. Would have had no complaints if we had been 3-0 down at half time as we gave the ball away cheaply on numerous occasions and seemed to be in awe of the full timers. I didn’t think the challenge,which ultimately led to to McGlynn sent to the stand, merited a yellow card. What followed was extremely stupid on McGlynns part. He tried to stand just the other side of the barrier from the Raith dugout and was asked to move a number of times. when he eventually sat on a seat it was a couple of rows behind the dugout which did not meet the requirements of being far enough away to prevent communication with the coaching staff. Things got very heated with a number of Rovers fans becoming irate and quite aggressive towards EF officials and staff. Two police officers went down the tunnel with the Raith chairman at half time and no doubt had words with the Raith Manager.
In the second half, East Fife came out stronger with more belief and started to create chances. The defence looked solid and we started passing the ball quicker going forward. Raith started to try to waste time and run down the clock at every opportunity which they are entitled to do but disappointing from a full time outfit. When Kevin Smith equalised, Brett Long celebrated in front of the Rovers fans and as far as I’m aware wasn’t spoken to by the Referee. When Dunsmore got the winner, Long celebrated again in front of the Rovers fans but this time the Referee gave him a Red card.
Spoke to Crawford Allan who was the Referee supervisor today and he said it was for goading away fans which could have started crowd trouble. Surely John McGlynn was culpable by his actions as things could have gotten more ugly with Rovers fans approaching stewards and EF officials who were trying to do their job. Don’t be surprised if McGlynn gets a ban as it’ll no doubt be mentioned in the Referees report. We see players celebrate wildly, especially former players (Linn & Wallace to name two) when they score against us. If Long has done this to Brechin fans, he probably wouldn’t even have been booked.
Thought the Rovers missed Davo in the second half. I think some Rovers fans saying that Nisbet was poor today should maybe ask themselves why and maybe give a bit more credit to the East Fife defenders especially Daryl Meggatt who didn’t give him the time and space to hurt us.
I’m sure the Rovers will come good when players return from injury and they make a few signings in Jan, but I think it may come too late to catch Arbroath who continue to grind out results. Great credit to Darren Young, Tony McMinn and Lindsay Hamilton who managed to change things in the second half and give the players the belief that they could get something from the game.
Only 7 weeks to the next derby at Starks !

As delicious as it was to see big John sent away, it looked from my end like it was handled terribly and quite honestly I know it's a bit ageist but lets get someone else to do the security or whatever the guy with the white hair was doing. Raith fans celebrating their first goal at our end and his response was "If ye dae it again you'll be out". Weird. 

4 hours ago, LiamA said:

Well that was worth waiting for & a last minute winner makes it all the better. In truth Raith could & probably should have been out of sight by half time but in the second half East Fife were outstanding. Have to admit when Thomson made that terrific double save I couldn’t see us scoring but the fitness level of our side is quite remarkable. We have ended every game against full time teams this season looking stronger than all of them!
More than anything else though it was a much needed 3 points on the back of 2 defeats.
Final word to the ‘out of the woodwork’ fans who were there yesterday. Your support helped so much during the game please please please come along to the bread & butter games as often as you can. Your financial backing will also greatly assist the running of the club.
Airdrie next on the agenda, bring it on!

This this this. I live in Glasgow so can't really apply myself to this, but it's a very important point. I know that a lot of people are put off by the one stand stadium and the cald sea air, but lets just get behind the local team instead of being a Rangers/Celtic "fan" 4 times a year.

3 hours ago, LiamA said:

There is one aspect of football that really gets on my goatee! Football fans who shout abuse & bile at players for 90 minutes then get all in a rage because a player gives it back! Buchanan celebrated in front of the EF fans but not once did he even look at us. Bobby Barr celebrated in front of us 2 weeks ago why, because he was getting dogs abuse from our fans. Brett was wrong yesterday but a red card for basically saying ‘girupy’ is too harsh. If it had been the other way round & Thomson had done it to us I think my disappointment at losing a last minute winner would have over ridden any rage at him. I want my players to be passionate & would expect the same from the opposition too

And finally this. For me it follows on from the Lennon situation. Do fans want this part of fitba to go? Of course we don't. I want to enjoy our keeper giving it ticht to the fans after we score in the same way that I want (and deserve) to be a seething mess when players celebrate in front of me. That's what makes fitba great. 

A final point as has been said before; Raith fans on here very humbling in defeat which is commendable. Met a Rovers fan back at the pub in Kennoway after the game and he was an absolute gent as well. 

Serious question, I wonder how yesterday’s result will effect this game as a derby?

Genuinely most Rovers fans couldn’t seem to careless about it and were more disappointed at falling 10 points behind Arbroath than anything else. But is that because they haven’t beaten us for 31 years they’ve almost not been seen as a threat? A few wins and scenes like yesterday might start to make this fixture more relevant again.

However, the few Rovers fans that did care about the game was not because it was East Fife it was because of the 31 year run and wanting to keep that going, now that’s gone will those people stop caring?

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

The weird thing about the Keepers’ celebration was he hadn’t exactly been subjected to 90mins of pelters or anything of that nature but went all Adebeyor when EF scored.

Correct. No different to losing. In league one. As a full time team, to another part time team. Again. Sare yin.

1 hour ago, Narey said:

And the forced apology on twitter is standard. Only sorry for leaving his team with 10 men. No mention of his actions at the first goal. 

Relax, he didn't kill anyone. 

2 hours ago, LiamA said:

Should add that Brett himself tweeted an apology for his actions last night & it was retweeted by the official club account

The president of scottish schools football praising the actions of brett long on the twitter account which is very dissapointing. What a  great example to be setting to youngsters. Hopefully he does not condone this at the school football level where he is heavily involved. Maybe sums up what's wrong with the game at youth level. Teachers and coaches not stamping out poor behaviour of young footballers.  As long as your team wins I suppose.

Archived