Ayr v Queens

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1st time I have seen those after reading about two goalkeeping howlers and not having been there. I wouldnt blame the keeper for either of them to be honest, though Martin's own reaction to the first suggested he took the blame. Its a great cross though and difficult to come for. Safranko's movement is good but Fordyce isnt tight enough.
2nd one is a terrible error from Doyle. I dont think its a coincidence he hasnt played full back in about 3 months and then loses his position about ten mins after going out there.

Queens had a young full back on the bench but Naysmith just hasn’t the balls to play him. You’ll not get experience sitting there every game

The cross for the first goal was good but nothing you don't see regularly.  Martin had a view of it coming from well out,  He wasn't being put under any real pressure,  had a clear run to collect/punch the ball if he had moved towards it coming into the corner of his 6 yard box and it was at a good height to deal with.  Even if he hadn't managed to deal with it cleanly,  chances are he would have put the striker off. 

You clearly watch a high standard of football if you see crosses like that regularly. Couldn’t tell you the last time I saw someone deliver a ball like that from that far out in this league.

2 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

It`s better cross than I gave it credit for at the weekend but it`s in the air for a long time. 

I just think when you see that its a terrific cross. Its both looping and pacy which is a difficult combination to produce. Its not one he can cone and cut out. The only time its in reach for him would be in the couple of feet before Safranko actually heads it. 

I dont blame him at all for not going for it. As 19QOS19 says if there is an error from him its in starting to come which leaves him open to it looping over him. That said if he stays on his line and Safranko glances it in the corner he looks daft there too.

Its a terrific cross and a terrific run and header from the striker. Fordyce should have covered it better and maybe the cross could have been blocked at source. 

All that said, I acknowledge Martin's own hand held up reaction suggests he feels himself he is culpable.

2 hours ago, Steeplechat said:

Queens had a young full back on the bench but Naysmith just hasn’t the balls to play him. You’ll not get experience sitting there every game

Danny Irving? He is a left back, as is Marshall. He is hardly likely to use either at right back by choice.

10 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

You clearly watch a high standard of football if you see crosses like that regularly. Couldn’t tell you the last time I saw someone deliver a ball like that from that far out in this league.

I see plenty of crosses of varying difficulty  coming into our box and not being dealt with by defenders or keeper.  Saturday's one,  I was sitting in a good line to see the flight of the ball and it looked a fairly easy chance for Martin to at least try to deal with it,  and as you say it did come from quite a distance also. The fact that Martin appears to be accepting at least some of the blame indicates he felt some responsibility for not dealing with it.  

11 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I just think when you see that its a terrific cross. Its both looping and pacy which is a difficult combination to produce. Its not one he can cone and cut out. The only time its in reach for him would be in the couple of feet before Safranko actually heads it. 

I guess we aren`t going to agree on this and it`s interesting that posters seem relatively split on the matter. Probably time to move on but just to add as a final point that the bit I`ve highlighted in bold above is pretty much the point at which I felt he should be dealing with it.  We can`t know for sure but I suspect that might be Martin`s view too ;)

15 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I guess we aren`t going to agree on this and it`s interesting that posters seem relatively split on the matter. Probably time to move on but just to add as a final point that the bit I`ve highlighted in bold above is pretty much the point at which I felt he should be dealing with it.  We can`t know for sure but I suspect that might be Martin`s view too ;)

Yes, probably. His reaction would suggest so. I was trying to make the point that the trajectory was not one that enabled him to come and cut it out though. It's not really in reach until it drops directly down onto the striker's head. It's not anywhere near as easy to come and take as was implied at the time. However I wasn't there and it was at the end the Queens fans were at so they / you may well have had a better real time appreciation of it that I can now watching it on video.

12 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I dont blame him at all for not going for it. As 19QOS19 says if there is an error from him its in starting to come which leaves him open to it looping over him. That said if he stays on his line and Safranko glances it in the corner he looks daft there too.

Its a terrific cross and a terrific run and header from the striker. Fordyce should have covered it better and maybe the cross could have been blocked at source. 

All that said, I acknowledge Martin's own hand held up reaction suggests he feels himself he is culpable.

Danny Irving? He is a left back, as is Marshall. He is hardly likely to use either at right back by choice.

danny irving is a right back and anyone who is in a queens reserve team getting beat by abbey vale shouldnt be anywhere near our first team

29 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Is he? Fair enough, I stand corrected then. I've only seen him play once or twice but he was at left back when I saw him.

Charlie Exley normally left back in reserve games. 

17 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I'd imagine we will score 8 or 9 on Saturday.  Will be interesting to see which one it is. 

Is it not about time you stopped being so fucking negative Derek.

The first of two back to back home games for us. We have a 100% win record at home and I’d be hugely disappointed if that changes on Saturday. Luckily I was on holiday when the teams met at Palmerston earlier in the season but I’ve put that down to a bad day at the office for us/ Dobbie being unplayable on the day. 

McCall again has a lot of touch choices to make, Who partners Michael Rose at the back? For me Him and Bell are our best partnership. Who partners Shankers up front? I didn’t think Moore was great on Saturday but it would extremely harsh to drop him after him scoring the winner although it was a tad fortunate with the goalkeeping error and lastly who plays on the wings. Personally I don’t think Geggan gives us enough going forward when he’s on the right wing. 

To summarise I’d go:

Doohan
Smith Bell Rose Harvie
McDaid  Kerr Murdoch Forrest
Moore Shankland

Subs- Hare-Reid, Geggan, Adams, Docherty, Crawford, McGuffie, Moffat. 

Queens Fans- Do you lot still take they weird rattle things to away games? Weird bunch. 

The first of two back to back home games for us. We have a 100% win record at home and I’d be hugely disappointed if that changes on Saturday. Luckily I was on holiday when the teams met at Palmerston earlier in the season but I’ve put that down to a bad day at the office for us/ Dobbie being unplayable on the day. 
McCall again has a lot of touch choices to make, Who partners Michael Rose at the back? For me Him and Bell are our best partnership. Who partners Shankers up front? I didn’t think Moore was great on Saturday but it would extremely harsh to drop him after him scoring the winner although it was a tad fortunate with the goalkeeping error and lastly who plays on the wings. Personally I don’t think Geggan gives us enough going forward when he’s on the right wing. 
To summarise I’d go:
Doohan
Smith Bell Rose Harvie
McDaid  Kerr Murdoch Forrest
Moore Shankland
Subs- Hare-Reid, Geggan, Adams, Docherty, Crawford, McGuffie, Moffat. 
Queens Fans- Do you lot still take they weird rattle things to away games? Weird bunch. 

Anymore of your cheek and you’ll get rattled :)

If GN has learned anything from the past 5/6 games he must surely abandon these negative tactics and start playing to our strengths. Our performances away at Falkirk, home to Ayr, first half v Crusaders and even the 0-0 v Ross County were probably as good as it gets for us. Some of the best football seen for years. There were signs that some of the discerning “floating fans” were thinking about returning but sadly the last few weeks have killed any lingering chances of that happening. Many more negative performances away like Dunfermline and Dundee United will try the patience of even the staunchest “diehards”.

In terms of the end result having a go at Somerset guarantees nothing but it will get the supporters behind the team and make the game a far better spectacle.

We can definitely win on Sat but this becomes extremely unlikely if we sit back and frustrate. The only people that get frustrated are the fans shelling out their hard earned cash to watch the briefest.

Archived