door - arse - hit - way out etc...

Herman Hessian

Five English clubs named in ‘European Super League’ plan for 2021

i'd like to say "go on then, just f**k off ASAP" but I'm guessing as this is pitched as "a replacement for the champions league" it'll initially just be a mid-week thing, and said clubs will still be fielding weakened/weekend teams in the premier league; still, another step along the road to a breakaway and the ideal situation which would see the premier domestic league covered on terrestrial TV with the bigger clubs having disappeared up their own arses, playing exclusively in the ESL and broadcast on subscription only services...

Five English clubs named in ‘European Super League’ plan for 2021
i'd like to say "go on then, just f**k off ASAP" but I'm guessing as this is pitched as "a replacement for the champions league" it'll initially just be a mid-week thing, and said clubs will still be fielding weakened/weekend teams in the premier league; still, another step along the road to a breakaway and the ideal situation which would see the premier domestic league covered on terrestrial TV with the bigger clubs having disappeared up their own arses, playing exclusively in the ESL and broadcast on subscription only services...

I don’t think it is a midweek thing, one of the points is to leave their old leagues and associations, so I think it’s a total move away from what we have a present.

Apparently no relegation for 20 years either, don’t know what they’d be playing for at the bottom of that league.

It all seems to be a pretty weird idea all in.

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I don’t think it is a midweek thing, one of the points is to leave their old leagues and associations, so I think it’s a total move away from what we have a present.

Apparently no relegation for 20 years either, don’t know what they’d be playing for at the bottom of that league.

200.gif

14 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I've read a Dutch article on it and it was explained that these teams will leave their national leagues and just play each other. The 11 founding members won't be relegated for (at least) 20 years, but there will be a further 5 "guest clubs" who can be replaced. I wonder what will happen to them if their leagues don't want to take them back...

In my opinion, the FAs / FIFA / UEFA should be strict against them: don't call their players up for internationals, don't recognise the league and don't let clubs back in at the top if they leave the super league, let them re-start at the bottom.

I've read a Dutch article on it and it was explained that these teams will leave their national leagues and just play each other. The 11 founding members won't be relegated for (at least) 20 years, but there will be a further 5 "guest clubs" who can be replaced. I wonder what will happen to them if their leagues don't want to take them back...
In my opinion, the FAs / FIFA / UEFA should be strict against them: don't call their players up for internationals, don't recognise the league and don't let clubs back in at the top if they leave the super league, let them re-start at the bottom.
i completely agree with what you are saying at the end of your post but there is absolutely no chance thatll happen

• 3 weeks later...

More details on this.

Super League "will not happen", but plans are in place to change the three European Competitions in 2024 to have more teams in it.

The plan is, and those in charge have said this on record, is to have more European ties, and less domestic games, after that point.

Archived