Your club's biggest jobber

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

We were supposed to have him for a couple of months because at the time First Division clubs could sign amateurs outside the window, SPL clubs couldn't and Hearts had him lined up as a signing but wanted him to get game time before January. I suspect Allan Moore actually did something horrible to Jim Jefferies and duping him into signing Toto was his revenge. We've all seen some awful players, but Toto was genuinely not a footballer.

I can help here.

Jim Jefferies was still upset with Moore for his extra time winner in the 1997 Coca Cola Cup.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Dani Lopez was the first name to spring to mind for me.

In his debut in a friendly against St Mirren in summer 2015, he got passed the ball and it rolled under his foot for a throw in. Then 2 minutes later he got put through on goal and proceeded to fresh air his shot and land on his arse. 

An utter diddy.

Hughes said he would bang in double figures for us. Left after gobbing on a young Saintees player in a reserve game. Also had a massive jaw which made me suspicious of the guy right from the off.

Dani-Lopez-54.jpg

10 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Football genius Mark Roberts signing Davie Sinclair, Ryan McStay, Anthony Marenghi  and Ally fucking Brown,

Don’t forget Austin McCann, Marc Twaddle, Davie Winters, Kevin Kyle, Dale Shirkie etc.

What a time to be an Ayr fan that was.

14 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

From the end of the Daziel era to McCalls team of the last two years you would be lucky to pick a team of players who weren't jobbers. 

Craig Conway, Stewart Kean, Ryan Stevenson (first time) were the only players who moved up the way. Some went straight to juniors and some gave up during. 

Stainrod signed some belters, Cameron Connie, Tam Smith, Gary Paterson, Ross Tannock, Paul Shepherd, Julian Dow. 

Everyone Neil Watt signed

99% of the juniors the two Rabs signed

Football genius Mark Roberts signing Davie Sinclair, Ryan McStay, Anthony Marenghi  and Ally fucking Brown, BJ Corr was bad but at least he had the decency to leave, even if it was at half time. 

Some good calls in there but Paul Shepherd was a Dalziel player and I actually thought he was decent. Tam Smith I'm sure also Dalziel - and was in the league winning team.

18 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Anthony Marenghi

MOTM on his debut (the 4-0 friendly demolition against a Motherwell first team who were in Europe). Pretty sure Roberts single-handedly ruined him.

Marc Twaddle on the other hand. Fully half his passes up the left channel ended up on Tryfield Place. Go to juniors, do not pass Go, do not collect £200. Astonished to discover he's still in his early 30s.

7 hours ago, aldo said:

Some good calls in there but Paul Shepherd was a Dalziel player and I actually thought he was decent. Tam Smith I'm sure also Dalziel - and was in the league winning team.

There was a Tom Smith, wee guy who we signed from Partick who went to Hibs and there was a Tam (I am sure it was) Smith who Stainrod signed from the juniors around the Ian Gilzean time, think he got sent off while being an un-used substitute  in a game at Stranraer for punching Darren Henderson. 

On 02/11/2018 at 20:46, Accent-Unknown said:

As Viking has done a full 11 for Morton, I will do the same for United:

Szromnik

Spittal Edgenguele Gunning Dillon

Obadeyi Kuhl Bodul Nicholls

N'Koyi Taggart

Spittal at right back because he played there a few times and I wanted to fit him in somewhere.

Some very harsh shouts in there. Dillon should be nowhere near that team, even at left back. That's the position he played in the 2010 final!

Spittal, shitebag though he is, wouldn't make it either. He's got talent and he might have developed better had we not become a basket case of a club 6 months after he joined.

Aaron Kuhl is an excellent shout. I was at the League cup quarter final at Easter Road when he was booed as he was subbed. He was astonishingly terrible.

Going a bit further back, I'm all too happy to suggest Alan Smart and Roy O'Donovan. The only time I've ever been angry at United scoring was when the latter, after months of being shite scored his first goal for us, a fluke deflection, then ran off celebrating like he'd just scored an absolute screamer. Useless p***k.

Any recent list should include Sinama Pongolle. One of Mixu's panic signings as he started to realise just how gash we really were.  Always injured, his most memorable moment at United was probably managing to almost clear the Shed roof with a shot from inside the box in a game against Aberdeen. Then he went off injured.

If you want an idea of how poor we were in our relegation season, the already frequently mentioned Paul Paton actually improved us for a short spell when he came back from a long term injury that year.

26 minutes ago, captainkev said:

Some very harsh shouts in there. Dillon should be nowhere near that team, even at left back. That's the position he played in the 2010 final!

Spittal, shitebag though he is, wouldn't make it either. He's got talent and he might have developed better had we not become a basket case of a club 6 months after he joined.

Aaron Kuhl is an excellent shout. I was at the League cup quarter final at Easter Road when he was booed as he was subbed. He was astonishingly terrible.

Going a bit further back, I'm all too happy to suggest Alan Smart and Roy O'Donovan. The only time I've ever been angry at United scoring was when the latter, after months of being shite scored his first goal for us, a fluke deflection, then ran off celebrating like he'd just scored an absolute screamer. Useless p***k.

Any recent list should include Sinama Pongolle. One of Mixu's panic signings as he started to realise just how gash we really were.  Always injured, his most memorable moment at United was probably managing to almost clearing the Shed roof with a shot from inside the box in a game against Aberdeen. Then he went off injured.

For clarity, I am 18 and started regularly going to matches in 2013, So my choices are based off what I have seen of each player.

Dillon is one of those players I have a hard to justify dislike for. I will say that I started watching United in his worst years for United, and he is mostly there for no reason other than I couldn't think of anyone else. As bad as Jamie Robson is, I want to wait until we see what happens to him under Nielson before I officially label him a Jobber and a dud.

Again with Spittal, I just couldn't think of anyone I think would be fair to put there. Murdoch is criticised far too often by United fans and Toshney... I forgot he existed to be entirely honest with you.

I never saw Alan Smart and Roy O'Donovan play, though the former's scoring record is fucking damning.

Sinama Pongolle was bad, but he was always going to be bad. Taggart was a player I had genuinely hoped would be excellent was a fucking dreadful waste of space and whatever portion of wages we were giving to Fulham.

On 03/11/2018 at 09:17, Chubbychops said:

Andy Campbell and Georgi Hristov. Both previous 1 mill players who were both hideously crap in the Davie Hay season.

Surprised it took so long for someone to mention Andy Campbell. His League Cup final effort still provides nightmares. For a guy who played at a decent level in his career, particularly with Middlesbrough, he was absolutely abysmal for us.

I've often written down my worst Pars XI from when I started going in 1994 to the present day, and it seems to change each time. 

9 hours ago, captainkev said:

Going a bit further back, I'm all too happy to suggest Alan Smart and Roy O'Donovan. 

Forgot about Smart. He would have made it into a Caley jobbers list even in the Highland League. Signed from Balbeggie Juniors, and vastly unpopular with the Caley support, he went on to play 4 times for newly formed ICT before moving down south. We were astonished that he had a decent career with Preston, Carlisle and Watford.

19 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Fasan

Jason Marr 

Ross Perry 

Medhdi Khalis

Joe Chalmers

Stephen Bradley

Kevin McBride

Tom Owen Evans

Andy Haworth

Alex Cooper

Taylor Morgan

A select 11 from championship/division 1 since 2010.

Bradley and McBride played for us in the SPL.

Archived