When Will Bigotry Be Addressed In Scottish Football?

17 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Mind that time Lennon got death threats for captaining Northern Ireland.

I'm not condoning it, but he really does bring it on himself.

That was unacceptable. Giving any person death threats over their religious, political or even footballing views is despicable and there is no defending it.

However, I'm not sure that those death threats at that time were merely due to his captaining NI as a Catholic Celtic player. I think it might have had a bit more to do with some outspoken comments he'd made about wanting to play for a United Ireland side, thus wading into a very complex, murky debate which causes a great deal of tension in that part of the world.

Not that that excuses the death threats in any way mind you, but I think you need to consider all the facts before judging, especially when it's an issue such as Northern Ireland and the troubles.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

Did you like Lennon before he joined Hibs or were you an anti Catholic racist?

I'm going to be honest here X, I absolutely despised him. Despite the death threats he just didn't get the message that his type weren't welcome here. He continued to speak out about the abuse he received when he should have just fucked off back to Ireland. The more abuse he received the more antagonistic he became.

I remember one game, we were trying to wind him up, calling him a ****** b*****d and the rest and this jumped up little p***k turned round and gave us the finger.

Well, I just lost it. 

Took 3 or 4 of the boys just to haud me back from jumping the barrier. I eventually calmed down a bit when one of them handed me some coins and a lighter.

'Just chuck these at him Hendo, ye dinnae want lifted, no on a Saturday'

Tbh, I was still fuming after the game picturing that wee ginger rat's face so I headed up Leith Walk and scrawled 'NEEL LENON MUST DIE' on the metal shutters of the chippy. Once I was home, I had regained my composure enough to fashion a home made explosive device which I addressed to him in the hope I could scare him away from Scottish football completely.

Quite like him now he's Hibs manager though.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Fake news: Duffy was actually on the pitch to get popcorn teeth away from the Morton player who he was berating like a fanny.

And then Lennon shat it. 

No, what I mean was when baldy Duffy and his entire backroom team invaded our technical area.

In any event, away back to the seaside leagues with that Utd walloper 

18 hours ago, GordonS said:

The poppy chant will offend some, but it's not sectarian and it's not something that needs to provoke action. That's free speech. If you don't like it,

I try to avoid these thread but its not "free speech". You enter the ground agreeing to the terms and conditions of the property owner. They are hosting events that are organised by the SPFL and the terms and conditions have to meet their conditions. This is why in football matches clubs can be fined for political or other chants and so on that are not against the law per se, they violate the rules of the competition and individuals chanting them violate the T&C of their entry thus can be ejected for trespass. 

People may wish to think about this when formulating complaints against authorities given the latitude they technically have in these matters. 

40 minutes ago, MJC said:

That was unacceptable. Giving any person death threats over their religious, political or even footballing views is despicable and there is no defending it.

However, I'm not sure that those death threats at that time were merely due to his captaining NI as a Catholic Celtic player. I think it might have had a bit more to do with some outspoken comments he'd made about wanting to play for a United Ireland side, thus wading into a very complex, murky debate which causes a great deal of tension in that part of the world.

Not that that excuses the death threats in any way mind you, but I think you need to consider all the facts before judging, especially when it's an issue such as Northern Ireland and the troubles.

^   #WATP, Well division

No, what I mean was when baldy Duffy and his entire backroom team invaded our technical area.
In any event, away back to the seaside leagues with that Utd walloper 

The only person invading anything was popcorn teeth stomping onto the pitch only to get put back in his box. The footage quite clearly shows this. And seeing as it’s an open forum I’ll post where I want.

Thanks for playing anyway champ.

IMG_0697.jpg

58 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, Mr. X said:
Did you like Lennon before he joined Hibs or were you an anti Catholic racist?

You've been whooshed.

Please explain to me where I've been whooshed, and FFS I sincerely hope you didn't believe I thought that HTD was being serious.  Jose

The media are now scared to point out Lennons shit record of bad behaviour incase of being accused of being racist or bigoted. Lennon pulled the race card to cover up his behavoir and dive. 

Nevermind zlamal getting a smack when not goading the hibs fans, They must be racist after all they used to abuse Rudi the refugee and now the Czech keeper. 

It is possible to do irresponsible, mental shit without it being bigoted or racist. Lennon and many others are desperate to pin any sort of abuse as sectarian when it’s just plain scumbagery.

Ask any wee ned who sing the songs at the games or the ones get offended by the songs, what they are all about, most wouldn’t have a clue, most haven’t been outside of Scotland nevermind experienced the troubles of Northern Ireland.

Is it bigoted, sectarian or just plain uneducated or wind up merchants? Genuine question.

8 minutes ago, Jammyp said:

The media are now scared to point out Lennons shit record of bad behaviour incase of being accused of being racist or bigoted. Lennon pulled the race card to cover up his behavoir and dive. 

Nevermind zlamal getting a smack when not goading the hibs fans, They must be racist after all they used to abuse Rudi the refugee and now the Czech keeper. 

It is possible to do irresponsible, mental shit without it being bigoted or racist. Lennon and many others are desperate to pin any sort of abuse as sectarian when it’s just plain scumbagery.

Time for the blue pills then bed dear......

13 hours ago, Jdog said:

It's blatantly obvious that the Footballing authorities and the MSM turn a blind eye to sectarianism here, that's clearly highlighted when they play in Europe and don't sing their crap ,because they know they will,and have been fined for it.

The poppy stuff is in bad taste but not sectarian, the IRA stuff is offensive to some , but not sectarian , however songs about 'orange b's' ' killing Catholics' and 'ftp' are...and those ones should result in fines but the SFA are gutless.

Where do songs about burning people to death come?

2 hours ago, MJC said:

The death threats were proven to be a hoax. Every Loyalist group utterly condemned them and the LVF were the most outspoken 

Lennon asked the RUC or PSNI if they could 100% guarantee his safety.  They said they couldn’t do that for anyone and he then decided he no longer wanted to represent NI.

2 hours ago, dorlomin said:

I try to avoid these thread but its not "free speech". You enter the ground agreeing to the terms and conditions of the property owner. They are hosting events that are organised by the SPFL and the terms and conditions have to meet their conditions. This is why in football matches clubs can be fined for political or other chants and so on that are not against the law per se, they violate the rules of the competition and individuals chanting them violate the T&C of their entry thus can be ejected for trespass. 

People may wish to think about this when formulating complaints against authorities given the latitude they technically have in these matters. 

As it happened in a stadium, good point. I'd say there are about 500 songs in the Celtic songbook worse than that but you're not wrong.

I don't understand how Neil Lennon being hit by a coin is racism or bigotry? Singing Billy Boys yep fair enough thats bigotry. Hearts have Zlamal, Dikamona, Dunne, Djoum, Garrucio, Bozanic, Doyle, Mulraney and Keena who are likely of catholic background and they seem to manage.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion on the British army, everyone is entitled to an opinion in remembrance (in any form). The two aren’t tied in any way in the world we live in now btw.

maybe until as a country we can behave ourselves and respect others views we keep it away from football?

For the record i think remembering sacrifices made by others is a good thing but listening to that moment be abused by others or jumped on with over the top celebration is pretty sickening.

11 minutes ago, BobWilliamson said:

The death threats were proven to be a hoax. Every Loyalist group utterly condemned them and the LVF were the most outspoken 

Lennon asked the RUC or PSNI if they could 100% guarantee his safety.  They said they couldn’t do that for anyone and he then decided he no longer wanted to represent NI.

No no no no no no no no.

The death threat was never "proven to be a hoax". The death threat was made in a call that was received by the switchboard at BBC Belfast, in which the caller claimed to be from the LVF but it didn't come with a codeword.

The LVF denied it.

The only people who have said it was a hoax were the LVF... well, and you obviously. You might regard them as a noble and trustworthy organisation but nobody should ever take murdering terrorist scumbags' word for anything. Three years before the Lennon threat they had murdered a protestant women with a pipe bomb for the crime of being married to a Catholic. Over the preceding 6 years they had killed 11 Catholics for being Catholic, most of whom were random attacks in which the innocent victim was kidnapped, tortured and shot. They nearly killed many more when a bomb they threw into a pub with 25 people in it failed to detonate, and in a similar incident in the main shopping area in Dundalk. It's a miracle only one was killed when they opened fire in a dance hall with 400 people in it, in a hotel owned by Catholics. 

These are right up there with the worst fucking people in the entire world.

Now I don't know about you, but if I were a Catholic playing for Celtic and Northern Ireland I would take a death threat like that pretty seriously, and I wouldn't stake my life on the 'fishel denial of the LVF.

3 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Got the ball IMO. Alan Shearer: anti-catholic bigot.

image.png.cb7631c214208ce04e946bb7ee93bb72.png

Disgusting. Lennon could easily have broken Shearer's foot there, sticking his head on it like that. 

Archived