When Will Bigotry Be Addressed In Scottish Football?

Anyone who knows a little bit about Irish history will know Irish Republicanism was in fact spear headed by Protestants, all of the most prominent founders of Irish Republicanism were "prods" which makes most Celtic fans who are bigots even more stupid than they appear. 

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should just ban their fans from coming to dens, every time they come there’s something. Urinating in the stands, terrorising people just doing their job within the stadium and now terrifying young kids just there to watch the match. 

The songs don’t offend me, it just shows them up for the morons the “small minority” of them are. 

6 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Anyone who knows a little bit about Irish history will know Irish Republicanism was in fact spear headed by Protestants, all of the most prominent founders of Irish Republicanism were "prods" which makes most Celtic fans who are bigots even more stupid than they appear. 

NICRA was started by Protestants.

Edit - Bigots running to Google NICRA.

10 minutes ago, Crawford said:

The wankers that make the decisions enjoy it. Not the ones holding the guns.

Why do they join then?

My grandfather was conscripted into the British Army so I can see him saying he didn't enjoy it but if you join up voluntarily you must realise you might have to become involved in a war. 

2 minutes ago, The OP said:

Why do they join then?

My grandfather was conscripted into the British Army so I can see him saying he didn't enjoy it but if you join up voluntarily you must realise you might have to become involved in a war. 

To most it's only a job, put food on the family table

10 minutes ago, The OP said:

Why do they join then?

I have witnessed recruiting techniques first hand. They come into schools 5th year+ and tell kids about salaries, free driving licences and the 'bottomless' credit cards they give to recruits courtesy of Barclays.

They don't tell them what to expect. Kids are niave and the UK armed forces front lines operatives average age is 20.

Like most things it boils down to money or low job expectations.

44 minutes ago, Crawford said:

It doesn't glorify the British army. It commemorates all war dead. It's a misconception it's just the British war dead. No one enjoys going to war or killing another. 

Actually, yours is the misconception.

Firstly, it only commemorates soldiers, not the tens of millions of civilians who were killed in the wars since 1914.

Secondly, it originated only in the British empire, and to this day it's only about the soldiers of the Commonwealth.

Thirdly, the money for your poppy only goes to help current and past British servicemen.

Fourthly, the huge increase in expectation levels about wearing poppies, the level of veneration and the ostentatious displays are symptomatic of glorification. Thirty years ago there was a quiet dignity about it, you wore a poppy for a week at most, there were Remembrance Sunday events and there were only minutes' silences at football games that weekend. Now public buildings have to be vomiting poppies, football clubs have to show their poppy credentials for a month like it's advent or something, and it's acceptable to hound a public figure who appears without one - or in Jeremy Corbyn's case, a poppy deemed insufficiently showy. This is all about a growing military fetishism.

And finally, there are plenty of people who enjoy going to war and killing people. The happy, smiling folk in the picture below are Auschwitz camp guards on a work outing. They loved their jobs and believed they were doing good work. There are plenty of people among us who, in the right circumstances, would cheerfully do it all again.

3AuschwitzUSHMM_468x297.jpg

Unfortunately, the poppy has become massively politicised in Scotland with the Old Firm being guilty in equal measure. The chant from the Celtic fans is sickening, but in my view it is no more sickening than the annual full stadium poppy tifo and 'Armed Forces Day' at Ibrox, which is the biggest 'look at us' act of point-scoring that I have ever seen. 

19 minutes ago, Crawford said:

I have witnessed recruiting techniques first hand. They come into schools 5th year+ and tell kids about salaries, free driving licences and the 'bottomless' credit cards they give to recruits courtesy of Barclays.

They don't tell them what to expect. Kids are niave and the UK armed forces front lines operatives average age is 20.

Like most things it boils down to money or low job expectations.

I get all that and you're absolutely right. But surely you're not saying people don't join the army in the realistic expectation that someone's going to put a gun in their hand and tell them to kill people?

13 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
1 hour ago, craigkillie said:
You're not sure what problem a club with strong Irish identity might have with a campaign which glorifies the British army?

At a football game , why the need to sing about something that has zero to do with football?

Why sing about anything at all? It's a football game, not a concert.

12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Of course, the funny thing about all this is the fact that the vast majority of Celtic fans are British.

You cannae say that you will be prosecuted. And possibly hung from the gallows.

Archived