When Will Bigotry Be Addressed In Scottish Football?

6 minutes ago, Estragon said:

No, you most definitely aren't. 

You are, however, perfectly willing to overlook the permanent ubiquity of one of the biggest institutions in the country - Celtic - as compared with a fleeting character in a peripheral sport; in order to make a flawed argument that in order to claim to be offended by something, one must by extension be offended by everything. It's as transparent as it is juvenile. 

I am not saying you must be offended by everything. I am saying you must be offended by almost the same thing.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Red_Dwarf_Posse said:

Never because authorities only want to punish the small teams and avoid the big elephant in the room with Celtic and New Rangers.  Continue to let them away with and it will never go away no matter how many punishments are handed out to the provincial clubs.

Pedantic note: Celtic and The Rangers are also provincial clubs.

3 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Dundee fans weren't singing those words to the same tune that's used at Ibrox in the same way that Celtic fans weren't singing the words to 'Beautiful Sunday' to that tune.

Man Utd and Everton sing Hello Hello as well. Will Celtic fans be calling them orange b*****ds next time they meet?

When Man U supporters sing the Billy Boys against us it does get a reaction, just like they chant “you scouse b*****ds” when we sing the Fields or YNWA.

7 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Dundee fans weren't singing those words to the same tune that's used at Ibrox in the same way that Celtic fans weren't singing the words to 'Beautiful Sunday' to that tune.

Man Utd and Everton sing Hello Hello as well. Will Celtic fans be calling them orange b*****ds next time they meet?

Another point is that is singing about being up to your knees in anyone’s blood not an incitement to violence, a criminal offence and a disgrace in modern society? If we’re being histrionic about songs, let’s set some ground rules.

3 minutes ago, The OP said:

When Man U supporters sing the Billy Boys against us it does get a reaction, just like they chant “you scouse b*****ds” when we sing the Fields or YNWA.

Man Utd don't sing The Billy Boys. 

I've already given you an example that using the same tune does not equate to singing the same song. No football fans sing 'Sloop John B' yet you'll hear that tune in stadiums throughout the UK.

Please stop trying to justify Celtic fans songbook as a "reaction" to opposing fans songs. 

Just now, Dee Man said:

Man Utd don't sing The Billy Boys. 

I've already given you an example that using the same tune does not equate to singing the same song. No football fans sing 'Sloop John B' yet you'll hear that tune in stadiums throughout the UK.

Please stop trying to justify Celtic fans songbook as a "reaction" to opposing fans songs. 

I’m actually genuinely curious now, do Dundee supporters sing “We’re up to our knees in Arab blood”?

2 minutes ago, The OP said:

I’m actually genuinely curious now, do Dundee supporters sing “We’re up to our knees in Arab blood”?

Are you going to start banging on about Palestinians if I say yes?

Is it just me, or has it gotten worse since the offensive behavior at football act was appealed? 

Not saying the act was the greatest thing ever like, but without fear of being charged under the act, they're acting out. 

4 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Is it just me, or has it gotten worse since the offensive behavior at football act was appealed? 

Not saying the act was the greatest thing ever like, but without fear of being charged under the act, they're acting out. 

I can't think of anything that was in the Act that fans can't still be charged for now, and the police haven't changed how they're handling games as far as I can tell.

Just now, HibsFan said:

I can't think of anything that was in the Act that fans can't still be charged for now, and the police haven't changed how they're handling games as far as I can tell.

I would say that it has conincided with the repeal that both sides have upped the fervour of their singing. 

1 minute ago, Netan Sansara said:

I would say that it has conincided with the repeal that both sides have upped the fervour of their singing. 

Can't really say I've noticed an increase, but as long as we're not getting into the fanciful territory I've seen from some non-football fans on Twitter going "oh everything was fine and then the bad men in Holyrood got rid of the Act and it's suddenly a chaotic inferno of sectarian hate."

Quite like the terrible journalism thread is for poor journalism, I reckon this thread should be used as a storage unit for incidents of scummy behaviour by opposition fans.

1 hour ago, The OP said:

I know you're not being serious but I'm pretty sure I recall the Orange b*****ds chant came after the Derry boys were singing the Billy Boys. 

That being said, the songbook is getting worse, going by Sunday and Wednesday. Whilst I think there was a lot more point to the Irish people's armed struggle in 1916 and onwards than there was to the struggle between colonial powers from 1914 - 1918 which will be mawkishly commemorated this month, I don't see what singing Irish Republican Army to the tune of the slosh has to do with that. It's just bams wanting to be offensive. 

I do take issue with people who put singing words on a par with officials, players and managers being assaulted though, which I have seen happening on the match thread. Whataboutery it may be, but until you show me a Scot who has joined dissident republican forces because someone sang the Broad Black Brimmer I think the level of coverage of both types of behaviour is proportionate. 

No. The "Derry boys" were singing, wait for it - 'the derry boys'.

Obviously being of a bigoted persuasion the celtic fans couldn't see beyond it being the same tune as something other and immediately resorted to pelting sectarian abuse at them.

But hey, don't let that get in the way of your "but Miss, he started it" shite.

Just now, RawB93 said:

No. The "Derry boys" were singing, wait for it - 'the derry boys'.

Obviously being of a bigoted persuasion the celtic fans couldn't see beyond it being the same tune as something other and immediately resorted to pelting sectarian abuse at them.

But hey, don't let that get in the way of your "but Miss, he started it" shite.

It is an amazing coincidence that the sectarian razor gang known as the Billy Boys were also known as the Brigton Derry and there is a lyric "We are the Brigton Derry Boys" in the current Rangers version and Dundee have their own Derry Boys version which sprung up independently. 

I am not saying there would not have been an IRA songfest that night. I'm saying 'Orange b*****ds' was specifically sung as a reaction to something. It seems to be a thing which caught on when the Green Brigade chanted it at Bobby Madden when he was giving a traditional Bobby Madden performance v Aberdeen, then everyone chanted it (or Zombie) at Steven Naismith on Sunday when he went down injured. It's a thing unfortunately but it usually happens when something else happens. 

Unfortunately it won't end end time soon.

Its not for nothing that they are known as the "Old Firm."

Sectarianism is the golden goose of Scottish Football.

If there was any desire to stamp it out it would have been eradicated by the powers that be decades ago.

This is never going to go away as long as people, like those Celtic supporters on this site, think that it is perfectly acceptable for people at a Scottish football match, that’s a Scottish football match not a political gathering, to sing songs about the IRA, Ireland in the 17th century, other bits and bobs about Irish history , because these songs aren’t bigoted or sectarian. Celtic FC certainly don’t help with their pre match choice of “music”, or Rangers allowing all sorts of guff to be sold outside their stadium on match days. I just find it sad that supporters of both clubs think that their traditions are more important than sanity.

5 minutes ago, The OP said:

It is an amazing coincidence that the sectarian razor gang known as the Billy Boys were also known as the Brigton Derry and there is a lyric "We are the Brigton Derry Boys" in the current Rangers version and Dundee have their own Derry Boys version which sprung up independently. 

I am not saying there would not have been an IRA songfest that night. I'm saying 'Orange b*****ds' was specifically sung as a reaction to something. It seems to be a thing which caught on when the Green Brigade chanted it at Bobby Madden when he was giving a traditional Bobby Madden performance v Aberdeen, then everyone chanted it (or Zombie) at Steven Naismith on Sunday when he went down injured. It's a thing unfortunately but it usually happens when something else happens. 

So, just to confirm, the sectarian chanting of celtic fans was justified because Dundee fans were singing something which wasn't sectarian? Also that the celtic fans were likely to engage in an "IRA songfest" regardless? 

Glad that's cleared up.

Spoiler

BruisedHatefulLadybug-small.gif

Archived