When Will Bigotry Be Addressed In Scottish Football?

Barely been a mention of Celtic fans disgraceful behaviour other than PoppyScotland bizarrely coming out with the, 'it's only a minority' chat. (https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/dundee/756426/celtic-fans-slammed-for-throwing-fireworks-and-chanting-anti-poppy-song-at-dens-park/ )This isn't a minority and it is quite a regular thing. It is absolutely Scotland's shame and nothing seems to be done about it. On Tuesday night, Celtic had the full IRA song book out and they particularly enjoyed this new ditty:

Then there was the throwing of fireworks at the Dundee fans, to which the police responded by going to the Dundee support and warning the puckle of fans that weren't happy about having firepoppers thrown into the stand where they were seated with their kids. This isn't a one off thing. It needs to be talked about. It needs to be addressed. It's embarrassing that it has barely even merited a mention as it's now just an accepted thing that happens with fans. The other half are just as bad, this isn't an anti-Celtic thing - it's fucking shocking quite frankly that scenes like this now regularly pass without incident.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Until the poppys up their game and speak out about this abhorrent abuse, nothing will happen.

As for the Dundee fans, i'm sure they were on their best behaviour as always and not singing from a book borrowed from another disgusting excuse for a club.

Classic Celtic whataboutery image.png.4590942e6a27db0a9a589e461710fe6b.png

Sad to see, but unsurprising.

Opened this thread expecting to see something about Rangers or Hearts, given that they are the only two clubs in Scotland who sing anything remotely sectarian these days*.

Don't know why I even pretend to be surprised that it was instead somebody moaning about Celtic fans and the poppy.

Is it a classy thing to sing by any means? No, of course not. It's crass and needless and their fans should be embarrassed.

Is it bigoted to be opposed to the poppy? Equally, no. In the very valid opinion of some (including myself), it has been b*****dised into a justification for some truly awful British foreign policy of the latter half of the 20th Century and the first decade of the 21st to boot.

What should have been a fitting symbol of 'never again' and remembering those sent to their deaths by the ruling classes in World War I and to fight fascism in World War II has actually become the exact opposite, as we now remember the fallen in about 10 conflicts we shouldn't have gone into since 1945.

*Celtic sing about Rangers' latest manager being a sad orange b*stards once or twice a season.

The poppy chant will offend some, but it's not sectarian and it's not something that needs to provoke action. That's free speech. If you don't like it, you'd best stay out of the James McClean poppy thread.

The other stuff is something else. If the Scottish football authorities enforced rules on Celtic like UEFFA do, Celtic would be playing in front of empty stands before long. It cracks me up when Celtic fans complain about being oppressed by politicians and the police while they're singing songs in support of flat-out murderers who scarcely even deserve to be called terrorists, and indulging in blatant sectarianism. To them, every group of opposition supporters bar Hibs are "orange b*****ds." They're not suggesting these fans are members of the Orange Order. They're just using that as a term of abuse for protestants.

The power of the OF in Scotland means that the football authorities will never enforce strict liability. When the politicians get involved, all you hear is whining. The whole lot of them give me the dry green boak.

7 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Opened this thread expecting to see something about Rangers or Hearts, given that they are the only two clubs in Scotland who sing anything remotely sectarian these days*.

Don't know why I even pretend to be surprised that it was instead somebody moaning about Celtic fans and the poppy.

Is it a classy thing to sing by any means? No, of course not. It's crass and needless and their fans should be embarrassed.

Is it bigoted to be opposed to the poppy? Equally, no. In the very valid opinion of some (including myself), it has been b*****dised into a justification for some truly awful British foreign policy of the latter half of the 20th Century and the first decade of the 21st to boot.

What should have been a fitting symbol of 'never again' and remembering those sent to their deaths by the ruling classes in World War I and to fight fascism in World War II has actually become the exact opposite, as we now remember the fallen in about 10 conflicts we shouldn't have gone into since 1945.

*Celtic sing about Rangers' latest manager being a sad 0range b*stards once or twice a season.

Chanting ‘orange b*****ds’ in the video above was aimed at Rangers’ latest manager? Sound. 

6 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

*Celtic sing about Rangers' latest manager being a sad *********** once or twice a season.

In the second post Celtic fans are chanting "orange b*****ds" at the Dundee support.

And UEFA have fined Celtic three times in the past seven years for sectarianism-related offences. (Their NINE other fines were for different things, so that's alright...) https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/celtics-history-of-uefa-fines-810987.html 

I literally can't remember the last time I watched a Celtic game and didn't hear a song about the IRA.

3 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Chanting ‘orange b*****ds’ in the video above was aimed at Rangers’ latest manager? Sound. 

Hands up, I take that part back. The original post only had the poppy song in, and I didn't click on the second video as I thought it was a video of a firework not anything about orange b*stards. So we can make that three clubs who indulge in sectarianism. It doesn't change my point that singing about poppies in that way, while moronic, isn't bigoted.

One has to remember that the majority of old firm fans are sub-human pond life are therefore can't realistically be judged on the same level as "normal" human beings. 

The Poppy song isn't bigoted though (unless it has some other nefarious lines I haven't heard). It should only be actually offensive to Facebook "OUR BRAVE BOYS!!!111" types and other military fetishists. 

Both sides are constantly at it. Particularly at away games. The poppy song though? Not having it. I suppose it IS kinda controversial as the tweet suggests, but that's about as much as I'd say about it. That lot sing a lot worse on a semi regular basis. Posters on here support it as well.

2 minutes ago, Briannmataxi said:

Look a like the Dundee support brought it upon themselves. Shouldn't be goading the Celtic fans imo 

I know you're not being serious but I'm pretty sure I recall the Orange b*****ds chant came after the Derry boys were singing the Billy Boys. 

That being said, the songbook is getting worse, going by Sunday and Wednesday. Whilst I think there was a lot more point to the Irish people's armed struggle in 1916 and onwards than there was to the struggle between colonial powers from 1914 - 1918 which will be mawkishly commemorated this month, I don't see what singing Irish Republican Army to the tune of the slosh has to do with that. It's just bams wanting to be offensive. 

I do take issue with people who put singing words on a par with officials, players and managers being assaulted though, which I have seen happening on the match thread. Whataboutery it may be, but until you show me a Scot who has joined dissident republican forces because someone sang the Broad Black Brimmer I think the level of coverage of both types of behaviour is proportionate. 

It's blatantly obvious that the Footballing authorities and the MSM turn a blind eye to sectarianism here, that's clearly highlighted when they play in Europe and don't sing their crap ,because they know they will,and have been fined for it.

The poppy stuff is in bad taste but not sectarian, the IRA stuff is offensive to some , but not sectarian , however songs about 'orange b's' ' killing Catholics' and 'ftp' are...and those ones should result in fines but the SFA are gutless.

Just now, Jdog said:

It's blatantly obvious that the Footballing authorities and the MSM turn a blind eye to sectarianism here, that's clearly highlighted when they play in Europe and don't sing their crap ,because they know they will,and have been fined for it.

The poppy stuff is in bad taste but not sectarian, the IRA stuff is offensive to some , but not sectarian , however songs about 'orange b's' ' killing Catholics' and 'ftp' are...and those ones should result in fines but the SFA are gutless.

The Celtic supporters were singing party tunes against Leipzig. I heard the Broad Black Brimmer loud and clear and there were probably other less tuneful and tasteful numbers. We won't be fined for that. We'll be fined for pyro. 

The most widespread singing of rebel songs at a home game was in Europe against Linfield. I think your theory doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

If there is a difference, I'd say at  domestic away games it's easier for bams to go and they'll go on the same buses and sit together.

Archived