Amateur football is dying

Gary Hamilton

The societal shift away from football teams being formed around a "community"  is also having an effect. Players have no real attachment to a club and so when the going gets tough or they can't be arsed, it's easy to chuck it and start again somewhere else!
This is especially true from a Stirling & District perspective, where I can think of more than a few teams who fold and start again almost every other year. What's the point?
I think this may change in the future if the so called "Community Clubs" manage to achieve the community aspect and create a pathway from youth to adult football. That may create some attachment and loyalty to the club.

Totally agree with this. We had EKYC in our area who had teams up to 19s them nothing. We had started a football academy for 4 year olds with the hope of getting players coming through in 15 years time. However, both Clubs got together and still kept their own identity but formed a Community Club with players from 4 now right through to 80 at walking football. Our Caley team is about 50% players from EKYC so it's worked well and kept a larger % of players in the game at amateur level after youth level who would ordinarily have chucked it. I know not everyone can do this but it has worked well for us.

Totally agree with this. We had EKYC in our area who had teams up to 19s them nothing. We had started a football academy for 4 year olds with the hope of getting players coming through in 15 years time. However, both Clubs got together and still kept their own identity but formed a Community Club with players from 4 now right through to 80 at walking football. Our Caley team is about 50% players from EKYC so it's worked well and kept a larger % of players in the game at amateur level after youth level who would ordinarily have chucked it. I know not everyone can do this but it has worked well for us.

A great example of how thing work Graeme

47 minutes ago, EKYM G said:

The concept of a community club is relatively new but signs are that it looks to be a good model. In Aberdeenshire a couple of well organised youth clubs have started up amateur teams in recent years. A couple of amateur teams have also looked to start youth teams too.

Think the point quite a few folk have made about the lack of players moving from the youths to amateur is key.

Played Saturday morning for a few years there, and we really struggled to get anyone under 23 to come along and play at all. In fact, there are times where the average age of the side could rival my Over 35s team on a Friday night.

We tried approaching under 21 sides and letting them know we would happily take on any of the lads that didn't go to Junior/Caley/etc. but it never yielded any results.

The enthusiam for the game is just not there at the moment!! 

Call it the playstation era , work committments , social changes or any other number of things mentioned.

How do we get it back into the game at all levels, thats the question?

Scottish cup wkd this Sat and I remember the buzz leading up to these games. How many lads get that buzz nowadays? How many will miss these games cause they have something else on this wkd? How many will go out the night and get pished maybe not even make the game coz ah its only amateur fitbaw!!

These attitudes have to change. So you didnt make it as a 16-18 year and now u have to go out in the real world and work, that doesnt mean u still cant go out and play the best game in world!! 

Want to go out and get smashed at the wkd , u can do that after u have played and hopefully won which makes it even better.

Most of the reasons lads dont play anymore are just excuses , theyve lost there enthusiam for the game and cant be bothered with it now, the same reason our national team is becoming a joke and they cant fill the stadium for a home game. 

We are a glass is half empty culture who would rather moan about reasons why we cant do something rather than looking for ways we can do it. 

Attitudes towards football have to change. Its great for fitness, its gives u the opportunity to meet new people, it a great way to relieve stress, it builds friendships and most of all its fun. Theres just some reasons.

For those not lucky enough to make it football then becomes a hobby which the last time i looked a hobby was something u did in ur spare time for enjoyment. Lads need to remember that cause one day they wont be able to play anymore and they will have missed out.

Call it the playstation era , work committments , social changes or any other number of things mentioned.
Scottish cup wkd this Sat and I remember the buzz leading up to these games. How many lads get that buzz nowadays? How many will miss these games cause they have something else on this wkd? How many will go out the night and get pished maybe not even make the game coz ah its only amateur fitbaw!!
These attitudes have to change. So you didnt make it as a 16-18 year and now u have to go out in the real world and work, that doesnt mean u still cant go out and play the best game in world!! 
Want to go out and get smashed at the wkd , u can do that after u have played and hopefully won which makes it even better.
Most of the reasons lads dont play anymore are just excuses , theyve lost there enthusiam for the game and cant be bothered with it now, the same reason our national team is becoming a joke and they cant fill the stadium for a home game. 
We are a glass is half empty culture who would rather moan about reasons why we cant do something rather than looking for ways we can do it. 
Attitudes towards football have to change. Its great for fitness, its gives u the opportunity to meet new people, it a great way to relieve stress, it builds friendships and most of all its fun. Theres just some reasons.
For those not lucky enough to make it football then becomes a hobby which the last time i looked a hobby was something u did in ur spare time for enjoyment. Lads need to remember that cause one day they wont be able to play anymore and they will have missed out.

Scottish Cup weekend still still gets the old butterflies going even though I’m managing now

I

In regard to Auld yin on previous page on doing away with compulsary insurance,I think that is crazy.My club has had three players with breaks in as many months and the monies received from Sportsgaurd has helped those said players.For approximately £230 (option 2) it covers all players and coaches at training and games.I understand it might be a large sum for a smaller club struggling to make ends meet.There should be more option regarding different insurers with tailor made policies .Maybe the governing body should be covering all players/coaches

Whilst I agree that there’s issues regarding numbers of players coming through from youth football. football is about commitment and I think it’s easy to just point finger at players. So many clubs these days can’t field a team and then the next week they’ve folded. I personally feel to many guys running teams throw the towel in when times get tough. I think if you work hard and don’t burn bridges you should always be able to get a team together. Also think over 35s has had a bearing on amateurs as experienced players who teams could count on as squad players are now thinking f**k that I’ll go and play 90 mins on a Friday night.

Whilst I agree that there’s issues regarding numbers of players coming through from youth football. football is about commitment and I think it’s easy to just point finger at players. So many clubs these days can’t field a team and then the next week they’ve folded. I personally feel to many guys running teams throw the towel in when times get tough. I think if you work hard and don’t burn bridges you should always be able to get a team together. Also think over 35s has had a bearing on amateurs as experienced players who teams could count on as squad players are now thinking f**k that I’ll go and play 90 mins on a Friday night.

Great point Chris, I feel the over 35’s offers the guys more competitive football because they see the amateur gaming fading away

Great point Chris, I feel the over 35’s offers the guys more competitive football because they see the amateur gaming fading away

I would say it offers them a Friday night game which leaves the rest of the weekend free for work or whatever. There is a million reasons why it’s failing and not sure what the answer is. I’m all for a stab at summer football as another bad winter will kill even more teams off.

2 hours ago, Gary Hamilton said:

Disagree. Its mostly guys who couldnt play amateur now with the exception of a few players. They play because they want a kick about and/or want their sat spare. Nowt to do with amateur game fading imo.

A bigger impact is sat morning fitba ans its frees up the guys for celtic/rangers games, family or pub in the afternoon. 

Sat morning standard is mostly dire and guys are having to drop standard to they can accomodate the above.

1 hour ago, Gazzah said:

I would say it offers them a Friday night game which leaves the rest of the weekend free for work or whatever. There is a million reasons why it’s failing and not sure what the answer is. I’m all for a stab at summer football as another bad winter will kill even more teams off.

Agreed

Sat morning standard is mostly dire and guys are having to drop standard to they can accomodate the above.

This is a poor comment, there are plenty Saturday morning sides who would give afternoon sides a beating and vice versa. A Saturday morning side got to the final of one of the "majors" last year! Yes there are some poorer quality sides but there is that on Saturday afternoons and Sundays too. Boys play Saturday morning because it suits them, not because they are crap. I know loads of boys playing Saturday mornings who have played junior, and others who would comfortably get games for good Saturday afternoon teams.

10 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

This is a poor comment, there are plenty Saturday morning sides who would give afternoon sides a beating and vice versa. A Saturday morning side got to the final of one of the "majors" last year! Yes there are some poorer quality sides but there is that on Saturday afternoons and Sundays too. Boys play Saturday morning because it suits them, not because they are crap. I know loads of boys playing Saturday mornings who have played junior, and others who would comfortably get games for good Saturday afternoon teams.

Yes granted there is the odd good side like UB and some good players dotted about....but overall its terrible and its getting worse. Years ago you had loads of good sat morning teams now all youve got is two or three. The sat morning leagues are growing but standard is declining imo

And if you read my post it wasnt because i said players were crap i said they wanted to accomodate other plans on sat afty.

100% this. You're a long time retired, these boys will look back and wish they played as often as possible. I wish i could play again. One of the ammie teams i played with in my younger days looked like a nursery at times.... all the boys had to bring the kids to the games because they wanted to play and i think its that simple boys now just dont want to play.

I’ve played amateur football since I was 17. I’m 31 now. Have 2 young kids. Work Monday-Friday with overtime quite regularly available at the weekends. When I was younger I would never miss my football for work and when I do work a Saturday now I usually manage to make my game although I can be late arriving. There has been the odd game the last year or so I’ve missed because I haven’t been able to get away but that’s part of getting older in my opinion. Greater responsibility’s. I can remember being younger and thinking it was crazy the older boys with kids missing games but now I’m in there shoes it is harder to juggle everything. But I make every effort to make my games. My Mrs brings the kids along if the weather is nice cause it’s great for them to be running about outside. But financially(especially this time of year) it is very hard to turn down overtime if you’ve got kids, mortgages, car etc to pay for. I’m lucky I can usually work then play football. A lot of guys not in that boat. But I wonder if younger guys these days are willing to do anything to play on a Saturday? 

7 hours ago, Cbrown4 said:

Bit harsh on guys running teams, having done so myself its is extremely frustrating when your going through your phone book on a sunday morning begging guys to come help, having to organise kits, equipment etc, 

A lot of the guys running teams can feel unappreciated and when players start ripping the piss its no wonder the coaches think "f**k this" 

3 hours ago, quickoverayard said:
9 hours ago, Redondo said:

100% this. You're a long time retired, these boys will look back and wish they played as often as possible. I wish i could play again. One of the ammie teams i played with in my younger days looked like a nursery at times.... all the boys had to bring the kids to the games because they wanted to play and i think its that simple boys now just dont want to play.

Having played ammie football and committed alot of time to it training twice a week and and playing a sat (most times after a morning shift i can appreciate why boys can get scunnered , especially if they dont play regularly. I myself went through a spell where I got fed up and looking for a change had another go at Junior fitbaw which turned out to be a big mistake and I ended up chucking the game probably earlier than I should have. 

Kept myself busy away from football on a Sat and can honestly say I never really missed it. 5 years on and 2 kids later the opportunity came to get into the coaching side of the game which I took and with that came back my hunger for the game (with a vengence) i may add.

I get a game back and forth with the 35s and often join in with the lads at training. What it has made me realise now though is that allthough i never missed it at the time now im back involved i wish i had went back to the amateur game after my year at junior and carried on playing to see if I would have got my hunger back.

The 5 year break away did some good i suppose cause now i have my enthusiam back for the game , i love coaching and trying to improve players. I also look at the game differently now more from a coaching view than a playing one.

My advice to any lad would be to play aslong as u can especially if u are a decent player and then if u have the time when u do finish get involved with coaching and put something back into the game. 

Lastly , from both perspectives playing & coaching and its the old saying u only get out of it what u put in and that is as it allways has been true.  Through the good and the bad give 100% and u will experience more good than bad u can be sure of that.  Nowadays for many reasons ur lucky to get 75% from a majority of lads at ammie level im afraid.