Stenhousemuir -vs- Stranraer

It's the biggest game of the SPFL this weekend as Stenhousemuir entertain Stranraer at Ochilview on Saturday. The Warriors come into the game after an unexpected 1-0 win over Airdrieonians - manager Brown Ferguson called it the team's "most composed performance of the season" - while the Blues were gently bodied by league leaders Arbroath by the same scoreline.

I'd say the sides are evenly matched but I'd be pretty disappointed if we don't win it on Saturday. The victory over the Diamonds saw us win our first away match of the season (and score our first away goal in the process) and I'd like to think we can capitalise on that. I don't know how we'll line up - some mark will have to check to be sure but I don't think we've started consecutive games with the same XI - but we might go with:

- Mark McGuigan - Kevin O'Hara -

- Alan Cook - Sean Dickson - Mark Ferry - Harry Paton - Connor Duthie -

- Ruaridh Donaldson - Morgyn Neill - Conor McBrearty -

- Graeme Smith -

It'll be interesting to see how young Conor McBrearty does, by all accounts he was quite good against Airdrieonians.

Home win, I say. I fancy Kevin O'Hara to score his first goal.

We won pretty comfortably against Stenny at home back in September, but, given both teams’ records this should be a much harder game for us. We’ve yet to win on the road, but did get decent draws at Forfar and Brechin and - as FF says - Stenny should have got a lift from their away win.

Isaac Layne, Chris McGowan and Connor McManus were all out injured on Saturday - be good to get one or two of them back in contention this week.

Not ruling us out though - we are capable of winning this - but we need to start converting more of the sort of chances that we created against Raith and Arbroath!

Looking forward to it.

Cowards tackle from Cook, Stenny players embarrassing themselves by arguing his case.

Well deserved red.

Aye, can't argue with the red card. Although Alan Cook won the ball, he jumped into it from behind Grant Anderson, leaving him with a really sore one. Anderson left the pitch on a stretcher and I hope he makes a quick recovery.

Stranraer deserved the win today. Other than the opening 20 minutes and a brief spell midway through the second half, they were the better team, had the better chances, forced our goalkeeper into making a number of decent saves and scored two decent goals. Other than an early Kevin O'Hara header that flew over the bar and a straightforward shot from Harry Paton in the second half, Max Currie didn't have all that much to do.

It was a really disappointing afternoon, given last week's result at Airdrieonians. We couldn't get to grips with Grant Anderson, who should have had a hat-trick with the number of chances he missed - every time the excellent Kyle Turner got on the ball, he looked to slip in Anderson. We didn't cut off the supply line. We got away with it in the first half but to lose a goal minutes after the restart was rubbish - who was picking up Anderson? I can't get too annoyed about PJ Crossan's goal, we were wide open and got caught on the counter.

It wasn't much fun. Cook's final ball varied between "quite good" and "miles out of the park", Harry Paton appears to be trying to hard at times and Mark McGuigan isn't being used properly. He can't act as a target man. Look at the goals he scored last season - most of them came from him hanging on the shoulders of the last defender and running onto killer balls. We should look to reprise this method or bring in a big focal point at the next opportunity.

Not a great day, all in.

I thought it was a terrible game. Loads of niggle and backchat throughout that the ref never got to grips with. 

We didn't deserve anything from the game. Despite some decent build up play on occasions we barely tested the keeper. Next two games away to Dumbo and home to Raith. We could be in bother by the end of November. 

3 hours ago, beaver1 said:

I thought it was a terrible game. Loads of niggle and backchat throughout that the ref never got to grips with. 

We didn't deserve anything from the game. Despite some decent build up play on occasions we barely tested the keeper. Next two games away to Dumbo and home to Raith. We could be in bother by the end of November. 

Nah , at Dumbo you have a chance things still not right there. And Raith , we blew it, but Forfar took advantage last week , so still have a chance 

that said it’s good to get Arbroath and Wraith out the way back to back , now if we can get 12 to 15 points out of the next 21 , we should be motoring

mon the toon 

6 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Aye, can't argue with the red card. Although Alan Cook won the ball, he jumped into it from behind Grant Anderson, leaving him with a really sore one. Anderson left the pitch on a stretcher and I hope he makes a quick recovery.

We couldn't get to grips with Grant Anderson, who should have had a hat-trick with the number of chances he missed - every time the excellent Kyle Turner got on the ball, he looked to slip in Anderson. We didn't cut off the supply line. 

6 minutes between the red card challenge and Anderson going off, taken to hospital, doesn't sound good at all... update on twitter...

https://twitter.com/StranraerFC/status/1058826684252725248?s=20

Glad to see the nod to Kyle Turner, whenever I see him play I wonder why he's still playing at this level

It was a shite game but Brown highlights the wind being an issue - which makes me ponder why both teams spent most of the first half hoofing it from end to end at a height that looked to be above the height of the stand.

He was surely sent off for the complete leg breaker of a tackle, its a red card all day long and the manager defending that is frankly bizarre. 

Archived