Rovers Rovers v Brechin City

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair play to the Brechin fans. They made a lot of noise and even clapped their team off after a 2-1 defeat. Can’t remember the last time I clapped our lot off after a defeat. It takes a pretty impressive performance for me to clap them off after a victory.

Didn’t understand much of what they were singing but hey ho, I’m sure the Brechin team appreciated it.

The thing I like most about Nisbet is the way he finishes the ball. My brother and I were chatting in the car on the way home about how he seems to have a distinct way of putting the ball high up into the net, clearly something he’s worked on in training. He’s also ice cold when going in one on one. Think of strikers we’ve had in the past who would miss repeated one on one situations (I’m looking at you, Greig Spence) and cost us points. Great touch, wins a fair share of headers and scoring goals for fun. Best striker since Brian Graham.

50 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Fair play to the Brechin fans. They made a lot of noise and even clapped their team off after a 2-1 defeat. Can’t remember the last time I clapped our lot off after a defeat. It takes a pretty impressive performance for me to clap them off after a victory.

Didn’t understand much of what they were singing but hey ho, I’m sure the Brechin team appreciated it.

Compared to recent weeks (months (year and a half)) that was the first time in a while that the fans have seen a high press, more attacking formation and execution of a game of football.  As others have said, it was like night and day compared to previous matches where we would line up with 5 at the back and only really counter than compete man for man.  Every team has their expectations over the season and we're no different.  We know that we're not going to be winning every game but we do expect our team to compete over the 90 minutes and we've not been doing that under Dods.  But what we do expect, at this level at least, to be on a level playing field to the rest of the division as they're predominantly part time teams as well so it should be down to individual performances or the manager to make the difference between the two teams.  We've not had that so yesterday was very refreshing to see the team do the right things, albeit, a mistake to let in Nisbet for the first ultimately the undoing of us.  Listening to a few Raith fans on the way out I overheard one say it was good to get the three points despite being an under par performance from you guys.  Obviously missing three big players had an impact from the Raith perspective but no doubt you'll be happy that McGlynn could see out a win where as under Smith you may not have and i think that could be the closest comparison to how the Brechin fans are feeling despite the defeat.  Under Dods we'd have probably collapsed to a heavier defeat but with Campbell in charge there is renewed hope that things aren't going to be as negative.

Did what we had to. Defended well, worked hard without looking too dangerous up front but after going ahead we were always going to win. 

Brechin were pretty poor and it's a fairly damning indication of Dodds tenure if that was deemed a significant improvement. 

Nisbet is absolutely ridiculous. Looks dangerous if he had any type of space anywhere in the opposition half. If we keep things tight at the back we always have a chance we a striker that good.  

. If we keep things tight at the back we always have a chance we a striker that good.  

Two clean sheets from our eighteen competitive matches this season. Twenty eight conceded. Keeping things tight doesn’t seem to be part of our remit this season - and I’m not really sure why, either. Nobody standing out as performing poorly in that department.

4 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Did what we had to. Defended well, worked hard without looking too dangerous up front but after going ahead we were always going to win. 

Brechin were pretty poor and it's a fairly damning indication of Dodds tenure if that was deemed a significant improvement. 

Nisbet is absolutely ridiculous. Looks dangerous if he had any type of space anywhere in the opposition half. If we keep things tight at the back we always have a chance we a striker that good.  

Yes , at times we looked a bit stretched when Rovers broke but on the whole it was a vast improvement to what we had to endure latterly with Dods. 

Nisbet apart I thought Rovers were quite ordinary.  A lot of passes going astray ,  possibly down to our increased workrate  in midfield.  

As expected our finishing was pretty shabby , given the lack of attacking play  in recent weeks but it was pleasing to see quite a few having a go from distance. Overall though we saw signs that once the confidence returns we will be quite a hard team to beat. 

4 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Yes , at times we looked a bit stretched when Rovers broke but on the whole it was a vast improvement to what we had to endure latterly with Dods. 

Nisbet apart I thought Rovers were quite ordinary.  A lot of passes going astray ,  possibly down to our increased workrate  in midfield.  

As expected our finishing was pretty shabby , given the lack of attacking play  in recent weeks but it was pleasing to see quite a few having a go from distance. Overall though we saw signs that once the confidence returns we will be quite a hard team to beat. 

I agree we are very ordinary, and will continue to be until we get some key players back. 

Thankfully having 10 ordinary players is enough to get by in games like yesterday.  

Archived