Rovers Rovers v Brechin City

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying to remain positive for now anyway. I'd like to think another benefit of being full time is being able to spend the week figuring out a system that makes the most of what we have and deals with these changes. 

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Really need Flanagan to have a good day tomorrow, he's the only real creative source in the midfield. Given how McGlynn threw Stevenson straight into the first 11 against Stranraer a few weeks ago I wouldn't be surprised to see him do the same again tomorrow. Murray is back, aye? If so, I'd go:

Thomson

Murray, Benedictus, Davidson, Crane

Matthews, Nat, Stevenson, Flanagan

Milne

Nisbet

That really is quite a distance from our best 11 when you look at it written down, isn't it? I don't think Milne has been good enough so far, but if we're going to play him then we need to put him in his actual position rather than shunning him out wide where he has no attributes to impact on the game. If he can't positively influence the game in his natural position against a managerless Brechin side I'm unsure if he'll ever do it. Whilst I'm usually against Matthews being wide right, he'll offer Murray more cover defensively. 

I always back us at home; our record speaks for itself, but tomorrow has 'frustrating afternoon' written all over it.

That looks about right but I think he'll swap Matthews and Stevenson and that would allow Matthews to play in his favoured position.

Really need Flanagan to have a good day tomorrow, he's the only real creative source in the midfield. Given how McGlynn threw Stevenson straight into the first 11 against Stranraer a few weeks ago I wouldn't be surprised to see him do the same again tomorrow. Murray is back, aye? If so, I'd go:
Thomson
Murray, Benedictus, Davidson, Crane
Matthews, Nat, Stevenson, Flanagan
Milne
Nisbet
That really is quite a distance from our best 11 when you look at it written down, isn't it? I don't think Milne has been good enough so far, but if we're going to play him then we need to put him in his actual position rather than shunning him out wide where he has no attributes to impact on the game. If he can't positively influence the game in his natural position against a managerless Brechin side I'm unsure if he'll ever do it. Whilst I'm usually against Matthews being wide right, he'll offer Murray more cover defensively. 
I always back us at home; our record speaks for itself, but tomorrow has 'frustrating afternoon' written all over it.

For this one, given we’re missing Hendry and may/will have to stifle the midfield, I’d go old school.

Thomson (or that Ranger lad)

Bene and Crane as full backs. Murray and McKay in the centre.

Davo (omen tune), Matthews, Nat, Flanagan, invisible midfielder

Superstar Nisbet

Matthews has been more box to box and playing in between the lines under mcglynn which has brought about a turn around in his performances. I don't think mcglynn will move him from cm due to that. It's never been said, that iv seen. But Stevenson left Murray far too open against stenny. He didn't really know where he should be defensively but he has had all week to work on that so he will be fine.

If we could actually put out a first string team what would everyone go for?

By the end of the season I’d be happy with;

Wright or Thomson.

Watson, McKay, Bene, Crane

Gillespie, Wedderburn

Vaughan,  Matthews, Flanagan

Duggan, Nisbet

Of course new arrivals (or departures) in the January window could scupper that!

19 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Brechin have obviously got him worried . :lol:

Nah that wasn't JUST for Brechin, that was for every game! :lol:

That's what I get for posting on an empty heid! :shutup

Pre-Match Interviews: 

John McGlynn

Ross Matthews

Interesting game today; Raith without three key players in Regan Hendry, Lewis Vaughan and Grant Gillespie which will be a huge blow to the hosts. However, they're 30 matches undefeated at Stark's Park in the league and that bodes well for the Rovers this afternoon. 

The complexion changed on Tuesday evening with Darren Dods and Lee Bailey leaving Brechin. As a neutral, I thought they were doing a good job and I agree with how McGlynn sums up the situation. However, that may motivate the players more today or it could have the opposite affect. I don't think Raith can do much in this regard as they may face a completely different team and / or formation... 

Good luck to both sides! :thumsup2

Archived