Arbroath v East Fife

Time to get it started I suppose!!!
What is there to say, the two form teams of the Division meeting up, I think it'll be a different side Arbroath will be facing to the one they met earlier in the season, we're a much more cohesive unit than we were then and we're not losing those stupid goals at corners any more!!!
Hope to Christ that Meggatt is back for this one as Saturday showed that he is obviously the glue that holds our defence together, Slattery looked lost without him and I honestly think that Dunlop and Kane are too similar to play together, if he is missing again then I would be pulling Watson back to sweeper beside anyone from Kane and Dunlop also pulling Dunsmore back to RB and starting Thomson at RM, DY may also use it as an excuse to get Linton back in at LB, as he wouldn't be needing to be supervised and talked through the game by Watson in the same way that Meggatt has been doing with Slattery!!!
We're also without Davidson so I would imagine that Sparky will be starting in the middle with Aggy, not the biggest pairing but both more than capable football wise and if Currie is still out it would probably be a chance to start King Kev with either Tonks or Courty!!!
Anyway it should be a tasty game, our record at the Field of Gays is excellent I would hope that that continues, our next two games are massive and I'm kind of glad that our unbeaten record has gone before we come up against the two teams above us!!!
If we win, we narrow the gap and if the Rovers lose we go second that should be all the motivation we need!!!
Hopefully I will be looking out some train pics by 5 o'clock!!![emoji6]

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big reality check for us on Saturday! We will have to be at our best if we're to take anything from this game. I would be delighted with a point. I must say what a fantastic start from Arbroath, the supporters must be buzzing! Can anyone tell me if the arcade place next to ground will be open on Sat? I have my 4 year old all wkend so I was hoping to make this game and sweeten her up in there before going for a bite to eat at Tutties Nuek. Have to say Arbroath is my fav away day, a proper football ground with good banter with the locals!

Big reality check for us on Saturday! We will have to be at our best if were to take anything from this game. I would be delighted with a point. I must say what a fantastic start from Arbroath, the supporters must be buzzing! Can anyone tell me if the arcade place next to ground will be open on Sat? I have my 4 year old all wkend so I was hoping to make this game and sweeten her up in there before going for a bite to eat at Tutties Nuek. Have to say Arbroath is my fav away day, a proper football ground with good banter with the locals!

Pleasureland will be open.

The 3-0 game at Methil earlier in the season was definitely a game where the score didn’t reflect the overall balance of play, how EF didn’t score that day is beyond me. Dowds and Court are two big lads up top for EF, are they used as target men?I saw a Dumbarton fan say that they dealt with long balls pretty well on Saturday, and their defence looked atrocious against us.
As for our team, I’d assume Whatley will come back in for Gold if he is fit. Smith hasn’t done much in any of his appearances but I think Doris will be kept on the bench for this one.

Pleasureland will be open.

The 3-0 game at Methil earlier in the season was definitely a game where the score didn’t reflect the overall balance of play, how EF didn’t score that day is beyond me. Dowds and Court are two big lads up top for EF, are they used as target men?I saw a Dumbarton fan say that they dealt with long balls pretty well on Saturday, and their defence looked atrocious against us.
As for our team, I’d assume Whatley will come back in for Gold if he is fit. Smith hasn’t done much in any of his appearances but I think Doris will be kept on the bench for this one.

Smith has had 4 late appearances from the bench and 2 starts where he's been off after an hour. Done well for goals at Raith and in Methil and although it wasn't his goal still forced the mistake Saturday. Limited amount of minutes.

I'd leave him in, would definitely prefer to have Doris to come on for the last half hour if we're needing a goal than Smith, Doris can't be fit enough to start yet. Would possibly leave Gold in too to be honest. Leave it and keep everyone on their toes.

EF have had some good results but on paper no real individual attacking players that would worry you too much. Obviously a solid team effort and a good unit, they were excellent for a while in the second half in the first game but that lovely 3rd goal we scored killed it off. Just come off the back of a hiding too so be right up for it.

I heard gold played well on saturday, if so it would be harsh to drop him and i would rather whatley came in for smith and put gold on the right

I heard gold played well on saturday, if so it would be harsh to drop him and i would rather whatley came in for smith and put gold on the right

Goldy did ok. I’m sure Gav appreciated all the running that he done

The team lost a stupid goal from a corner on Saturday!

Perhaps but I meant we're not losing them, at least once per game every week, which is what we were doing at the start of the season!!!

Very true regarding the scoreline, but Arbroath still more than deserved the points that day!!!
Dowds and Court aren't really used as target men, they both play with the ball at their feet and run at defenders but they are both big units and will batter your defence all day then, as GordonEF so eloquently put it, Smith and Currie are unleashed to bayonet the wounded and it has worked well for us do far!!!
The defence that Dumbarton ran riot against is not the same one that won us 8 in a row or that played against you lot last time, as I said in the OP Meggatt has been a big player for us in that run since being moved into the centre and he was missing on Saturday. I honestly believe we would not have lost that game had he been playing!!!
Unless of course you were referring to the Dumbarton defence then just ignore that!!!

Yep, the Dumbarton game was a big reality check. I certainly don't think we need to go making wholesale changes but there are obviously a few players on the bench who must be bursting to get a chance so it seems like a good time to say go on and win your place in the team to them.

Davidson obviously needs replacing so it makes sense to put Docherty in beside Agnew in centre mid. Linton and Thomson are two of the more senior players who haven't been getting much game time recently, so I'd be quite happy to start them in place of Slattery and Dunsmore who both were some way off their best on Saturday.

Who to play at right back is a bigger question than it usually would be considering they might be up against Bobby Linn who seems to be on fire at the moment. The full backs will have big jobs on their hands this week. I might be tempted to put Kane at right back and move Watson into the centre beside Dunlop.

Long
Kane, Dunlop, Watson, Linton
Thomson, Agnew, Docherty, Watt
Dowds, Smith

Yep, the Dumbarton game was a big reality check. I certainly don't think we need to go making wholesale changes but there are obviously a few players on the bench who must be bursting to get a chance so it seems like a good time to say go on and win your place in the team to them. Davidson obviously needs replacing so it makes sense to put Docherty in beside Agnew in centre mid. Linton and Thomson are two of the more senior players who haven't been getting much game time recently, so I'd be quite happy to start them in place of Slattery and Dunsmore who both were some way off their best on Saturday. Who to play at right back is a bigger question than it usually would be considering they might be up against Bobby Linn who seems to be on fire at the moment. The full backs will have big jobs on their hands this week. I might be tempted to put Kane at right back and move Watson into the centre beside Dunlop.

Long

Kane, Dunlop, Watson, Linton Thomson, Agnew, Docherty, Watt

Dowds, Smith

As I said in the OP, if Meggatt doesn't play then Watson HAS to play in the centre, and I think Dunsmore would be able to keep up with Linn better than Kane would but then again Kaneo will probably just kick him down to a more manageable pace!!!

If Meggatt is fit, this will be the team;

IMG_4506.jpg.f3b37b36d10636a6a3efc68b150c7c98.jpg

If he isn't then I could see this;

IMG_4507.jpg.e542e66a1f927b6c6ccdef67119f0667.jpg

Gold did play well, but I still think DC will bring Whatley straight back in if he’s fit enough.

Missed the Raer away day but without Whately against Edinburgh we were woeful in midfield. If he's fit then he has to start imo. Probably for Gold unfortunately.

The reason we were ran over in midfield against Edinburgh IMO wasn’t wholly because we didn’t have Whatley. McCord can’t play in a midfield 2 and I don’t think anyone is really sure what type of player Finn Graham is. With Gold in there on Saturday we were fine, for me he has to be our go to back-up centre mid.

The reason we were ran over in midfield against Edinburgh IMO wasn’t wholly because we didn’t have Whatley. McCord can’t play in a midfield 2 and I don’t think anyone is really sure what type of player Finn Graham is. With Gold in there on Saturday we were fine, for me he has to be our go to back-up centre mid.

Goldy has been a massive asset in recent times. A true utility player but with loads of skill and pace. A big part of our recent success.

He’s going to Australia in January [emoji1417]

Also KK not fancy playing pat in the middle instead of Docherty? Just being devils advocate here. Darren has some decisions to make like!

He does have a few decisions to make, but personally I think that is one of his easier ones, Sparky is the better player who is more capable of putting his foot on the ball than Pat is, so I would be starting him in the middle!!!

I'd stick with Gold if he done well in there. Extra incentive for him and for Whatley when he gets back in.

Gold is the kind of player we should be looking to keep at the club long term, always thought he was decent and could never believe the stick he got in his first season. Could tell that in a better team with better players around him he could be a good squad player. Keep him in and give him a chance, if it isn't going well Whatley is always there to put in again, if he's fit.

Archived