Montrose vs Dumbarton

Two teams at the foot of the table coming off the back of good wins square off to see who will be bottom come 4.45pm on Saturday.  For Sons, I don't think there's a case for changing much from Saturday unless Willie Dyer is fit, in which case I imagine he'll come in at left back and we'll use Forbes elsewhere, but really I'm happy with Forbes starting there. 

First visit up to Links Park in a long, long time. I think the last time I was there may have been Dobbie's hat-trick game? Would take a similar result this time round...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We really need to build on Saturday's result and take all 3 from this. If we have no fresh injury concerns I'd stick with the same team. Even if Dyer is fit I'd probably stick with Forbes at left back and allow Forbes to tutor him on how to play his position over the next few weeks.

I certainly wont be expecting 4-0 pumpings every week but a solid run of form would be most welcome.

I'm very excited. Links Park will be 40/42 for me, so I was looking forward to it for that reason already, but Saturday's demolition of East Fife has left me choking for more high-tempo attacking football.

I'd 100% keep Forbes at left-back. He added balance to our back four, and looked far more steady than Dyer, Allardice or whoever else we've turfed over there this season. Add a couple of assists into the bargain too and we'd be mad to drop him - especially for a guy who has struggled since joining.

I said it on the match thread, but I'm really hoping Jim gets Chris Smith's loan deal extended instead of taking Robbie Mutch back. His confidence and communication played a big part in Dowie and Perry both putting in their best performances of the season on Saturday - and his kicking was a handy attacking option.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I hope we stick with the same team as Saturday. Stevie was always chopping and changing, and that probably played a part in our lack of consistency. A run of good form now is vital, and with Montrose and Stenny both around us six points would really shoot us up the table.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Two teams at the foot of the table coming off the back of good wins square off to see who will be bottom come 4.45pm on Saturday.  For Sons, I don't think there's a case for changing much from Saturday unless Willie Dyer is fit, in which case I imagine he'll come in at left back and we'll use Forbes elsewhere, but really I'm happy with Forbes starting there. 

First visit up to Links Park in a long, long time. I think the last time I was there may have been Dobbie's hat-trick game? Would take a similar result this time round...

44 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Gable Endies 1-5 Sons.

Dobbie double-hat-trick, consolation from Greg Henslee and Andy 'Turncoat' Rodgers with a straight red for dissent.

Seem to remember a few more visits up to Links after that game. A 2-1 defeat circa 2007/8 sticks out in my head for the trip where the bus window got smashed by some weans as we were leaving. Also think there was another game that ended with the same scoreline around the same time where the police came on the bus after the game to ask about burglary. Might even have been the same trip that.

3 minutes ago, Sub-Keeper said:

Seem to remember a few more visits up to Links after that game. A 2-1 defeat circa 2007/8 sticks out in my head for the trip where the bus window got smashed by some weans as we were leaving. Also think there was another game that ended with the same scoreline around the same time where the police came on the bus after the game to ask about burglary. Might even have been the same trip that.

Yeah, we had four more trips there. The 5-1 was in the first season of our three year stint in the Third Division.

38 minutes ago, Sub-Keeper said:

Yeah, we've definitely played them after the Dobbie match as I remember friends texting me about the windows being put in, but I think the last time I made the trip was the Dobbie match.

Where's best for a pre-match drink or 4, Mo fans?

Montrose seem like a real wild card. An impressive away win at Brechin, but gubbed at home the previous week by a poor Airdrie side. From what I've heard, they like to play on the counter, which possibly explains why their away form is pretty decent. Three points would be really nice to keep the momentum going, but I do think the old 'first goal is important' cliche will be relevant here.

I would keep Forbes at LB, even if Dyer is fit. I'd also echo Ross Forbes' comments about hoping its an unchanged team.

The Golf Inn is the nicest, but is a bit out of the way from the train station, or Market Arms on the High St . Definitely not the Star Bar.
Definitely not the star bar how come?

1 minute ago, mo83 said:
16 minutes ago, FifeSons said:
The Golf Inn is the nicest, but is a bit out of the way from the train station, or Market Arms on the High St . Definitely not the Star Bar.

Definitely not the star bar how come?

Is it not pretty rough, from what I remember? Very cheap though tbf.

1 minute ago, mo83 said:
2 minutes ago, FifeSons said:
Is it not pretty rough, from what I remember? Very cheap though tbf.

Nah I wouldn't say it is,maybe years ago but fine now to be fair.

Ah fair enough, my experiences are about 10 years out of date!

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Yeah, we've definitely played them after the Dobbie match as I remember friends texting me about the windows being put in, but I think the last time I made the trip was the Dobbie match.

Where's best for a pre-match drink or 4, Mo fans?

Try the Tally-ho for a quiet drink in pleasant surroundings, or if you're coming up via the A92, sample the delights of the quaint fishing village of Ferryden and Diamond Lil's. ;)

Well, the Tally To shut down at least 20 years ago so don't go looking for it.

If you want some Scran, the first place you'll find will be the Picturehouse  just up from the station.

Across the high street is the Market Arms. Good decent pub all the time.

Golf Inn is a very good boozer and probably the closest to the park but in the opposite direction from the high street. 

Avoid the Star Hotel. As said before,  it's a coup.

Eventually make your way to the British Legion which is, well, about 10 seconds walk from the gate. 

or if you're coming up via the A92, sample the delights of the quaint fishing village of Ferryden and Diamond Lil's. [emoji6]

As I've been drinking in Diamond Lils for around 20 years I can confirm it's unique.
Be quiet midday Saturday mind but you'll get some good food.

Bit nervous about this game after The Sons result on Saturday and with Arbroath away following a tough 2 weeks upcoming.
But hopefully we go with the same frontline and a bit of confidence flowing through the team after Saturday.
I get the impression that the team are still a pretty close group and the spirit is good.

Hopefully Saturday win will boost the confidence but can't read too much into it because Brechin were feckin awful. Important game for both teams as a win could leave them half way up the table. We really need to get our home form sorted as our only win at home so far has been well, Brechin.

I'd settle for a scrappy 1 goal victory. 

Archived