Record Attendance outside Glasgow

HibeeJibee

6 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Would I be correct in saying today's crowd of 61,161 at Murrayfield for Hearts v Celtic is the second-highest ever in Scottish history outside Glasgow: exceeded only by 65,840 at Hibs v Hearts on 2nd Jan 1950?

Although tbf the crowd at Murrayfield was limited by the capacity. Possibly another 20,000 tickets could have been sold.

My old man was at that hibs, hearts game. He said that he had some sweets in his pocket for eating but because he was so crushed up among other people, he could not get his hands into his pockets to get them.

27 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

For a football match maybe although Murrayfield's record attendance is 104,000 for a 5 nations rugby international v Wales in 1975.

I'll stick to fitba.

There were 60,000+ at Mons Graupius in AD83 and 100,000+ lined Edinburgh's streets for Thomas Chalmers' funeral in 1847...

58 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

For a football match maybe although Murrayfield's record attendance is 104,000 for a 5 nations rugby international v Wales in 1975.

That was only the ones who got in.  I was there with some fellow egg-chasers from Motherwell and, even though we had tickets, didn't get anywhere near a turnstile.  

7 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

That was only the ones who got in.  I was there with some fellow egg-chasers from Motherwell and, even though we had tickets, didn't get anywhere near a turnstile.  

That's usually the way attendances used to be measured...

I'll stick to fitba.

There were 60,000+ at Mons Graupius in AD83 and 100,000+ lined Edinburgh's streets for Thomas Chalmers' funeral in 1847...
There were 300,000 in Bellahouston Park on 1 June 1982, for the visit of Pope John Paul II [emoji2].

• 1 month later...

Archived