St Mirren vs Motherwell Halloween Relegation Horrorshow

New St Mirren Park is probably the opposition Stadium I’ve seen Motherwell lose the most in. I’m sure we’ve only won once or twice in general. That added to how frighteningly bad we are leaves me expecting a defeat.

Hopefully I’m proved wrong and we see some signs of life.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been to St Mirren quite a few times now, and few happy memories of the place from a football point of view, although always enjoy the wee away day on the train to Paisley via a few pubs near Central and the wee bowling club near the ground. 

The game which basically condemned us to 2nd bottom in the play-off year with Skippy sent off was a particular low. 

Not expecting anything much better in this one with Saints as desperate for points as us. 

Can see a score draw on the cards which, although not disastrous, won't do much for the stability of Robinsons' future at the helm with the baying for blood reaching fever pitch before Dundee come calling a few days later. 

Don’t think it’s overstating it to say this a season defining week for us and Robinson.

We play Saints then Dundee- Dundee play Celtic before us on Wednesday and St Mirren play Rangers after us on Saturday. Two wins and we could quite conceivably open up a 7/8  point gap over the pair of them, giving Robinson some much needed breathing room from the pressure he’s currently under.   

Lose both and we’ll be bottom of the table with Robinson probably getting his jotters this time next week.

All quite exciting really.

This is absolutely massive for us as a club and for Stephen Robinson as manager. It is a must win game and there are no two ways about it. A draw wouldn't be acceptable here, not when we are playing one of the two sides below us and we are only sitting on five points at the end of October.

I think we'll scrape an awful match 1-0 and that will be down to St.Mirren being even more pish than we are more than anything but a wins a win so I'd take that.

So aye, 1-0 with Bowman scoring.

Will be surprised if we get anything from this game. We're far too lightweight at the moment, and given that this Motherwell side are known for their physicality,  I can unfortunately see us being brushed aside. I hope I'm proven wrong. 

Watched Well in the 3-3 draw with Rangers and thought they looked great.

Genuinely surprised to see them in this position.

Saints have played a lot better at home than on the road since OK arrived, and matched both Hibs and Killie over the 90 minutes.

But if Ferdinand is still out, and our goal scoring (and even chance creation) problems continue, I can't see us even drawing here.

Anybody know if Magennis is close to a return? Missing him so badly.  (Mackenzie and Eckersley would be good to see back too, but think they're out much longer term).

Legit into "must win" territory for Robinson here. With that in mind I can't see it being anything other than the "3-5-fucking 2".

Given the emphasis on players he "trusts" it'll be quite interesting to see how that manifests itself in our line-up. McHugh's apparently available again going by the team news on the official site however Turnbull was one of the few positives against St. Johnstone and given Charlie Dunne played the 90 mins you'd think he's nailed on to be back in.

If he stays true to type it'll be the full shitfest starting XI that Robinson goes with:

Carson
Aldred Hartley Dunne
Cadden Campbell McHugh Rose Tait
Main Bowman

We've started Main and Bowman in the last 5 games (including the Hearts QF) and we've scored 4 goals. In fairness those 4 have been scored by...Main and Bowman. However in the 4 games prior to that with Main and Johnson (including the Livi LC game) we scored 7 and also happened to be our best run of form since the start of the league campaign W 2 D 1 L 1.

It goes without saying that the Right Said Fred pairing against Hibs and Accies was a waste of everyone's time but f**k me, wilfully going with an apparently less effective forward pairing isn't doing Robinson (or us) any favours.

Much as this is 'must win' for Motherwell, its already in the same territory for us. 

We simply cannot afford to stumble through to January not picking up points. I've more or less written off anything on our travels between now and New Year but we have been at least a bit better with home performances even if results haven't been great. Hamilton and Motherwell at home this side of the window are two huge opportunities to not get cut adrift and we must be targetting full points from both. 

I’ve got a season ticket and I’m thinking about giving it a miss. We are by some distance the worst team in this league. It makes for painful viewing and I can’t honestly see where our next point is coming from. 

Motherwell will do what other teams do at this level and bully us all over the park. 

22 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

New St Mirren Park is probably the opposition Stadium I’ve seen Motherwell lose the most in. I’m sure we’ve only won once or twice in general. That added to how frighteningly bad we are leaves me expecting a defeat.

Hopefully I’m proved wrong and we see some signs of life.

Where is this New St Mirren Park ? 

Was maybe the new St Mirren Park nearly 10 years. 

Just St Mirren Park will do or it can be called by its Sponsor's name. 

Anyway, 

Saints 2 Motherwell 0

Crowd  4987

Considering we've only mustered 10 (19 all season) shots on target at home and suffered 27 (60) against.  I reckon it should be pretty straight forward for Motherwell on Wednesday night as we seem to welcome teams to shoot on a constant basis and they've certainly got players that can put the ball away.

We're horrific all over the park. I haven't seen anything in OK to suggest he's improved the team from Stubbs to be honest. However, to be fair to him, he's dealing with a squad full of players he doesn't want.

January is a big month. If we can manage to limp towards the window still in touch with the rest it'll be a miracle. 

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I’ve got a season ticket and I’m thinking about giving it a miss. We are by some distance the worst team in this league. It makes for painful viewing and I can’t honestly see where our next point is coming from. 

Motherwell will do what other teams do at this level and bully us all over the park. 

Exactly my thinking or sit in the house and get dragged about trick or treating with the mrs and kids, it's a flip of a coin really

Archived