St Mirren vs Motherwell Halloween Relegation Horrorshow

That dive from Ryan Edwards - wow! He looked rightly shame-faced and didn't argue with his booking.

It did get me thinking though, Edwards gets caught diving and gets a yellow card. Jones dived for Kilmarnock- it's not spotted and he gets a two game ban retrospectively. Same offence but completely different punishments only based on whether the ref sees it or not.

Wouldn’t be against the idea of retrospective action being taken in this instance, he most certainly won’t be missed.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got no idea why Edwards was played out on the left. He was constantly cutting inside onto his right or, more often than not, passing it straight back to whomever gave him the ball. In the 2nd half it looked like players were refusing to pass to him, despite the acres of space he usually found himself in.

Flynn's challenge was awful and 100% a red.

The highlight of the match was undoubtedly the pitch invader falling on his arse.

8 hours ago, Swello said:

Just saw the red on Alba - surely they will appeal that one - nothing in it.

I think we're all fairly comfortable with the suspension, as it goes.

I'd love to say this league has been fun while it lasted, but we appear to have peaked on the opening day.

You know it's bad when even Morton fans have finally plucked up the courage to show their faces on one of your threads again.

Clearly any sort of takes need to be viewed with the caveat that not only were they toothless but just generally St Mirren seem an absolute gang. Also, they've got Craig Samson in goals.

Overall though it seemed a (baby) step in the right direction. Not only did we seem to have a bit of composure in the middle of the park but while Bowman was his usual chaos factor self the ball actually stuck up top with Main. Cadden's goal typified that. We seemed to be purposely knocking the ball to his feet rather than just launching it 50 yards then seeing it come straight back.

Just generally speaking the fact we were willing to take a touch and make a 5 or 10 yard pass was a positive.

Grimshaw may not be a particularly good footballer but his running took us up the park and created a bit of space. David Turnbull's an absolute #baller but having both him and Bigi available to pick up 2nd balls and receive the ball from Main meant everyone seemed able to get 15-20 yards further up the park than we have been.

Fair fucks to Robinson, not only for going with the diamond but for sticking Turnbull and Bigi in the same midfield. He's changed the system and the players have executed it pretty well. Not only was it a much needed result it was more than a 'papering over the cracks' type performance.

Clean sheet as well lads.

I thought the new young manager at St.Mirren would have been able to turn it around by now . very difficult job on his hands,no wins in ten 

But you cant keep changing mangers after a few months no point 

Hope he will get 3/4 months to change the squad am unsure if he has good contacts this side of the water 

12 hours ago, MJC said:

So far, so good but we need a second goal otherwise anything can/will happen.

Pity we can't play against a side with Samson in goals every week.

And yet a lot of saints fans won't hear a bad word said against him.

He is fucking honking!

9 hours ago, Swello said:

f**k all that nonsense, how were the beans? #beans

Truth be told, I've not been all that well this week, and stomping through Paisley in the rain didn't help, but a wee tray of beans with your pie?

I'd have left happy right there. #beans

44 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Fair fucks to Robinson, not only for going with the diamond but for sticking Turnbull and Bigi in the same midfield. He's changed the system and the players have executed it pretty well. Not only was it a much needed result it was more than a 'papering over the cracks' type performance.

Also worth pointing out that cadden's goal which started off with a throw in on the other side of the pitch actually had about 3 one touch passes in a row and is probably one of the best (if not the best) team goals we have scored under Robinson

I can only assume my eyes were playing tricks on me due to the distance but about 5 minutes in we played a cross into the box which made its way to Main. It looked as though he just had to tap it in but took a touch and got crowded out. It's not in the highlights which suggests it wasn't as clear cut as I thought at the time. Can anyone who saw it on Alba clarify?

Watching the game on Alba last night brought back that period with Samson in goals for us. It's not that he makes total howlers (although he had a few) - it's more the confidence draining effect he has on a defence by poor handling, poor decision making and general indecisiveness. The biggest upgrade in any position we've had for years was Carson for Samson.

I always thought Samson was a fairly decent shot stopper (albeit he wasn't last night) but in stopping said shots he always had a knack of palming the ball straight to the feet of an opposition player who then just had to tap it in.

Was disappointed to have purchased my pie last night and receive no beans with it, especially after not having time for a dinner but anyway, probably the only negative of the night in the end. 

Didn't even see the lineup til the teams walked out, and I was a little baffled at Cadden at RB, and Grimshaw in front of him in a diamond midfield, but as the game went on this proved to be a superb decision, with Cadden being the best we've seen him for a long time, and Grimshaw putting in a hell of a shift. Fully on board the Turnbull is an absolute baller train as well - I'm sure he'll score far better 25 yarders than he did last night, but after our season with Craig Samson in goals it was no surprise we'd him to thank for getting the ball rolling for us. 

Feel bad for St Mirren - a squad that seem out of their depth right now, after a strange old summer for them. Red card looked a harsh decision from the behind the goals angle we had on it, but on a zoomed in replay angle caught on Twitter with how high Flynn is coming in, you can see why half our team sprinted over straight away for the tackle. 

Not had too much to celebrate this season, but with Saturday on the cards don't want to be getting too ahead of ourselves and make sure we go and finish the job on Saturday to complete the target for the week - although we'd have to be pretty awful to give Dundee anything after how bad they've been of late. 

27 minutes ago, Swello said:

Watching the game on Alba last night brought back that period with Samson in goals for us. It's not that he makes total howlers (although he had a few) - it's more the confidence draining effect he has on a defence by poor handling, poor decision making and general indecisiveness. The biggest upgrade in any position we've had for years was Carson for Samson.

The strange thing is Samson has kept the score down in a lot of games this year. We do have Danny Rodgers who has been signed to warm the bench. 

19 minutes ago, BigTamMuller said:

Feel bad for St Mirren - a squad that seem out of their depth right now, after a strange old summer for them. Red card looked a harsh decision from the behind the goals angle we had on it, but on a zoomed in replay angle caught on Twitter with how high Flynn is coming in, you can see why half our team sprinted over straight away for the tackle. 

Can see why it was given. Even if it was a totally harsh card, I don't think anyone's under any illusions that it might have affected the outcome.

Thought the defence played ok tonight with the exception of one free  header. Motherwells chances all came from our midfielders not picking players up, The same midfield that is also offering nothing going forward. 

Samson should have saved the first but it wasn't a total howler . Skidding swerving dipping shot in the pissing rain and he made an arse of it.  Think it was Cammy Smith who wandered over to the right wing for little reason and left him unmarked for the shot.

Wouldn't appeal Flynns red card as he won't be missed anyway . Edwards is all effort and no end product other than a mortifying bit of cheating.

We have a midfield and attack of average height players and by the looks of it average ability at this level .  As Oran said in his post match , too many taking the easy option of punting it long.

We'd be as well to play Cody Cooke up front as poor as he looked in the betfred cup. If we are going to punt it long we might as well have someone up there thats a decent size. He got a bit of praise from AM for his performance in the reserves as well.

Jones is meant to be able to play defensive mid as well . It might be worth having him in there to try and add some spine to the midfield.

Archived