Ayr v Alloa

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re Crawford adding "Bite" to midfield surely that was a joke, he can't protect the left back whilst playing left mid, so I fail to see how he adds bite to central mid. One of the major improvements this season is that we now have a combative, controlling central midfield the best we have had for many years, to go back to Robbie Crawford running around "nearly" making tackles would be a massive step back, if Kerr is to be rested it has to be Bell in with Murdoch, Adams at C/Back and swap with Bell on Saturday when Kerr comes back in if big Jamie needs a rest. Re Docherty he's not ready on the back of one substitute appearance to come straight back in, this game will be very tough as usual, we must be as close to our best 11 as possible. Doohan,Smith,Adams,Rose,Harvie,Geggan,Bell,Murdoch,McDaid,Moffat,Shankland for me

2 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

Tells you how far we’ve come when you’re properly buzzing for a Tuesday night home game to Alloa! It’s the old mans birthday so out for dinner then a few jars before going to watch the super.

Hope your not taking him for a 2 for 1 Callum.

I think this could be a very tough mach tonight as Alloa have some good recent form and even when they've lost, it's been narrowly. Given our recent record against them is also poor, then I'd take another scrappy 3 points similar to Saturday.

On the plus side, the fact we're full time and they're part time plus we have the benefit of rotating our squad then we should hopefully make that count.

Nothing against McDaid or Moore but I'd definitely be bringing Moffat and Forrest back for this one and would also have a back 4 of Harvie, Smith, Bell & Rose. Midfield of Murdoch, Forrest, Geggan, McGuffie, with Moffat in the hole and Shankland up top. 

McDaid & Moore kept in reserve to cause havoc in the last 25-30 mins..............

4 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

Tells you how far we’ve come when you’re properly buzzing for a Tuesday night home game to Alloa! It’s the old mans birthday so out for dinner then a few jars before going to watch the super.

I used to hate spending £34 on the train for home midweek games during the Winter. Not for this team though!

4 hours ago, Mod1967 said:

Re Crawford adding "Bite" to midfield surely that was a joke, he can't protect the left back whilst playing left mid, so I fail to see how he adds bite to central mid. One of the major improvements this season is that we now have a combative, controlling central midfield the best we have had for many years, to go back to Robbie Crawford running around "nearly" making tackles would be a massive step back, if Kerr is to be rested it has to be Bell in with Murdoch, Adams at C/Back and swap with Bell on Saturday when Kerr comes back in if big Jamie needs a rest. Re Docherty he's not ready on the back of one substitute appearance to come straight back in, this game will be very tough as usual, we must be as close to our best 11 as possible. Doohan,Smith,Adams,Rose,Harvie,Geggan,Bell,Murdoch,McDaid,Moffat,Shankland for me

Absolutely agree Robbie provides little to no defensive cover when playing on the wing - cannot defend against pace is my guess. But in the central midfield role he clearly prefers I would say he does show bite - completing for second phase especially,  I don't know squat technically about football but I guess it's a different sort of tackling technique when the ball carrier hasn't got the chance to get a head of steam up. Anyway to me he shows more defensively, and offensively too, in central midfield.

To the earlier poster who saw Robbie as one of our more creative players, well creative to me from central midfield is popping passes left, right and centre - the Kerr or Doc role - but I get what you're saying if you are looking for a someone to beat an opponent. Robbie does that well, on his day, but that is more valuable on the wings and his overall game is surely better central midfield? All just opinions...    

Absolutely agree Robbie provides little to no defensive cover when playing on the wing - cannot defend against pace is my guess. But in the central midfield role he clearly prefers I would say he does show bite - completing for second phase especially,  I don't know squat technically about football but I guess it's a different sort of tackling technique when the ball carrier hasn't got the chance to get a head of steam up. Anyway to me he shows more defensively, and offensively too, in central midfield.
To the earlier poster who saw Robbie as one of our more creative players, well creative to me from central midfield is popping passes left, right and centre - the Kerr or Doc role - but I get what you're saying if you are looking for a someone to beat an opponent. Robbie does that well, on his day, but that is more valuable on the wings and his overall game is surely better central midfield? All just opinions...    
In the home game against Thistle on the opening day I thought Robbie absolutely ran the show from the middle of the park.

I'm amazed he plays out wide so often.

On 28/10/2018 at 08:53, Trogdor said:

As D'Jaffo said Alloa caused us problems at Somerset last season and Goodwin will have them setup to give us trouble again. This wont be a cake walk but we are favourites.

I reckon the gaffer will rest Crawford, Kerr & Moore

Team:

Doohan

Smith Bell Rose Harvie

Forrest Murdoch Geggan McDaid

Moffat Shankland

Bench  - Hare-Reid, Adams, Docherty, Crawford, Moore, McGuffie, Kerr

Called it! :thumsup2

I'll be listening on aumedia tonight.

2-0 to the Super. McDaid & Shankland.

Also, Goodwin to get sent to the stand for some reason as well!

Archived