Ayr v Alloa

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought the first goal would be put down as an OG, I was in line with it and it looked like Shanks shot was going across the goal more than in  the net. Fairly routine win, which is something that feels a bit odd saying in the Championship.

Alloa battled well and we weren't at our best, however in the end it was comfortable. Smith was outstanding tonight and Forrest was also good but I felt Moffat had a pretty poor game and just nothing came off for him tonight, however we'll let him off this time !!

I didn't think Alloa were the worst team we've faced but they definitely lacked a cutting edge but I can see why they cause teams some problems.

Anyway, it's another 3 points on the board, no injuries, no bookings, and back to the top of the league, what's not to like.................

Took us too long to get going. Night and day with Saturday's game although I definitely liked the team that finished the game far better than the one that started. Zanatta, Shields and Burt all anonymous. Cawley came on and made a definite impact. If he'd have managed to score the 1 on 1 then that might've set the cat amongst the pidgeons. The second goal like the first we could not get the ball clear and the late 3rd a rare mistake from Andy left a gaping hole in the middle.

Trouten came on, initiated some passing and missed a header and Spence playing up front could actually hold the ball up which Zanatta had struggled to do.

Comfortable for 70 mins then McCall changes it and it becomes far closer than it should have been.

Murdoch & Geggan were mopping up everything in the middle of the park, giving Alloa no time to settle. Replacing Geggan with Crawford in the middle was a mistake which McCall thankfully realised fairly quickly by throwing on Adams and moving Robbie out to the left.

McDaid on the right hand side doesn’t work for me, he’s far more effective on the left and drifting inside.

Alloa were extremely well organised and you can see how they’ve managed to surprise plenty of sides this season.

Top of the table, don’t wake me up.

6 minutes ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

Comfortable for 70 mins then McCall changes it and it becomes far closer than it should have been.

Murdoch & Geggan were mopping up everything in the middle of the park, giving Alloa no time to settle. Replacing Geggan with Crawford in the middle was a mistake which McCall thankfully realised fairly quickly by throwing on Adams and moving Robbie out to the left.

McDaid on the right hand side doesn’t work for me, he’s far more effective on the left and drifting inside.

Alloa were extremely well organised and you can see how they’ve managed to surprise plenty of sides this season.

Top of the table, don’t wake me up.

The only thing I'll say about the substitutions was that we weren't playing like we needed changes at that point, no harm done, 3 points in the bag and back at the top.

8 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

I spend most games these days watching Michael Rose stroll through games and cringing at how livid I was when we re-signed him.

Beamer. 

He's some boy.

image.jpeg.4d3acf10640042d23875122616f57a26.jpeg

I hate to pick favourites, but apart from Sir Lawrence I'd say that Liam Smith & Michael Rose are our 2 most prized assets at the moment, but, they're all good and all playing their part right down to guys such as Craig McGuffie, David Ferguson and even our injury ravaged Captains Docherty and Higgins, who is supposed to be great in and around the dressing room.

Another great thing about last night and our season in general is the lack of bookings we're picking up, apart from Harvies 2 reds, we've hardly even had anyone booked, which again is a pleasant change from the norm !!

4 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I hate to pick favourites, but apart from Sir Lawrence I'd say that Liam Smith & Michael Rose are our 2 most prized assets at the moment, but, they're all good and all playing their part right down to guys such as Craig McGuffie, David Ferguson and even our injury ravaged Captains Docherty and Higgins, who is supposed to be great in and around the dressing room.

Another great thing about last night and our season in general is the lack of bookings we're picking up, apart from Harvies 2 reds, we've hardly even had anyone booked, which again is a pleasant change from the norm !!

Hard to get booked when you don't give the other teams a shot of the ball.

We weren’t great last night but playing meh and winning 3-0 shows how far we have came as a club the past couple of years.  Alloa were ok but offered nothing in the final third. I think they look weaker than they did last season. Greig Spence, for example is a average league 1 player and miles out his depth in the league. Same with the majority of that squad I’m afraid. I never felt there was any risk of us not winning that game admittedly 3-0 probably flattered us a little bit.

Very decent crowd aswell. Just shy of 1700 home fans to watch us on a freezing cold Tuesday night against Part time dross. 

Archived