Falkirk v Ross County

Quite strange to be disappointed with a point but that was comfortably our best performance of the season. We were happy for County to have the ball and tbh they weren’t really doing a lot to hurt us we were quite easily dealing with everything they were throwing at us until Vigurs put one into the top corner. Great strike and that gave Mitchell no chance. Even after the goal we didn’t fold like we have done recently our defence still kept together and we didn’t look like conceding again. Jordan McGhee strolled it, Tommy Robson was unlucky for the equaliser imo but what an engine he has and thought he was great and Aero plays better when he’s injured. The last 10 minutes after he was fucked he was tremendous.

The front 2 were absolutely fantastic. Ran themselves into the ground, always showing for the ball and their pace on the counter was causing all sorts of problems. Petravicius in particular deserved his MoM. If we keep him up front there’s absolutely a player in there, deserved his reception when he went off. Would’ve been some goal if his shot had went in after that run.

Really wasn’t a lot of failures in the team. I agree McKee was pretty anonymous at times and Paton well he was better than he has been recently but still not good enough. Still Nae idea how he missed that chance and what was up with that backpass when he was around 15 yards inside Ross County’s half?

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was utter balls.
Was surprised we went with the same 11 again, and surprised we went with the same shape given Falkirk's back 5.
Meant no space through the middle, which meant passing it up the flanks to swing it in at McKay on his own against 3 centrebacks.

Kelly and DKD didnt link very well down the left, with Kelly not pushing the overlap fast enough, and DKD slowing things down and drifting into the shitfest in central midfield too much. He was pretty poor today, looked lightweight and he never got into the game - Gardyne was a miss.
On the right Mullins looked like hed been told to get alongside McKay but 1) hes not a striker, and 2) this left Stelios (a leftback with no right foot) covering the whole rightwing.
So first half we had lots of space out wide for our three central midfielders to play pedestrian passes into, then we would send futile crosses in.

Second half we brought on Brian Graham and slowly became more of a threat. But with DKD goin off we lost  a left winger leaving just Kelly on the left, and Stelios still couldnt cross a ball meaning effevtively just Mullin on the right. So we were still dominating but still not seeming like we'd actually score, till McManus came on for Cowie and the ball would finally stick up front.
That said it took a wonder goal from Vigurs to equalise, top corner from distance.

Falkirk sat in well, and seemed to take advantage of Stelios in particular, harrying him onto his weaker foot and targeting his lack of height and uncomfortable positioning. I really felt for him, shite gig when youre out of position.
They also did a good job on Vigurs, who was gettin very frustrated.

Whenever Falkirk won the ball back theyd break in numbers, which our midfield seemed happy to let them do.
On one break Vigurs idled back and 3 Falkirk players steamed past him at once.
It was screaming out for someone like Draper to play in there and break things up, but he was in defence...
Having broken through our midfield they would come up against Kelly (arguably the weakest member of our first team, tho hes been improving a lot), Watson (our backup rightback playing centrehalf), Draper (our holding midfielder playing centrehalf, see above) and Stelios (our backup leftback playing rightback).
Was not comfortable viewing.
Falkirk had several really good opportunities throughout the match, obviously getting a goal from one, they were a real attacking threat for most of the game.

Was awful from us really.
At the time i thought it was mainly down to shape and attitude, especially first half. Changed shape and switched on more second half.
But we also had 5 of our first 11 missing, including captain and vice-captain (if you count Draper as missing from midfield).
Not rocket science for the opposition to put up a back 5 and sit in, then gallop through the midfield which is missing its holding midfielder, and run straight at the franken-defence.
Admittedly, Morton didnt do it!
Maybe more to do with shape and attitude... dunno, im rambling now tryin to make sense of why we were so poor.

tldr: we were not good enough in many ways; Falkirk had our number and put in a great shift; we really need some of these injuries to clear up for the Caley game.

5 hours ago, dingdong1929 said:

That was utter balls.
Was surprised we went with the same 11 again, and surprised we went with the same shape given Falkirk's back 5.
Meant no space through the middle, which meant passing it up the flanks to swing it in at McKay on his own against 3 centrebacks.

Kelly and DKD didnt link very well down the left, with Kelly not pushing the overlap fast enough, and DKD slowing things down and drifting into the shitfest in central midfield too much. He was pretty poor today, looked lightweight and he never got into the game - Gardyne was a miss.
On the right Mullins looked like hed been told to get alongside McKay but 1) hes not a striker, and 2) this left Stelios (a leftback with no right foot) covering the whole rightwing.
So first half we had lots of space out wide for our three central midfielders to play pedestrian passes into, then we would send futile crosses in.

Second half we brought on Brian Graham and slowly became more of a threat. But with DKD goin off we lost  a left winger leaving just Kelly on the left, and Stelios still couldnt cross a ball meaning effevtively just Mullin on the right. So we were still dominating but still not seeming like we'd actually score, till McManus came on for Cowie and the ball would finally stick up front.
That said it took a wonder goal from Vigurs to equalise, top corner from distance.

Falkirk sat in well, and seemed to take advantage of Stelios in particular, harrying him onto his weaker foot and targeting his lack of height and uncomfortable positioning. I really felt for him, shite gig when youre out of position.

Whenever Falkirk won the ball back theyd break in numbers, which our midfield seemed happy to let them do.
It was screaming out for someone like Draper to play in there and break things up, but he was in defence...
Having broken through our midfield they would come up against Kelly (arguably the weakest member of our first team, tho hes been improving a lot), Watson (our backup rightback playing centrehalf), Draper (our holding midfielder playing centrehalf, see above) and Stelios (our backup leftback playing rightback).
Falkirk had several really good opportunities throughout the match, obviously getting a goal from one, they were a real attacking threat for most of the game.

At the time i thought it was mainly down to shape and attitude, especially first half. Changed shape and switched on more second half.
But we also had 5 of our first 11 missing, including captain and vice-captain (if you count Draper as missing from midfield).
Not rocket science for the opposition to put up a back 5 and sit in, then gallop through the midfield which is missing its holding midfielder, and run straight at the franken-defence.
Maybe more to do with shape and attitude... dunno, im rambling now tryin to make sense of why we were so poor.

tldr: we were not good enough in many ways; Falkirk had our number and put in a great shift; we really need some of these injuries to clear up for the Caley game.

Strange that you’re blaming injuries. Thought you lot would have strength in depth considering your financial backing?

56 minutes ago, JinkyBairn said:

Strange that you’re blaming injuries. Thought you lot would have strength in depth considering your financial backing?

They're moaning about 5 players missing when we've been missing a first 11 all season so far. Just shows you how much they're paying the first 11. No excuse if they don't win the league this season given their financial clout.

Well. I thouroughly enjoyed that lastnight. Given our tone before the game we all got something we didnt expect and I was genuinely disappointed in the emd with the draw.

Anyone see how close Haber was to scoring late on?

Have to mention Aero too. Have gave him mega scud recently but the way he battled on when hurt was tremendous. I hope we play like that again and I hope Aero makes it for Saturday.

Tommy Robson clearly had a point to prove lastnight and maybe a few others too. That attitude has to keep up and we will def not be left behind by Alloa.

I realise this is often a hallmark of a winning, dominant team, but there really is a lot of wankers in Countys team isnt there?

I mean its not even really a criticism, but McKay was a wee p***k all night, McManus is a p***k, Vigurs is a p***k. Even Brian Graham who I never had tabbed as a p***k before participated in what I thought was some really quite unsavoury treatment of Aero whilst he was lying fucked.

Anyone could see he was fucked. He done it 30 secs to a minute previously and was down to one leg.

That was utter balls.

Really need to shoehorn Marcus back in the team. Thought Stellious wasn’t very good tonight and really needs to be taken out. Cowie and Vigurs made Paton noticeable and not for his normal brainfartteries. Not good enough.
Nothing to get to worried about though. Possession quite good albeit against a not very good opposition with Keith and Sean our best in my opinion.

Well. I thouroughly enjoyed that lastnight. Given our tone before the game we all got something we didnt expect and I was genuinely disappointed in the emd with the draw.

Anyone see how close Haber was to scoring late on?

Have to mention Aero too. Have gave him mega scud recently but the way he battled on when hurt was tremendous. I hope we play like that again and I hope Aero makes it for Saturday.

Tommy Robson clearly had a point to prove lastnight and maybe a few others too. That attitude has to keep up and we will def not be left behind by Alloa.

Easy pleased. Outside effort and organisation it shows how far we have fallen shoving 9 men behind the ball. No criticism of McKinnon - needs must.

No coincidence the team improved with us having only Mitch recruit left in the side.

6 of the starting line up were with us last season and one of the others won this league with Partick.

One swallow doesn’t make a summer and we need to reproduce Saturday.

Easy pleased. Outside effort and organisation it shows how far we have fallen shoving 9 men behind the ball. No criticism of McKinnon - needs must.

No coincidence the team improved with us having only Mitch recruit left in the side.

6 of the starting line up were with us last season and one of the others won this league with Partick.

One swallow doesn’t make a summer and we need to reproduce Saturday.
f**k me.... We are where we are. Thats doenst mean you cant enjoy individual games on their merits.

From the second half against Queens to that lastnight was a massive improvement. I have no issue with a defensive countering system if it works. Just look back at the pre match talk, the odds, everything. We were supposed to get leathered.

I feel for you if you arent able to enjoy a single game this season because you havent been able to let go of the summer. I appreciate your knowledge of the inner workings of the board and I appreciate your commitment to getting them hounded. But still, if I turn up and watch 11 players finally looking like they have a point to prove and taking a point which could have been 3 against the league leaders, I have to say I enjoyed it. Just put it in isolation and remember that you support Falkirk the team, at least for 90 minutes and put the board stuff aside.

I think we should play all remaining games at night. 
I was genuinely fucking frozen in the second half. So if second halfs can just be half an hour that would be ok.

Just seen Rays interview. Prince and Aero both maybe for Saturday so not anything long term hopefully.

That's the first time this season that team have got me out of my seat for the right reasons. The roar from the crowd when Robson was released into space a few minutes from the end was tremendous. Enjoyed that.

That's the first time this season that team have got me out of my seat for the right reasons. The roar from the crowd when Robson was released into space a few minutes from the end was tremendous. Enjoyed that.
Yeah thats the livliest our crowd has been all season. Was that the one that Haber got on the end of? I really had no idea how close or not it was. Looked to me like a very good chance to win it.

Robson turning back to the SS after the goal celebrations to give it some more was class too. He was loving it.

Archived