Fright Night in West Lothian, Livingston v St Johnstone 31/10/18

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointing night tonight but fair play to St Johnstone, I expected this to be tough tonight, it’s no surprise that we’ve struggled against Motherwell and now St J, both teams play a similar style and are excellently organised and you done a job on us tonight, no arguments on the result. 

St J done exactly what we have been doing to teams this season, scored and defended brilliantly, we just couldn’t break them down and when we did the goalkeeper was there to make a great save first half. 

We were always going to get games like tonight, as frustrating as it was we can’t win them all, a bit of perspective the bottom 3 teams all lost so no ground gained on us. 

We move on to Saturday at Hamilton and look to get a wee reaction from the team. 

Btw unpopular opinion but imo Menga is mince. 

Thing is I’m not sure we do play a similar way to Livi it was just tonight we changed our shape to suit and were flexible. Same as Motherwell, it says a lot that we can alter the way we play to suit. Most teams have plan a and when that doesn’t work they struggle. Wright continually finds ways around this, even if sometimes it goes horribly wrong.

3 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

We need our hit, someone tell us we’re shite fs. 

St Johnstone were lucky tonight. By far the worst team I have ever seen. Not just this season. Ever. Will be in a relegation battle with Dalbeattie Star in a few years IMHO. 

6 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I like the supporters or Livingston football club. 

Don’t @ me. 

2 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

St Johnstone were lucky tonight. By far the worst team I have ever seen. Not just this season. Ever. Will be in a relegation battle with Dalbeattie Star in a few years IMHO. 

:wub: 

Disappointed with how we started the game but St Johnstone were set up in a way that made it very difficult for us to get into our normal game. Was really impressed with them going forward too, had the fear they'd score most times they went forward, whereas I just didn't see us scoring at all bar one or two chances at the end. Did Zander Clark have anything to do in the second half? Even in the first half I think he only had one save to make. We were crying out for more attacking options today, a Hardie or a Miller to come on and shake things up. 

Think it was roughly around this time last season we got dicked by Dunfermline after a good start, so if losing tonight sets us up for another 2nd place finish I'll take it and move on.

Maybe going against the grain somewhat but that could’ve quite easily have ended 0-0 tonight. Nothing vintage from either side but St Johnstone obviously done their homework and utterly stifled what little attacking threat we had from open play despite a bit more promise in the second half. They looked somewhat threatening on the counter but didn’t really look like ever turning us over, suppose it says a lot about how good they are that they can come here and grind out a win. Fair play, and only 1 point off the top 6 after an indifferent start.

Our lack of attacking options are frightening though and although we picked up a bit in the second half going 4-5-1 we still didn’t create any chances. Would like to see Hamilton get some minutes on Saturday, need to try something different because we can’t rely on set pieces each game as demonstrated tonight.

Ach, don’t think we deserved to win that one. 

The Sainty Js caused a couple of problems at the start. Those balls going into Watt’s feet were sticking and they were knocking it about not bad. That was a nicely worked free kick if it was meant to drop it into the feet of the guy just out side the box. 

We were better in the second half and got in behind a few times but we couldn’t get anyone on the end of the crosses. Shackled Watt a bit better and Kelly didn’t have a save to make that second half but neither did their ‘keeper; a truely turgid affair. 

Overall, guess we can’t be too down about it just disappointed it was a sloppy performance that has seen us come undone.

Think we can change the team now - Holt said we cant change a winning team, now change it then. 

Robbo out, Sibbald in. Get Hamilton in instead of Dolly - we can't play without a recognised striker in the team

19 minutes ago, crispy said:

That was a nicely worked free kick if it was meant to drop it into the feet of the guy just out side the box. 

TBF it seems possible to just pump the ball in Watts general direction and he'll somehow manage to bring it down. Its frightening the difference in ability between him and Kane.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

TBF it seems possible to just pump the ball in Watts general direction and he'll somehow manage to bring it down. Its frightening the difference in ability between him and Kane.

Haha, was impressed with Watt. I couldn’t remember much about him other than seeing him score *that goal* 5/6/7 years ago? 

That touch sounds a bit like big Lee Miller in the air. He’s great at bringing others into the game, though probably won’t have the legs, and worked well with Hardie (who has lots of legs!) but unfortunately we just can’t get either onto the pitch.

I really don't understand the singling out of Dolly Menga. He wasn't great tonight but no worse than anyone else. To suggest that Hamilton should be starting ahead of him is madness based on what we've seen of him so far. He is a prospect but he has looked well off the the pace every time I've seen him. Sibbald might be worth a pop in the next game. He looked decent when he came on.

We are so light on options up front. Anyone have any idea what is up with Hardie?

7 minutes ago, hoobahabba said:

I really don't understand the singling out of Dolly Menga. He wasn't great tonight but no worse than anyone else. To suggest that Hamilton should be starting ahead of him is madness based on what we've seen of him so far. He is a prospect but he has looked well off the the pace every time I've seen him. Sibbald might be worth a pop in the next game. He looked decent when he came on.

We are so light on options up front. Anyone have any idea what is up with Hardie?

Hardie had an op two weeks ago

Great 3 points. Livi are strong, solid and well organised and actually pass the ball between the defenders well. They seemed to fancy the long diagonal ball to expose our wing backs in the air quite a bit, but to be fair Tanser and Foster stood up to the challenge.  Livi really lack a cutting edge up front though, probably the key difference between the teams.

A lot of Tony Watt's play was exceptional tonight. Taking difficult balls down out the air and going on a mazy run, or from a standing start faced up by a couple of defenders slipping by them.  Great bouncebackability after Saturday.

Our centre backs were commanding in the air.

Typical Spoony performance; take a great touch then give the ball away etc. He's a wide midfielder and we're still trying to shoehorn him into the middle.  Worked his socks off as ever though, and never hid from responsibility. And Livi are quick to pressure the ball and force mistakes.

Really good number of Saints supporters through for a Wednesday night.

Possibly drifting into Livi thread territory here but... 

I think we’ve done remarkably well when you consider we’ve lost, arguably based on last season, the first-choice front two. We must be careful not to get too down about this. I’m sure the players are annoyed enough at themselves as I don’t think anyone was particularly solid tonight. Bobby Burns looked good when he came on and Kaja was alright, too. Hopefully we’ll lift it for Hamilton game!

Archived