Fright Night in West Lothian, Livingston v St Johnstone 31/10/18

Livingston v St Johnstone

Almondvale, Wednesday 31st October 2018

A game of such significance and demand they've had to make it all-ticket

Can Livi continue their outstanding start to the season, with only one defeat so far away to the champions on opening day.

Eight days ago I would have been delighted with 2 wins and a draw from Well, St Mirren and Livingston, but now feel a bit greedy and would love all three points to bring us closer to top six and pull further away from the teams at the bottom.

I wouldn't be surprised if we match Livingston with 3 at the back as we did at Motherwell. Gordon coming in for Spoony, with a midfield three of Davidson, Craig and Wright pushing on. Wouldn't be surprised to see McMillan back in to give a bit more height, with Kennedy dropping out.   Might be harsh after both he and Spoony scored today.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Livingston Juggernaut brought to an abrupt end by St Johnstone, as all juggernauts are.

We won't underestimate them, and will respect them, the two fatal flaws to Livingstons lack of ability.

1-0 Saints.

Usual 7.45 I'm sure. You'll need to get to mcdiarmid during office hours to get a ticket though. Utterly mental.

Still, having missed today, I'm planning to go.

Did Kennedy play as a second striker today? If so, think Wotherspoon and Wright offer enough protection to the full backs to continue a similar shape whether Kennedy or McMillan play off Watt. Swanson available yet or this the last one?

4 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Usual 7.45 I'm sure. You'll need to get to mcdiarmid during office hours to get a ticket though. Utterly mental.

Still, having missed today, I'm planning to go.

Did Kennedy play as a second striker today? If so, think Wotherspoon and Wright offer enough protection to the full backs to continue a similar shape whether Kennedy or McMillan play off Watt. Swanson available yet or this the last one?

Kennedy was central, yes. Wotherspoon left.

Swansons suspension will be over so he'll be back in the squad.

Think you can get tickets at the ground, ala Ross County.

Just now, ali_91 said:

I’ve started the last two match threads and we’ve got six points. If we lose this i’ll get Tam to do you in @PauloPerth.

I think saints are suited more to Livingston’s style of football than a lot of others in the league, so hopefully we stand up to the battle and try and show a bit of extra quality in the final third. 

I'm on crutches so Paulo has an outside chance.

I’ll be happy if we manage to pinch a point here given the run Livi have been on so far this season. 15 points from the first round of fixtures would be a decent return. 

I’d go 3-4-1-2 to try and match up with Livi at set pieces. This has all the makings of a stodgefest but hopefully the quality players we have in attacking areas can give us an edge. 

37 minutes ago, Costanza said:

No tickets available on the night. Absolute madness.

http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/post/tickets-sale-livingston-away

I've read a few of their match threads and it's always been a complete farce, but tickets have been made available on the day.

I'd definitely recommend people get that confimed by the club/SLO before making plans around it, though. 

Worth pointing out that Livi advise away supporters to buy a ticket before the day of the game, to avoid queues at the ground. Not sure where St J have got their information from but there's been tickets available to away fans pre-match adjacent to the stadium reception.

Up to you if you want to queue on the night, given two people are serving at most, so make of it what you will.

12 minutes ago, Afro said:

Worth pointing out that Livi advise away supporters to buy a ticket before the day of the game, to avoid queues at the ground. Not sure where St J have got their information from but there's been tickets available to away fans pre-match adjacent to the stadium reception.

Up to you if you want to queue on the night, given two people are serving at most, so make of it what you will.

I live in Glasgow and work means I’ll not be able to commit to going until the night. Are the queues usually a bit radge? 

30 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Lots of the same comments as our other match threads so far, hopefully brings a similar result.

Won't be many goals in this, imo. 0-0 or 1-0 either way.

Tbf to us, we've never taken any team lightly under Tommy Wright, probably due to us being diddies punching above our weight. 

We'll set up to stop Livingston and try and grab a goal on the break or with a set piece. Craig and Davidson in the middle just destroying opposition attacks.

43 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I live in Glasgow and work means I’ll not be able to commit to going until the night. Are the queues usually a bit radge? 

Depends how early you get through to be honest with you - both the home and away tickets are from the same booth, which led to a half hour wait for my mate and myself at the last home game. I imagine with it being a midweek game it'd be significantly less, hopefully.

Looks like St Johnstone fans are thinking they have some quality players and we don't, hopefully their manager has bought into that nonsense too.

Pre season looking at this i'd have been happy with a draw, but the position we've got ourselves in a win here would put a good bit of distance between us and keep us away from a 6th place scrap with Aberdeen and St Johnstone.

3 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Looks like St Johnstone fans are thinking they have some quality players and we don't, hopefully their manager has bought into that nonsense too.

Pre season looking at this i'd have been happy with a draw, but the position we've got ourselves in a win here would put a good bit of distance between us and keep us away from a 6th place scrap with Aberdeen and St Johnstone.

Not sure if you’re taking exception to my post, but I wasn’t meaning any disrespect towards Livi or your players. It’ll be us who try to make the game a shitfest in the middle of the park - we’ll sit in, soak up pressure and hope that the likes of Wright, Kennedy and Watt can make something happen at the other end on the break. It’s pretty much how we play away from home under Wright (successfully much of the time). 

Livi seem similar to what we have been for most of the last 10 years in the top flight. A team who thrive on collective endeavour, being well organised and who spread their goals around the team. I can’t claim to know too much about your players individually but you were a joy to watch against Thistle in the play offs because you reminded me so much of the better Saints teams I’ve seen over the last few years. Dogged, tough, hard to beat with a bit of quality sprinkled in. We’ve moved away from that model slightly over the last year and we’ve been much less effective for it. 

9 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Not sure if you’re taking exception to my post, but I wasn’t meaning any disrespect towards Livi or your players. It’ll be us who try to make the game a shitfest in the middle of the park - we’ll sit in, soak up pressure and hope that the likes of Wright, Kennedy and Watt can make something happen at the other end on the break. It’s pretty much how we play away from home under Wright (successfully much of the time). 

Livi seem similar to what we have been for most of the last 10 years in the top flight. A team who thrive on collective endeavour, being well organised and who spread their goals around the team. I can’t claim to know too much about your players individually but you were a joy to watch against Thistle in the play offs because you reminded me so much of the better Saints teams I’ve seen over the last few years. Dogged, tough, hard to beat with a bit of quality sprinkled in. We’ve moved away from that model slightly over the last year and we’ve been much less effective for it. 

Just the general vibe I got from all the above posts.

No idea how this game will go, but we've only conceded 2 goals in our last 8 league games so if St Johnstone are going to sit in then it'll prob be pretty tight, with us relying on a set piece again. Menga has been drawing a lot of fouls around the opposition's box too which has helped.

12 minutes ago, Kyle said:

We’ve moved away from that model slightly over the last year and we’ve been much less effective for it. 

It's a change that needed to happen Kyle, no matter the outcome. If we are to win this game we'll need to be far more clinical than today that's for sure. Watts miss from 4 yards was Iwelumo-esk, an absolute shocker. Throw in the two 5 yard headers and two missed penalties and it's a really bad day of finishing. Surprised we still won 2-0 tbh. At least another few days will help McMillan, Gordon and Scougall. 

Archived