Queens v Morton

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Harkins left because Queens offered him a deal very soon after last season ended. We didn't have a managerIn place to decide if he wanted to keep Harkins so he took the offer t.hat was on the table. Can't really blame him, or us, for that.

Murdoch is different, McKinnon decided not to offer him a deal and apparently the player was pretty gutted. Think we all feel he should've been kept, his energy alone made him an asset, but McKinnon maybe wanted to prioritise other areas; can't remember if we'd signed Midge and McAlister by then. If not it's another  grudge to hold against  McKinnon. Certainly we're missing Murdoch now.

3 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Harkins left because Queens offered him a deal very soon after last season ended. We didn't have a managerIn place to decide if he wanted to keep Harkins so he took the offer t.hat was on the table. Can't really blame him, or us, for that.

Yeah that's how i recall it. Most players had offers on the table from Duffy but as soon as he was bagged, those offers were withdrawn  until a new manager was appointed (apart from the under 21 players which was fecking pointless in the end as we let them go scot-free anyway) so Harkins decided not to wait to see who the new man would be and took queens offer which he was more than entitled to do.

The only thing I was  slightly disappointed with from a purely personal point of view is that he didn't wait to see who we appointed as McKinnon might have loved him and offered him a better deal, especially with Queens interest to use as leverage.  Well within his rights to take the solid offer on the table but just thought with us being his home town club, a fans favourite and  on the back of a good season he might have waited. However i noticed he recently talked about Duffy on twitter so perhaps he was pissed off with the board for sacking him and didn't want to stay!

On the game,  doubt you will find a confident Morton fan at the moment. We just haven't got going under JJ.  The football is generally poor,  we have a severe lack of options in the final third, we are not scoring enough and are poor at the back. Would be amazed if we won tonight and i think all of us would take a point with 2 home games coming up against 8th and 9th.

Dobbie is bound to score as can't see him going 4 games without scoring!

Erm yes - if only we could bring back the halcyon days of Murdoch and Harkins in the same midfield when we, err, finished one place lower in the table than we are right now. And that was with Lamie etc. contributing to a much better defensive unit than we have at the moment. 

Griping about our central midfield options at the moment is like criticising the selection of caviar on the Titanic

As for the game this evening, it's increasingly difficult to predict what sort of Morton side will turn up. If they can dig in for a period then we could get a credible result like up in Inverness a few weeks ago - in that scenario there's no reason why we can't get a win. But if they concede an early goal and turn into a rabble again then it's largely a question of how many will follow by the end of the match. 

1-1

52 minutes ago, virginton said:

Erm yes - if only we could bring back the halcyon days of Murdoch and Harkins in the same midfield when we, err, finished one place lower in the table than we are right now. And that was with Lamie etc. contributing to a much better defensive unit than we have at the moment. 

Griping about our central midfield options at the moment is like criticising the selection of caviar on the Titanic

My my, vt  being contrary yet again -  who'd've thunk it?

Just to be clear here vt, are you saying that Andy Murdoch would definitely not have been a worthwhile asset to have in this squad and that McKinnon was right in not offering him a deal?

Winning three on the trot in this league is a big ask at the best of times (even when team is firing on all cylinders). The fact that we have won two back to back when not at our best gives us a platform to really stamp our play off credentials with a win tonight.

The reality of course is that this league throws up all manner of unpredictable results just when you start to believe that you can see a way forward.

I am very wary of Morton tonight especially when you add in their record at Palmerston but hoping for the best.

36 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

My my, vt  being contrary yet again -  who'd've thunk it?

Just to be clear here vt, are you saying that Andy Murdoch would definitely not have been a worthwhile asset to have in this squad and that McKinnon was right in not offering him a deal?

I think you'll find it's called fact-based analysis. You should try it sometime instead of throwing shit at the walls.

While Murdoch had a fairly quiet campaign, I would have been content with him resigning immediately at the end of the season. But then we invested a lot on new central midfielders and therefore needed to use our resources to cover much greater priorities elsewhere in the squad. That is the perfectly straightforward logic that people either can't or don't want to grasp here: you can't afford to have the likes of Millar, Telfer, McAlister and Murdoch without badly neglecting another part of the first team, which is arguably unbalanced in favour of central midfielders as it is. 

Murdoch was a little unfortunate in the timing of that but if he wanted a guaranteed deal then he should have done more to stop the team from slumping to a 7th place finish in the first place. Our central midfield did a worse job last season which makes it utterly bizarre to see people pining after them now. 

Squad is so tight but JJ has rung the changes...Derek Gaston, Jack Iredale, Reghan Tumilty, Reece Lyon, and Bob McHugh replacing Ryan Scully, Rory McKeown, Charlie Telfer, Chris Millar, and Ross MacLean.

Had to be done..

That can only be a 3-5-2 with Tumilty and Iredale at wing back, unless he's sticking at least two players wildly out of position.

5/1 for QoS -2 is a nice insurance policy when the tombola is being deployed to this extent.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

I think you'll find it's called fact-based analysis. You should try it sometime instead of throwing shit at the walls.

While Murdoch had a fairly quiet campaign, I would have been content with him resigning immediately at the end of the season. But then we invested a lot on new central midfielders and therefore needed to use our resources to cover much greater priorities elsewhere in the squad. That is the perfectly straightforward logic that people either can't or don't want to grasp here: you can't afford to have the likes of Millar, Telfer, McAlister and Murdoch without badly neglecting another part of the first team, which is arguably unbalanced in favour of central midfielders as it is. 

Murdoch was a little unfortunate in the timing of that but if he wanted a guaranteed deal then he should have done more to stop the team from slumping to a 7th place finish in the first place. Our central midfield did a worse job last season which makes it utterly bizarre to see people pining after them now. 

While this is entirely true, it's also apparent already that McAlister is an absolutely massive downgrade on Murdoch. Retaining Tidser and signing Millar over the other options were no-brainers, but McAlister over Murdoch hasn't paid off.

Archived