Could there be another Falklands war?

ICTJohnboy

6 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Are you seriously suggesting that the Falklands are full of distractions?

I suspect every Argentinian rowboat that strays into the area  will immediately have everyone on red alert - if only to relieve the boredom. 

I meant Whitehall ignoring warning signs, not those in The Falklands, who would presumably relay any concerns to London.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s an interesting principle but you are suggesting that there should not be exceptions.  I’m pretty sure exceptions have been made before.

The Falklands is a legacy of an imperialist past that is not easily defensible when looking from today’s perspective.

Maybe a long-term handover with  islanders getting the right to return to the U.K. would be a sensible way ahead.

I don't see why the Argentinians have any more right to be there than the Falkland Islanders, just because the Spanish Empire doddled about there for a bit. It's 250 miles from the closest bit of the Argentinian mainland, hardly like the Isle of Man. Anyway the French were the first to claim it.

40 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Whilst the vast majority of the population of the UK may not give the slightest of fucks about The Falklands, the islanders who inhabit the place opinion's are very different. 

They're British and proud of it. They'll never tire of telling you that either :lol: 

Like Northern Ireland?

38 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t see how we have any legitimate claim over a rock thousands of miles away.  Supporters of our imperial past may disagree.

Apparently, we snatched them from Spain at the same time that Argentina declared independence from Spain and thus they were never part of Argentina in the first place.

Being pedantic, does the USA have a legitimate claim to Hawaii?

At the other end, the Canary Islands are closer to Morocco than they are to the rest of Spain.
Several Greek Islands are very close to Turkey and Corfu is very close to Albania.

10 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Not really. As much a base of foreign invaders deposing indigenous people for their own financial gain as anything the European powers ever managed and, to this day, Hawaii 'in culture is forcefully repressed.  

Within a month of the illegal coup against the Hawai'ian monarchy the Hawai'ian language was made illegal and remained that way til the 50s. Whereas cross-Polynesian cultural exchanges and the like are supported by the governments of Pacific nations (and by the French/British governments regarding their own overseas territories) almost any attempt to do the same for Hawai'i is generally blocked at state or federal level. Same goes for Guam and the Northern Mariana islands to a lesser degree as they have more autonomy.

50 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Apparently, we snatched them from Spain at the same time that Argentina declared independence from Spain and thus they were never part of Argentina in the first place.

At the other end, the Canary Islands are closer to Morocco than they are to the rest of Spain.
Several Greek Islands are very close to Turkey and Corfu is very close to Albania.

I suppose things are relative.

Having done a wee Google search I see that the Falkland Islands are 8.5 times further away from the U.K. than from Argentina.  

The Falklands are probably closer to dozens of more countries than they are to Britain.

Not sure how that compares to your Canary or Greek examples.

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Having done a wee Google search I see that the Falkland Islands are 8.5 times further away from the U.K. than from Argentina.  

The Falklands are probably closer to dozens of more countries than they are to Britain.

Well, should Morocco have a claim to the Canary Islands because they are closer to Morocco than Spain.

Could we invade the Faroe Islands because we are closer than Denmark is?

A lot of countries would have a lot of problems if proximity was the deciding factor. 

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

So should we give back Shetland to Denmark?

5 minutes ago, steve55 said:

So should we give back Shetland to Denmark?

It wouldn’t bother me too much but I reckon the proximity of Shetland in relation to Denmark as opposed to Scotland is not really comparable to the proximity of of the Falklands to Argentina compared to the U.K.

When we achieve Independence I trust we will not try to lay claim to any portion of these relics of our imperialist past.

Archived