Irn bru cup

AlanCamelonfan

I saw today gus macpherson says this competition is about politics rather than clubs. This made me think what to do with this and I thought 42 spfl clubs obviouslycolt teams for premiership clubs and have highland and lowland league clubs in it and bring new spark to the competition. 72 clubs would be in it 

Ii was the introduction of Colt teams that started the demise of this competition  They pushed through Doncaster mainly for the benefit for a few select premier league teams that snap up young players from all the other clubs with very limited chance to play first team football for them. It has now got to the stage clubs from other countries can not fulfil the set fixture dates, if it was a Scottish team they would be in big trouble.

The English teams being introduced shat all over the highland and Lowland clubs that worked hard to qualify over the season. To make space for boreham and Sutton they mate 3/4th in highland and Lowland playoff in a preliminary round. I’d rather see more Scottish teams introduced than teams from England in the competition given they don’t give a toss about us up here. At least the welsh teams bring some sort of television coverage.

Just get rid of the colt teams, they bring nothing to the competition. No problem with the "foreign" teams in principle as I quite like seeing different teams, although it has to be organised better to prevent a farce like the planning of Bohemians v East Fife.

If the colt teams get kicked out, they can be replaced by more HL/LL teams, possibly the top 9 of each league.

The Challenge Cup is an SPFL trophy, and until about 8 years ago no Highland League or Lowland League were allowed to compete. Then for another few years it was only the champions of each of those leagues. It was only with the expansion to include the Colts and the non-Scottish clubs that all of those extra places were made available for Highland and Lowland League clubs.

It was the cup for SFL members so it had 30 teams, then in 2011-12 they added a couple of licensed non-league teams bringing it to a nice round 32 so no one got a bye. It could easily go back to that if they wanted to save a round of fixtures. Or add in more non-league teams, but then you need to work out the format to get down to 32/16 teams.

It's basically a farce now. What's the point in all this pyramid shíte when they then bring clubs from other countries.

It should be a national cup that clubs outwith the Premiership should be capable of winning, and be proud of winning.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

Just get rid of the colt teams, they bring nothing to the competition. No problem with the "foreign" teams in principle as I quite like seeing different teams, although it has to be organised better to prevent a farce like the planning of Bohemians v East Fife.

If the colt teams get kicked out, they can be replaced by more HL/LL teams, possibly the top 9 of each league.

Agree with that,  no interest in watching the Colt teams,  teams from other countries do bring a bit of interest rather than the same old grounds and teams.

Bringing in Highland and Lowland teams would bring interest as  new grounds to visit so that's a viable option.

I don't really see  what all the "political" issue is as quoted in the article.

25 minutes ago, derbydan said:

Agree with that,  no interest in watching the Colt teams,  teams from other countries do bring a bit of interest rather than the same old grounds and teams.

Bringing in Highland and Lowland teams would bring interest as  new grounds to visit so that's a viable option.

I don't really see  what all the "political" issue is as quoted in the article.

When the Colt teams were being pushed there was a train of thought at the time which I must admit I agreed with that the reason was to allow Colt teams (mainly Celtic but also others to enter the league system) which would obviously  have made the pyramid a carry on. The other theory was that if the Old Firm ever managed to gain entry to another league they would still have a Colt team involved in Scotland which again I cannot agree with as it should be one club one league place. This was why all the tinkering started. As mentioned the fact that the folk trying to gain for their own ends are the same setting the agenda makes any of them walking unlikely 

7 hours ago, Ginaro said:

It was the cup for SFL members so it had 30 teams, then in 2011-12 they added a couple of licensed non-league teams bringing it to a nice round 32 so no one got a bye. It could easily go back to that if they wanted to save a round of fixtures. Or add in more non-league teams, but then you need to work out the format to get down to 32/16 teams.

As someone has said here before, you could get 30 from the SPFL, 18 from the Highland League and 16 from the Lowland League for a nice round 64. If they still want some furren teams then however many they add, they could knock off the places from the bottom of the HL/LL. Might not be the best to have some of the teams from the bottom of the HL involved anyway, it's frightening to think what someone like Ross County could do to Fort William. 

Archived