Booze back at matches?

Old Scrotum

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plenty of grounds are right next to pubs, so I'm not sure why it makes any difference for them to drink there then go to the game, or go to the game then drink. The latter at least gives the clubs an additional much-needed revenue stream.

I'd be in favour of the English approach - before the game and at half-time only. Anyone who can't go 45 minutes without a drink has a serious problem. 

It should also be evaluated on a game-by-game basis rather than a blanket yes or no across the board.

4 minutes ago, The Master said:

Plenty of grounds are right next to pubs, so I'm not sure why it makes any difference for them to drink there then go to the game, or go to the game then drink. The latter at least gives the clubs an additional much-needed revenue stream.

I'd be in favour of the English approach - before the game and at half-time only. Anyone who can't go 45 minutes without a drink has a serious problem. 

It should also be evaluated on a game-by-game basis rather than a blanket yes or no across the board.

Why? 

They shouldn't sell food at grounds. Anyone who can't go 45 minutes without a pie has a serious problem.

A definite concern would be where they would sell it at many grounds. Take Ayr for example. They couldn't sell beer from the chip van on the terrace. However they could get in the stalls like they have outside German grounds. Would depend on the cost.

Anyway, this will never happen as it will be blocked by various hysterical fandans.

25 minutes ago, The Master said:

This. Wherever I go to football in Scotland, I see people staying in pubs until just before KO and then all turn up at the turnstiles to get in and watch the game. People will still drink regardless, whether it's in a local pub or at the ground. When I go to games in England I often see people arrive earlier (compared to Scotland) and then have a beer at the ground.

Not that I often do that myself when I go to games in England as I generally find the beer at grounds pish & overpriced, but that's another discussion...

30 minutes ago, The Master said:

This. I also understand it’s good to relax and have a pint before going to a game, but is it really necessary? I’m not saying don’t do it, but some people act as if they can’t enjoy a football match without having at least one (or ten...) pints beforehand.

34 minutes ago, The Master said:

I'm okay, I can go 46 minutes without a drink but at that point I need one or I'll die.

2 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

This. I also understand it’s good to relax and have a pint before going to a game, but is it really necessary? I’m not saying don’t do it, but some people act as if they can’t enjoy a football match without having at least one (or ten...) pints beforehand.

Is attending the football at all necessary? No. People enjoy it. People enjoy beer. Why can't we just be adults here and enjoy both at the same time rather than basing our legislation on a riot that happened 40 years ago?

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm okay, I can go 46 minutes without a drink but at that point I need one or I'll die.

Is attending the football at all necessary? No. People enjoy it. People enjoy beer. Why can't we just be adults here and enjoy both at the same time rather than basing our legislation on a riot that happened 40 years ago?

Sadly I suspect that a riot that happened two years ago will be the basis for preventing drink at Scottish football grounds for this generation anyway.

2 minutes ago, Toby said:

Sadly I suspect that a riot that happened two years ago will be the basis for preventing drink at Scottish football grounds for this generation anyway.

Drinking at games was illegal when that happened. The law is doesn't prevent folk getting tanked up, it just means folk cram as much booze into their system as they can before entering the ground and stewards aren't brave enough to start refusing entry for being drunk. So why bother?  The folk who cause trouble will get tanked up and cause trouble in any case, I don't think the rest of us should be at a disadvantage because of that. Sick of legislating for a minority of arseholes.

That polis saying they're struggling to control football crowds as it is, then citing "trashed toilets and pyrotechnics".  I'd love to see the stats on trashed toilets and pyrotechnics and the reasons why Police Scotland are unable to handle it.  Sounds like complete bullshit to me.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Drinking at games was illegal when that happened. The law is doesn't prevent folk getting tanked up, it just means folk cram as much booze into their system as they can before entering the ground and stewards aren't brave enough to start refusing entry for being drunk. So why bother?  The folk who cause trouble will get tanked up and cause trouble in any case, I don't think the rest of us should be at a disadvantage because of that. Sick of legislating for a minority of arseholes.

That polis saying they're struggling to control football crowds as it is, then citing "trashed toilets and pyrotechnics".  I'd love to see the stats on trashed toilets and pyrotechnics and the reasons why Police Scotland are unable to handle it.  Sounds like complete bullshit to me.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but we've had a high profile example of tanked up fans going at each other in recent years that will be the first thing that's brought up by those opposing the re-introduction of drink at the football.

Whether you or I think we should be disadvantaged or not isn't really the issue. It won't be re-introduced and the most compelling argument it's opponents have is that one game which shows more than a small minority acting irresponsibly when under the influence.

I hope you're able to bring this post up in a couple of years time and say you told me so, but I doubt you will.

A lot of clubs already have a bar/social club next to or within their ground (Falkirk have one underneath the South Stand for example) which can be used before KO. Making alcohol available in the concourse is hardly a huge step. The system you get in English stadiums seems like a reasonable compromise, but I doubt this will debated on rational arguments.

6 minutes ago, ftk said:

How does it work in England with smaller teams that don't have concourses?

I haven't attended anything below Championship in England, so couldn't say for sure. Few lads I know from my time in London used to watch non-league and could buy cans from the food kiosk to drink at the side of the pitch. No idea what it's like at the smaller L1 and L2 clubs.

People are trying to make out you're a raging alky if you want a beer at a game and can't go 45 minutes without one. Nonsense.  Ever been to a theatre? Plays, comedians, some gigs it's the same options...pre-performance bars, drinks allowed in the auditorium during most, bars open for intermission drinks, beers/g&t,wine back in with you for the second part. It's in the British culture to have a drink at events. Football might have more roasters attending than Shakespeare but there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to have the option for a drink if the clubs and police got their act together and did their jobs properly.

Archived