Glastonbury

southstand_bairn

Depends on how much sleeping you intend to do.

I camped but did not spend too much time there. Couple of hours kip; place to get changed. That’s was it. It was 1992 though and although still massive not like it is now.

Couple of tips:

Leave plenty of time to get to another stage (or stay at the same one). I missed half of Screamadelica era Primal Scream.

You will lose all your mates at various stages in the day.

You will get lost and not have a fucking clue how to get back to your tent.

Some drunken twat will try and kip in your tent as some point.

You will not sleep.

Don’t let any of that put you off. The only downside to Glastonbury is the time it takes to leave the site and the 9 hour drive back up the road.

But a coat. I did and there were 3 [emoji526] tabs in the pocket [emoji106].

Do and see as many different things as you can there.

You will meet and speak to so many people hat you will promise to keep in touch with. ....you won’t.

Enjoy, it’s an experience even forgiving for the fact it’s turned into a Pop festival on the main stages.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently it'll be Stormzy headlining the Friday night with Liam Gallagher sub headlining. Not sure they're the right way around tbh, but it seems that's what they're going with.

The Cure and Paul McCartney doing the other two nights by the looks of it.

Confirmed that Stormzy is headlining. I'm not fussed about his music one way or another, but this is a guy with only one album headlining the biggest festival in the world, which is a bit bizarre. As said above it's just a pop festival nowadays, bloody millenials etc etc

Having one album isn't a problem isn't a problem itself. Liam Gallagher would have been a decent headliner because he's now proven he can sell tens of thousands of tickets for big outdoor shows, so he's got the size to do it. Stormzy's last tour seen him in academies, albeit selling them out. He's a complete unknown at even arena level which is almost unheard of at any major festival. I think The Strokes headlined Reading and Leeds with one album and no big tours in 2002 but I can't think of anyone else.

Liam Gallagher would be a shan yet predictable enough headliner for a TRNSMT-sized festival - a lucrative nedfest for the day for someone whose music has been terrible for years. It would be laughable to have him headline Glastonbury but Emily Eavis is certainly on impressive form. 

Two years between one of the most sought-after festival slots in the world and you end up choosing a 'grime' artist with just one album to headline. :lol: 

Having one album isn't a problem isn't a problem itself. Liam Gallagher would have been a decent headliner because he's now proven he can sell tens of thousands of tickets for big outdoor shows, so he's got the size to do it. Stormzy's last tour seen him in academies, albeit selling them out. He's a complete unknown at even arena level which is almost unheard of at any major festival. I think The Strokes headlined Reading and Leeds with one album and no big tours in 2002 but I can't think of anyone else.

The Darkness elevated to arena’s and festivals pretty damn quickly off the back of one album around about the same time.

5 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

The Darkness elevated to arena’s and festivals pretty damn quickly off the back of one album around about the same time.

They headlined T in the Park because David Bowie pulled out, but they MIGHT have headlined Reading and Leeds in 2004 as well.

EDIT: Worth doing they did that off the back of a successful arena tour though, so there's a record of shifting a big amount of tickets there, which justifies giving them a big headline slot. As I said, Stormzy hasn't had that, and I don't think The Strokes did arenas until their second album.

• 2 months later...

Managed to sort offsite camping out. Some of the prices are outrageous but it’s paid now so just forgetting about it. Having showers, decent toilets and power in your wee room thing sold it.

Can’t say I’m delighted with the headline rumours but I have a good feeling there is more that enough going on not to left short. Heading down there and planning to arrive Wed and pretty much throw myself into the whole thing. Got an old programme from a mate and once you have been flicking for pages and it’s still the line up then you realise how big it is.

Camping at Glastonbury is a different kettle of fish from other big festivals. At least in my experience people are more respectful towards the folk camped around them and don't treat the camping ground like a bin/toilet. The festival grounds are enormous - getting in and out every day would be a lot more a faff than I'd be up for. Besides - some of the best moments at the festival happen in the small hours which you can enjoy in the knowledge that you're no more than a 10 minute stumble back to your tent. I would definitely camp onsite.

This will be my fifth Glastonbury although not been since 2013. We had a shot at getting tickets without a huge amount of emotional investment in going, but lucked out in the ticket scramble. Really looking forward to it now.

last time I looked the odds for headliners were:

The Cure: 1/3

Paul McCartney: 4/6

The Strokes: 6/4

Fleetwood Mac 3/1

Led Zeppelin: 10/3

I'd be pretty happy with any combination of that lot (particularly the Cure, Mac, and Led Zep), although the Strokes wouldn't excite me quite as much. Also hoping for Kraftwerk, who are touring at around the right time, to appear somewhere on the bill.

I think Paul McCartney was ruled out due to his US tour dates or something? Was a bit gutted with that to be honest.  Think I can see it being the Cure and Strokes finishing the headliners. The strokes are not a band I have much time for but tons of folk love them so I get it. Be plenty on the other stages at that time anyway. chemical brothers looking like headlining the other stage one night and they are always worth going to see.

As for camping.....its a very long story.

5 minutes ago, southstand_bairn said:

I think Paul McCartney was ruled out due to his US tour dates or something? Was a bit gutted with that to be honest.  Think I can see it being the Cure and Strokes finishing the headliners. The strokes are not a band I have much time for but tons of folk love them so I get it. Be plenty on the other stages at that time anyway. chemical brothers looking like headlining the other stage one night and they are always worth going to see.

As for camping.....its a very long story.

I'm not fussed about seeing Stormzy - if the Chemical Brothers headline the Other Stage (which sounds quite likely) then I hope it's the same night.

I could see it being the Cure and the Strokes for the other two headliners - one of our group is a huge Strokes fan so it's quite likely we'd end up at the Pyramid Stage if they did play.

8 hours ago, southstand_bairn said:

Managed to sort offsite camping out. Some of the prices are outrageous but it’s paid now so just forgetting about it. Having showers, decent toilets and power in your wee room thing sold it.

You get free showers if you are in the cycling camping area.

Can’t say I’m delighted with the headline rumours but I have a good feeling there is more that enough going on not to left short.

There are years I have not seen more than 3 act on the main two stages all weekend.

Get to the gym two or three times a week and get on a treadmill with a bit of incline, either that or do some regular hill walking. Its not necessary but being walking fit, especially for hills will mean you have more energy to get on with your thang.

• 3 weeks later...

Re camping I've done both camping in Glastonbury and offsite/worthy view. First year we went we got the bus from Glasgow with 2 rucksacks and a case of beer and survived. Guys next to us were really friendly and shared booze and smokes etc. As I get older however I favour worthy view. It's still Glastonbury of sorts but without the hassle of finding a spot. We can also arrive later missing out all the queuing. I'd say if you want the full Glastonbury experience however you have to camp in the site. All sorts going on.

Re who's playing not got a scooby. Stormzy isn't my bag so will be skipping that. Would be happy with the strokes somewhere but don't have them as a headliner.

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/02/2019 at 01:42, young_bairn said:

Re camping I've done both camping in Glastonbury and offsite/worthy view. First year we went we got the bus from Glasgow with 2 rucksacks and a case of beer and survived. Guys next to us were really friendly and shared booze and smokes etc. As I get older however I favour worthy view. It's still Glastonbury of sorts but without the hassle of finding a spot. We can also arrive later missing out all the queuing. I'd say if you want the full Glastonbury experience however you have to camp in the site. All sorts going on.

Re who's playing not got a scooby. Stormzy isn't my bag so will be skipping that. Would be happy with the strokes somewhere but don't have them as a headliner.

This is brutal mate.

D1rzgebXgAAXDIY.jpg

I'd get a lot of joy from that lineup tbh, but it is a bit weaker than previous years, but that only puts Glasto in the same bracket as almost every other festival this year. Seems to simply be a shit year for major festivals.

Worth noting that, given it's a late replacement, getting The Killers was a decent move. McCartney pulling out put them into a bit of a spot. The Killers are a very reliable festival band, so they've done well on that.

Archived