1st Quarter Report Card

Shamelessly stolen from the Championship forum, lets have your first quarter report cards. I'll kick things off:

Best Player at your club

Probably Ross Forbes, although Dom Thomas has looked excellent in his two appearances since arriving on loan. If Cammy Ballantyne can ever get fit he’ll overtake both though imo.

Worst Player at your club

Ross Perry, closely followed by Grant Adam. Perry was a bizarre signing at the time, Adam looks like an outfield player covering in goals after the real ‘keeper was sent-off.

Manager(s) at your club Rating

Stevie Aitken - F. He would’ve taken us down imo. Dire football, dire results, bizarre signing policy and a massive excuse book.

Who knows about Duffy, but on paper I’m delighted we got him in.

Best Signing of the summer at your club?

Cammy Ballantyne

Worst Signing at your club

Take your pick from Adam, Perry, the perma-crocked Andy Little or Rory Loy - who I actually rate, but who hasn’t performed anywhere near as well as we’d hoped...and is now injured.

Most Improved Player at your club

Calum Gallagher has improved exponentially since we started to play him in his natural position. Unfortunately those performances have been rewarded with a place on the bench. Hopefully Duffy will favour him a bit more, as he’s the sort of player who does well in this league.

Who's winning the League?

Raith Rovers

Who's making the playoffs?

Arbroath, East Fife (lol @ me tipping them for ninth pre-season) and ourselves. Viva la Duffy revolution. 

Who's finishing 9th?

Stenhousemuir

Who's going down?

Montrose

Best player in the league?

Lewis Vaughan

Highlight so far of the season…

Bobby Barr tearing some Morton kid to shreds in the diddy cup, and Beany’s celebration after scoring his first home goal since returning in the same game.

Lowlight...

There have been plenty, but I’ll go for the Raith Rovers game last month. 0-4 down at half-time, players stoating about lost, manager refusing to resign post-match. That was tough.

Shamelessly stolen from the Championship forum, lets have your first quarter report cards. I'll kick things off:

Best Player at your club

1. Bobby Linn

2. Ryan Wallace

3. Gavin Swankie

Don't really think there's anyone, out of players that have played a lot Omar Kader but he's been ok. Players who haven't played Finn Graham hasn't done much.

Dick Campbell - A. Just brilliant, love him and knew he'd be good from the start of his reign

Jason Thomson

Hard to pick and probably unfair on him but Finn Graham.

Swankie. Took so much stick to start with from some of the support but he's a class act and always has been, now he's had a pre season under his belt he runs the show in middle of park.

Dunno

Arbroath, Raith, East Fife, Forfar

Who's finishing 9th?

Stenhousemuir

Who's going down?

Montrose

Bobby Linn

Bobby Linn against Forfar.

Lowlight...

The 3 draws we've had have all been pretty sore ones. Late goals in 2 of them and a 2-0 lead chucked in the other

Best Player at your club

Probably Nisbet, he's taken us all by surprise.

I'd suspect Milne will be the scapegoat albeit having not played all that much. 

Smith: Meh. Probably should have had the chop after last season. Whether Smith would have had us challenging this season remains to be seen but I'd much prefer McGlynn at the helm.

McGlynn: Already some signs of improvement since he's came in. Tremendous first result in his first game in charge, a bit of an iffy performance against Arbroath and a battling display against Stranraer. The bonus with McGlynn is the fans are behind him in comparison to Smith where it seemed there was a notable divide.

Nisbet. His goal tally thus far is encouraging.

Not seen enough from Milne to suggest if he's the worst signing but would suspect he's the one that would get this tag.

McKay and/or Watson.  Two youngsters who seem more than capable of holding their own in the team when required. 

Hopefully us but Arbroath will take a bit of shifting. Wouldn't rule out EF being contenders as well if they keep up their good form.

On the basis we win the league then playoffs will be Arbroath, EF and Airdrie (in that order).

Who's finishing 9th?

Stenny.

Who's going down?

Montrose.

To be honest I don't know, there's not been many players for other teams that have really stood out. I'll be biased and say Gillespie. Don't think he should be playing League 1 football imo. 

The come back at Airdrie and McGlynn's first game back where we went full on 'no mercy' against Dumbarton.

Lowlight...

Defeats to Cowdenbeath and Cove in the cup (just shambolic overall). Also incredibly frustrating that we seem to have constant injury issues. It's a pity as I think at full strength we'd be pretty formidable.

Best Player at your club

All stats point towards Ross Forbes. Even with the small impact he's had he's still involved in just about everything we do.  Hopefully with Duffy now in place we'll start to see the best of him.

Ross Perry. I had hoped when we signed him that he would provide ample enough cover but he's just not good enough. Charges out of position for silly attempts at tackles which leaves him caught out of position. When he is in position he gets bullied all too often,; see Doris' header at the weekend.

F. It just didn't work for Aitken. He'd gotten himself into a rut with the way we play and found it difficult to inspire this squad. Duffy on the face of it seems an improvement but there are no guarantees.

Cammy Ballantyne looks a find, but watching Dom Thomas over the last two games he's shown that he could be the difference in this league. He reminds of Sam Stanton the way he runs with the ball, if he can get anywhere near the performances of Stanton for us then he'll take this accolade.

In terms of buzz around the signing for it to turn anti-climatic, Rory Loy. In terms of actual usefulness, Ross Perry.

Calum Gallagher. Be nice if he played some more games now.

Raith Rovers

Arbroath, Airdrie, East Fife.

Who's finishing 9th?

Stenhousemuir

Who's going down?

Montrose

Lewis Vaughan

Jim-Duffy-05-21.10.18-w.jpg&mode=gallery

Lowlight..

Home to Raith Rovers. It was men against boys and I left when the 3rd went in on 33 minutes. I spent the following 4 hours in the pub and the next day was a definite low point of this season.

Best Player at your club

I'd say it's a toss up between Ross Forbes and Dom Thomas (he has only played 2 games so hard to judge).  I had high hopes for Ballantyne but he's been permanently crocked since his arrival.

Take your pick from Grant Adam, Willie Dyer, Ross Perry or Andy Dowie, all 4 of them have been attrocious. Dowie had some decent games last season so I know he can be good but this season has been a disaster for him. Dyer, Adam and Perry should just retire and do something else on a Saturday. 

Stevie Aitken - F - clueless. I always had my doubts about signing good players for this level and deciding to compliment them with absolute shite. His tactical nous is non existant and the more time that passes since his exit the more delighted I am he's gone. It also puts an end to signing ex Rangers jobbers because they are sash bash pals with Durrant. I'm also quite happy that I wont need to read or hear his relentless excuses on a weekly basis

Jim Duffy - N/A - the guy that most of us wanted and for me he seems like exactly what we need right now. I'm confident he'll be far superior to Aitken but I fear too much damage has been done to salvage a playoff spot.

Ross Forbes

Willie Dyer or Ross Perry. 

No one. I would go with Gallagher but he hasn't played enough this season to make a proper judgement. 

Raith Rovers

Arbroath, East Fife, Airdrie.

Who's finishing 9th?

Montrose

Who's going down?

Stenny

Lewis Vaughan or Bobby Linn

Aitken being sacked.

Lowlight...

Pretty much all of it bar the Aitken sacking/Duffy appointment. In terms of games then Raith at home. Aitken should've gone straight after that. Potentially the worst Dumbarton performance I've ever witnessed, and I include the famous Bonnyrigg scandal in that.

Best Player at your club

On this amazing run we are hopefully only in the middle of, I would have to say that it has to easily be Darryl Meggat, I thought he looked pretty handy when he was played at LB at the start of the season but since he was moved to Central Defence, he has been simply outstanding, our current run has coincided with him being moving there and the guy has been a rock ever since. His organisation has been critical in our turnaround and he isn't just a brick shithouse, he's quite the baller as well. Had to have Stephen Dobbie surgically removed from his back pocket after our recent cup game!!!

I hate giving anybody this label but I would have to say Scott McBride, I honestly don't think he is good enough for this Team now!!!

Darren Young - a solid C for the League Cup games, downgraded to a D for the League but DY has applied himself and has made great progress, now easily an A+!!!

Brett Long, it could be any number, Meggat, Agnew, Big Tonks but I'm a firm believer in building your Team from the back and I honestly believe that Brett is simply the best keeper we have had in about 10 years, everything else is just following on and has fallen into place after his signing, needs to be locked in a room with a contract extension and not let out until he signs it!!!

Again Scott McBride, he was cheap and is experienced and is a mate of the manager, I can see no other reason for him being offered a contract!!!

Pat Slattery, I have been a critic of Pat's over the last couple of seasons but since he has been moved to LB he has shown a side to him that I have never seen before, I still think Scott Linton is the best LB at the Club but barring injury or suspension to Pat, he's not getting back in the side!!!

If not us, A.B.R.!!!

Assuming we're going to win the thing then Arbroath, Airdrionians and Raith!!!

Who's finishing 9th?

Stenhousemuir!!!

Who's going down?

Montrose!!!

The one and only "King Kev"[emoji767] - Kevin Smith!!!

Big Tonks' Hot-Shot Hamish impression against Falkirk in the League Cup!!!

Lowlight...

The Dumbarton game, that was when we feared we were a one-man team and collapsed to a very shite Dumbarton side when Kevin Smith went off injured after about 20 minutes, we looked like Barca in that opening period with King Kev[emoji767] instrumental in everything, it was like watching two different sides in East Fife colours in that first half, the change in the team was remarkable and also very worrying!!!

Best Player at your club

Reagan Hendry is a terrific prospect. Lewis Vaughan  is a standout player in the league above at his best. Kevin Nesbit has been in absolutely sensational form since the season started. A hard pick choosing from those 3 but I'll go for Vaughan. 

Liam Buchanan 

Smith, D. Should have been punted after last seasons shambles. We would have been lucky to even make the playoffs with him still in charge. 

Cuthbert, F. Hopelessly out of his depth and spat the dummy when Mcglynn came in. Good riddance. 

Super John Mcglynn. A+. The man to guide as back to the championship if ever there was one. Legend of a man. 

King Kev

Milne. Absolute shitehouse of a player so far. 

Dave Mckay 

The Rovers

Arbroath, East Fife and Airdrie

Who's finishing 9th?

Stenhousemuir

Who's going down?

Forfar

See question 1.

Super John Mcglynn's first game in charge. Absolutely outstanding team performance and a thumping win over the pre season favourites. 

Lowlight...

Cuthberts games in charge. We were a shambles during his three as manager. Luckily we didn't scrape a win in either of his league games or we would have him full time probably. 

Best Player at your club

In terms of technical ability its Lewis Vaughan, absolutely no question. In terms of how they've performed this season probably Gillespie before his injury, Nisbet and more recently Regan Hendry looks a cut above this division.

Buchanan looks finished. Can't get near the team and is probably now 4th choice striker. A real shame but he's just done it at us at all. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go in January.

Smith - D. The most dour, downtrodden gaffer we've had for many a year. Club was drenched in apathy for essentially the duration of his tenure. Getting SJM back in is exactly what we needed. 

Gillespie or Nisbet.

Lewis Mile, I'm afraid. Has a bit of quality but a pea heart and is seemingly constantly injured. League 2 player.

Regan Hendry looks like he's kicked up a notch from the end of last season.

Raith Rovers

Arbroath, Dumbarton, Airdrie

Who's finishing 9th?

Forfar, unless they get a new manager in. If they do, Stenny.

Who's going down?

Montrose

Vaughan or Linn. Linn probably wouldn't cut it in the league above, Vaughan would - if that means anything.

5-0 shagging of Dumbarton. Really disappointed to miss that.

Lowlight...

Being 5-0 down at Ross County at half time. Delighted I made the 9 hour round trip. Could probably extend this out to all three of Cuthbert's 3 games. Just didn't work for him, which was a shame for him cause he's a good guy.

King Kev

Copyrighted!!!
There's only one "King Kev" and that's Smith and has been for a few seasons now!!!
Your Johnny-come-lately just doesn't cut it man!!!

25 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

5-0 shagging of Dumbarton. Really disappointed to miss that.

I don't really know why I'm correcting this as it matters not a jot in just how badly we were shagged that day, but we did manage a consolation goal.

Best Player at your club
Vaughan on paper, albeit based on current form Nisbet

Milne at the moment. Came in as a number ten, and he's been injured, inconsistent and then played out of position. We've got a far superior number ten in Vaughan, so we can't really complain.

Smith - D : Dull, uninspiring and much the same as last season. We didn't seem to have any impetus at all, and after bottling the league last season the fans weren't too aggrieved to see him go. Long ball football completely negated any advantage of being full time.

McGlynn - B : Bodied Dumbarton to the point some of their fans said they'd not be back until Aitken left. Got a respectable draw at home to Arbroath where we could've easily lost. Won against Stranraer deservedly with ten men with an inspirational defensive performance from his team. The fans love him, and he'll get every last bit of commitment and effort from his team.

Probably Hendry. Nisbet has been a revelation with his goals, but it's not unheard of for strikers to come down to this level and start scoring for fun.

Hendry has changed the dynamic of our midfield though. Calm on the ball, and has already created a few goals himself. He's been given a free role compared to under Smith, and looks far more comfortable next to Nat Wedderburn than John Herron.

Milne again. See above.

Hendry. Looks completely different under McGlynn.

Raith Rovers. I'm confident the signings of Crane and Hendry will add balance to our line up. Wouldn't surprise me if we see a fair bit of movement in the January window with at least one wage being freed up by Wright or Silva leaving.

Arbroath, Airdrie and Dumbarton

Who's finishing 9th?
Stenhousemuir

Who's going down?
Montrose

Vaughan

Going from 3-1 down with five minutes left (and ten men) to win 4-3 at Airdrie. An utterly awful first half performance, which was completely undone with ten minutes of madness.

McGlynn's return at Dumbarton where for 45 minutes we morphed into the b*****d child of Pep's Barca and 1970 Brazil deserves a mention.

Lowlight...
Drawing at home to East Fife and Montrose playing long ball football was grim. With all due respect, we scraped draws in games we should be looking to dominate. King Kebab's use of exclamation marks.

Best player at your club

Bobby Linn or Gavin swankie, both been outstanding this season

Omar Kader or Finn Graham, kader not been effective in any games he’s played and graham when he’s played has been awful

Campbell- A+, turned the club around in the last few years, been outstanding

Best signing of the summer at your club?

Thompson or jamieson-

Thompson has been solid and great addition to the team in a position where we often struggled last season defensively
Jamieson again another solid signing in a position where we really struggled last season having Hutton in goals who was a bomb scare, jamieson commands is box much better and I personally feel a lot more comfortable with him in goals and hope Saturdays mistake was just a blip

Worst signing at your club

Has to be Finn Graham, not had a lot of game time and not been impressive when playing

Bobby linn- don’t think he had the best of seasons last season but this season he looks like a different player and looks fitter and stronger and that half a yard quicker, looks like the early pre season he did has payed off so far

Who’s winning the League?

Hate to say it but I think Raith will win the league, just think being full time will get them over the line in the end and think we’ll drop points at home to teams we shouldn’t, think we’ll take them all the way tho

Who’s making the playoffs?

Arbroath, Dumbarton, East Fife

Who’s Finishing 9th?

Stenny

Who’s going down?

Montrose

Bobby linn

Highlight so far this season.....

Pumping the Mo first game of the season and putting them in there place

Lowlight...

Throwing away a 2 goal lead to Brechin especially the performance in the second half

Best player at your club:

Harry Paton is obviously Stenhousemuir's best player and, dare I say it, one of the best midfielders in the division. He hasn't quite caught fire since returning to the club on loan from Ross County but when he's at his best, he glides past opposition players like he's wearing ice skates. Paton will up to speed soon and I reckon we'll turn these narrow misses and hard-luck stories into something tangible.

Worst player at your club:

I don't want to stick this tag on anyone, they're all a much of a muchness, but I haven't been too impressed by Alan Reid since he joined from Albion Rovers. For someone who's played at this level in the past with some success, he looks a little off the pace and doesn't seem to attack (or defend, for that matter) like a modern full-back should.

Manager's rating:

I'm a big fan of Brown Ferguson and I'm pleased he's the manager of Stenhousemuir. He's endlessly fascinating to listen to talk about football and he has the club's best interests at heart. He can, however, frustrate me on occasion; I'm not sure he knows what his best XI is and he seems to wait a long time before making a change. The number of times we've played poorly in the first 45 minutes is a concern too. Bomber gets a C- from me, Clive.

Best signing of the summer:

I'd nominate for Harry Paton for this category, as bringing him in is a massive coup, but Morgyn Neill deserves a mention - a big, no-nonsense stopper who can body the opposition and take names. He does look a little unsteady when forwards run at him, mind.

Worst signing:

"Worst" is a little harsh here but Alan Reid, again, hasn't really impressed me and I've been a little disappointed in Jesus Garcia Tena. He was a fine defender at Livingston and Hamilton Academical but I can't imagine he would have expected to find himself at a club like Stenhousemuir at this stage of his career. I always feel a little nervous when he's forced to defend.

Most improved player:

Ruaridh Donaldson continues to improve on a week-by-week basis. After a tricky start at Stenhousemuir, he began to look and he's taken the step up to League 1 in his stride. An accomplished left-back-cum-left-sided centre-back, I reckon he'll move up a level again come the end of the season.

Who's winning the league?

I'd like to think Arbroath can sustain their good form at the top of the table but I reckon it'll probably be Raith Rovers. I was on an episode of The Terrace Podcast alongside Danny Denholm recently and he said that, amongst full-time football's obvious advantages, the Rovers will have an edge going into and over the winter that should see them climb to the top of the table. I don't think it'll be all that pretty but, having been served thin gruel for the last two years, their fans won't mind.

Who's making the play-offs?

Arbroath will probably finish in second; East Fife have surprised me and I reckon they've shown enough about them to finish in the top four; Ian Murray can reinvigorate Airdrieonians and will complete the set.

Who's finishing in ninth?

Stenhousemuir. The squad that won promotion to the division was an above-average League 2 side and we've done as well as can be expected so far. We have a smattering of quality, namely Harry Paton, that gives us a little edge above some other teams.

Who's going down?

Montrose. I wasn't particularly impressed with them when we met a couple of weeks ago. Their defence, impregnable last season, looks rickety and they don't have the awkward out ball in Chris Templeman anymore.

I've only been to five games so I might not be in the best place to comment but I thought Forfar Athletic's Dylan Easton was excellent when the they took on Stenny at the weekend, for the first half anyway. He's full of tricks and our defence look petrified whenever he got on the ball. I don't know why Jim Weir doesn't assemble his team around Easton and just let him do what he wants.

Highlight so far of the season:

The 3-2 win over Montrose a couple of weeks ago was brilliant fun. Stenny looked as though they chucked the win away when Andy Steeves netted an 89th-minute equaliser but big Mark McGuigan popped up at the death to secure a sensational win. What a goddamn feeling!

Lowlight:

The opening 30 minutes in last weekend's defeat to Forfar. Dylan Easton and John Beard cut through us time and again but we certainly didn't help ourselves by leaving our backline exposed and they deserved their two goals. Stenny might have got back into the match, somehow, but we were miles away.

Best player at your club:
Harry Paton is obviously Stenhousemuir's best player and, dare I say it, one of the best midfielders in the division. He hasn't quite caught fire since returning to the club on loan from Ross County but when he's at his best, he glides past opposition players like he's wearing ice skates. Paton will up to speed soon and I reckon we'll turn these narrow misses and hard-luck stories into something tangible.
Worst player at your club:
I don't want to stick this tag on anyone, they're all a much of a muchness, but I haven't been too impressed by Alan Reid since he joined from Albion Rovers. For someone who's played at this level in the past with some success, he looks a little off the pace and doesn't seem to attack (or defend, for that matter) like a modern full-back should.
Manager's rating:
I'm a big fan of Brown Ferguson and I'm pleased he's the manager of Stenhousemuir. He's endlessly fascinating to listen to talk about football and he has the club's best interests at heart. He can, however, frustrate me on occasion; I'm not sure he knows what his best XI is and he seems to wait a long time before making a change. The number of times we've played poorly in the first 45 minutes is a concern too. Bomber gets a C- from me, Clive.
Best signing of the summer:
I'd nominate for Harry Paton for this category, as bringing him in is a massive coup, but Morgyn Neill deserves a mention - a big, no-nonsense stopper who can body the opposition and take names. He does look a little unsteady when forwards run at him, mind.
Worst signing:
"Worst" is a little harsh here but Alan Reid, again, hasn't really impressed me and I've been a little disappointed in Jesus Garcia Tena. He was a fine defender at Livingston and Hamilton Academical but I can't imagine he would have expected to find himself at a club like Stenhousemuir at this stage of his career. I always feel a little nervous when he's forced to defend.
Most improved player:
Ruaridh Donaldson continues to improve on a week-by-week basis. After a tricky start at Stenhousemuir, he began to look and he's taken the step up to League 1 in his stride. An accomplished left-back-cum-left-sided centre-back, I reckon he'll move up a level again come the end of the season.
Who's winning the league?
I'd like to think Arbroath can sustain their good form at the top of the table but I reckon it'll probably be Raith Rovers. I was on an episode of The Terrace Podcast alongside Danny Denholm recently and he said that, amongst full-time football's obvious advantages, the Rovers will have an edge going into and over the winter that should see them climb to the top of the table. I don't think it'll be all that pretty but, having been served thin gruel for the last two years, their fans won't mind.
Who's making the play-offs?
Arbroath will probably finish in second; East Fife have surprised me and I reckon they've shown enough about them to finish in the top four; Ian Murray can reinvigorate Airdrieonians and will complete the set.
Who's finishing in ninth?
Stenhousemuir. The squad that won promotion to the division was an above-average League 2 side and we've done as well as can be expected so far. We have a smattering of quality, namely Harry Paton, that gives us a little edge above some other teams.
Who's going down?
Montrose. I wasn't particularly impressed with them when we met a couple of weeks ago. Their defence, impregnable last season, looks rickety and they don't have the awkward out ball in Chris Templeman anymore.
I've only been to five games so I might not be in the best place to comment but I thought Forfar Athletic's Dylan Easton was excellent when the they took on Stenny at the weekend, for the first half anyway. He's full of tricks and our defence look petrified whenever he got on the ball. I don't know why Jim Weir doesn't assemble his team around Easton and just let him do what he wants.
Highlight so far of the season:
The 3-2 win over Montrose a couple of weeks ago was brilliant fun. Stenny looked as though they chucked the win away when Andy Steeves netted an 89th-minute equaliser but big Mark McGuigan popped up at the death to secure a sensational win. What a goddamn feeling!
Lowlight:
The opening 30 minutes in last weekend's defeat to Forfar. Dylan Easton and John Beard cut through us time and again but we certainly didn't help ourselves by leaving our backline exposed and they deserved their two goals. Stenny might have got back into the match, somehow, but we were miles away.

Heard Denholm say that too.

Looking at last season, from the start of November to the end of February, our record was;

Played - 14
Won - 7
Drew - 4
Lost - 3

2 of they games against Ayr, 2 games against Raith and a game against Alloa, 5 of the 14 games against the top 3 sides in the league, that's not too bad.

I'm not confident at all, even if we had Messi and Ronaldo upfront id still be skeptical. Love this group of players though so hope we can keep it up, anything above 4th would be an improvement but we've made a terrific start so see what happens.

Best Player at your club
Vaughan will be the majority pick, and quite rightly so, however I just think Gillespie is a class above anyone we have.

Lewis Milne until he starts hitting the gym.

Barry Smith - Should’ve been gone in May.
Kevin Cuthbert - Too soon for him. And tried to change to much too quick.
Super John McGlynn - So far so good.

Kevin Nisbet (for the goals) or Grant Gillespie.

Keeping Barry Smith on in the summer.

Dave McKay, plays the game like an experienced centre half, only 18/19yr old.

Raith Rovers 🤞🏻

Arbroath, East Fife & Airdrie

Who's finishing 9th?
Stenhousemuir

Who's going down?
Montrose

Best player in the League?
On form just now... probably Wallace for Arbroath.
As in a predicted overall fully fit ideal world, Grant Gillespie.

Return of the Mac - John McGlynn.
Hammering Dumbarton 5-1, and the Airdrie come back.

Lowlight...
Scraping a draw at home to East Fife, vile!

Archived