Alloa v Caley Thistle

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Bold statement but this is the best Alloa team even more so than the Paul Hartley edition.

Nah. The Hartley team was top four in the second tier at Christmas and it was a considerably stronger league. And we held Aberdeen 0-0 at Pittodrie too. Then look at what that group of players did under Barry Smith. But the current crop are doing really well and deserved their point today. Again, I don't think we got any particular benefit from the park and with a bigger surface we might well have won. But over the piece we deserved the draw and it's another good point. 

Mixed feelings on the game, firstly we were excellent, but disappointed not to have taken all three points, which over the ninety minutes we should have.

It was only in the last fifteen minutes or so that ICT caused us problems. Up until then we had created several opportunities, which with a bit more composure should have resulted in a couple of goals. Dario was a bit unlucky with the one that hit the crossbar, but should have bagged himself one before that.

All three areas of the team functioned well today. Defence was solid, composed and competitive with big Andy Graham a leader as usual.

Robbo and Flanny are a class pairing in centre midfield; both doing the necessary graft, but also always looking to keep the ball or get forward and create things.

Front four were dangerous, with Zanatta in particular causing problems for the Inverness defence.

Inverness were solid enough, but seemed to carry little threat in attack. Of course that could be down to how well we played yet again.

Nah. The Hartley team was top four in the second tier at Christmas and it was a considerably stronger league.

Yeah, I agree the Hartley team at its peak would edge it over the current one, however the current squad may be stronger. In particular we have more attacking options now.

I do think Jim G's team have the potential to go on and achieve something special this year, i.e. stay up and out of the playoffs. We haven't been outplayed very often so far this season.

Two points dropped. Alloa by far a better footballing team . Inverness probably looked to play us off the set plays with their height advantage but not a match in terms of the midfield battle.  Flannigan and Robertson bossed the game . Flannigan a terrific central midfielder at this level. 

Impressed with Inverness at the back and jamie mccart is a class act and the goals against for the season has probably elevated a pretty ordinary outfit to where they are. Surprised how poor Inverness were and it's another afternoon where the narrow pitch never suited us. 

Alloa are certainly not getting embarrassed by these championship teams .All to play for. 

19 minutes ago, printer said:

Yeah, I agree the Hartley team at its peak would edge it over the current one, however the current squad may be stronger. In particular we have more attacking options now.

I do think Jim G's team have the potential to go on and achieve something special this year, i.e. stay up and out of the playoffs. We haven't been outplayed very often so far this season.

Thats what I'm going on. That team went on to finish 8th. The peak was high with Paul Hartley but then the lows led him to quit but going on an average over the season I'm feeling bullish this team will end up in a better place come May than that year's crop achieved.

53 minutes ago, printer said:

Mixed feelings on the game, firstly we were excellent, but disappointed not to have taken all three points, which over the ninety minutes we should have.

It was only in the last fifteen minutes or so that ICT caused us problems. Up until then we had created several opportunities, which with a bit more composure should have resulted in a couple of goals. Dario was a bit unlucky with the one that hit the crossbar, but should have bagged himself one before that.

All three areas of the team functioned well today. Defence was solid, composed and competitive with big Andy Graham a leader as usual.

Robbo and Flanny are a class pairing in centre midfield; both doing the necessary graft, but also always looking to keep the ball or get forward and create things.

Front four were dangerous, with Zanatta in particular causing problems for the Inverness defence.

Inverness were solid enough, but seemed to carry little threat in attack. Of course that could be down to how well we played yet again.

Can't really argue with any of that, unfortunately. Almost everyone on the first quarter report thread has us finishing in one of the playoff spots, but I can't see it unless we start creating far more clear-cut chances, and have a more mobile striker, with a better first touch than White, on the end of them. You could argue that we weren't helped by Alloa having the narrowest pitch I've ever come across, but tbh we set up without any real width and it was the same last week at Tannadice, where we were pretty lucky to come away with a point. McCart and Ridgers were our best players today, and that says it all.   

1 hour ago, printer said:

Inverness were solid enough, but seemed to carry little threat in attack.

That's exactly what we are. We got our wins in this round against sides that were too open, but everyone knows now that if they keep it tight they'll get a point at least.

Can't see this side making the play-offs. 

That was dire today. Narrow pitch or not players like Doran and Walsh failed to provide any meaningful chances for White who is unfairly getting pelters on CTO. He really doesn't have much to work with most of the time. He's the kind of striker that plays with his back to goal so coming up against a team like Alloa that sits very deep he isn't going to get a lot of opportunities to score. We never stretched the play, we never managed to attack with any kind of pace or incision that allowed us to get in behind the home defence. Posters on CTO bemoaning the lack of a goalscorer in our team but there's not much point having a goal scorer in the pitch if we, erm, don't create goal scoring chances. 

We were just meh all over the park. MacKay probably had the best chance for us when, in the second half, he gambled on a ball being played in and Parry rushed out smartly to smother the shot. Aside from that we were desperately poor.

Alloa suffered from the narrow pitch as much as ICT. Seriously, what is that all about?  When I’m at a game I tend to look for the 10-yard mark for taking corner kicks. The mark actually coincided with the edge of the box, which I’ve never seen even at non-League (Whitehill Welfare’s pitch is narrow but still works out at 66 yards). If my sums are right, the pitch was 64 yards wide as opposed to ICT’s which is 75, in line with most of the Premiership.

6 minutes ago, whereismillar said:

We defend well at times but considering we probably had the best chances and we break up the park well and  play to our strengths I think that is an unfair assessment .

Saying you sat very deep isn't an insult by any means, you can sit in deep when defending and still create good goal scoring opportunities. You did have some good chances, perhaps the best of the game in fact, however it doesn't detract from the fact that when we had the ball and started to get forward you had every man bar one behind the ball. There's nothing wrong with that of course. It's up to us to break you down and we couldn't do it. Alloa were smashing in a defensive sense, got men back quickly and totally stifled us and going forward you opened us up quite well and hit the bar a couple of times with some decent efforts. It was a very good performance indeed from you guys.

10 minutes ago, RiG said:

Saying you sat very deep isn't an insult by any means. You did have some good chances, perhaps the best of the game in fact, however it doesn't detract from the fact that when we had the ball and started to get forward you had every man bar one behind the ball. There's nothing wrong with that of course. It's up to us to break you down and we couldn't do it. Alloa were smashing in a defensive sense, got men back quickly and totally stifled us and going forward you opened us up quite well and hit the bar a couple of times with some decent efforts. It was a very good performance indeed from you guys.

Fair enough  , :)

I wonder(*) if we are going to hear the likes of 'Alloa sit very deep', 'Alloa are stuffy and well organised', 'a spirited Alloa side' (the latter as per the opening para from the BBC's match report on today's game) etc all season even as we continue to match teams in general play, quality of football and chances created?

(*) I don't really wonder if that will happen.

It clearly will. [emoji19]

ETA It's refreshing to hear John Robertson be so frank in his post match interview about our performance.

8 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

We were guff today but you've got to take a look at the replies on Twitter to the official account.  Some of our fans are spoilt morons.

The only thing more embarrassing than the state of the replies is The Jailender retweeting them all.

Archived