Get yer cheeseburgers ready - Clyde vs Peterhead

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TOPFITTER

Never does

Surprised I saw a Clyde team not as dreadful as their fans make out on here! Nothing in it 1st half Scotty Brown’s 25 yard screamer being the best bit. Second half Mick’s sending off seemed to galvanise the Blue Toon and they kicked on with a sense of injustice and when Lang got the red (does he have a brain ?) then Clyde heads went down and they were beat. 2 quality finishes from Del and a gift own goal sealed the deal.
It is always going to be tough for Clyde relying on D GW if he’s not doing it neither are they and they can be as brittle as Halloween toffee. Not as good as fans said earlier in the season and only beating Edinburgh City next game will leave them with any title aspirations.
I always find the atmosphere at Broadwood somewhat toxic and uninviting and if there is no sun it’s bloody freezing. As for security, condoning off visiting fans, sensible, but then having them have to mix with home fans to access services illogical and a potential problem! Worth it if you win and the locals turn on their own 🤣

I have just had a really interesting conversation with a Peterhead player at work this morning. 

His take on the game is really interesting, briefly:

They Targeted Lang as he said he is a CH and poor elsewhere. ( he was apparently on trial with Peterhead at one point, they didn’t sign him obviously)

They were delighted to see Nicoll starting at CM. As opposed to McStay. 

This player really finds Cogill difficult to play against and was glad he never started. 

Norwegian boy impressed they although  he tired says when fit will cause loads of problems if we can get him on the ball.

He also mentioned that when we play as we are at the moment they are delighted that DGW tends to have his back to goal. When we get wide he says  he is unplayable running either at them on the ball or with his movement off the ball. 

As I say interesting stuff from someone involved and not a huge surprise to us I suppose. He also said that it was the hardest they had to work all season came off the park knackered. Said it was a tough, tough match

I have just had a really interesting conversation with a Peterhead player at work this morning. 
They Targeted Lang as he said he is a CH and poor elsewhere. ( he was apparently on trial with Peterhead at one point, they didn’t sign him obviously)
This player really finds Cogill difficult to play against and was glad he never started. 
Norwegian boy impressed they although  he tired says when fit will cause loads of problems if we can get him on the ball.
He also mentioned that when we play as we are at the moment they are delighted that DGW tends to have his back to goal. When we get wide he says  he is unplayable running either at them on the ball or with his movement off the ball. 
As I say interesting stuff from someone involved and not a huge surprise to us I suppose. He also said that it was the hardest they had to work all season came off the park knackered. Said it was a tough, tough match

So they targeted Lang and exactly how many goals was he responsible for ?
Funny cause the last time Cogill played centre half and mcstay through the middle they thumped us 3 -0

Just for clarity Lang was offered a contract at peterhead and turned down

I think most Clyde supporters would agree with this Peterhead player.
I really don't understand why Lennon sees it differently.

It was pretty obvious that they were targeting Lang.

You could argue that it didn't cause any goals but he was sent off.

Peterhead forced Clyde to use Lang as Clyde's out ball. His passing isn't up to it.

I'd also ask what did he contribute from the full back position?

Don’t suppose by targeting him necessarily means he was responsible for any of the goals, just thought it was interesting that they seen that as part of their game plan.  I just thought it was interesting to get a take on how teams prepare for games. 

It was just a very interesting conversation that’s all I was saying.

Don’t suppose by targeting him necessarily means he was responsible for any of the goals, just thought it was interesting that they seen that as part of their game plan.  I just thought it was interesting to get a take on how teams prepare for games. 
It was just a very interesting conversation that’s all I was saying.
No probs but it's still a bit raw [emoji23]

Both Cuddihy and Duffie were injured so not a great deal of options for right back. Maybe could have shuffled Stewart to right back and played Grant at left back.

I would have Cogill in the team instead of Rumsby but am guessing there is something going on with Cogill considering he has barely featured this season.

Both Cuddihy and Duffie were injured so not a great deal of options for right back. Maybe could have shuffled Stewart to right back and played Grant at left back.

This is the point that seems to be getting overlooked by a lot of people. Ok, Lang isn’t a full back but with Duffie and Cuddihy injured he is about the best option available. He is an honest and hard working guy, doing his best when asked to play out of position by the manager.

Is that worse than being a better player who doesn’t work hard, or looks like they can’t be arsed half the time?

For me the performances of Mcstay in particular have been shocking recently given what he is capable of. He should be a stand out in this league but is far too peripheral. Apart from passing straight to a Peterhead player leading to Nicols booking his delivery from corners was bloody atrocious.

There are others who disappear too when the going gets tough and DGW doesn’t look the same player in recent weeks either. Given his quality our entire game plan must be shaped to play to his strengths.

5 hours ago, cfcuk said:

Funny cause the last time Cogill played centre half and mcstay through the middle they thumped us 3 -0

Just because he didn’t directly cause any goals doesn’t mean he wasn’t poor. He punted the ball out the park I don’t know how many times, and stupidly got sent off when we had a man up and were getting at them a bit. Those are a few examples during a poor performance overall. 

2 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

I would have Cogill in the team instead of Rumsby but am guessing there is something going on with Cogill considering he has barely featured this season.

Is Duffie definitely injured? I don't know either way, I just haven't seen/heard anything to say that he is.

This is the point that seems to be getting overlooked by a lot of people. Ok, Lang isn’t a full back but with Duffie and Cuddihy injured he is about the best option available. He is an honest and hard working guy, doing his best when asked to play out of position by the manager.

Is that worse than being a better player who doesn’t work hard, or looks like they can’t be arsed half the time?

For me the performances of Mcstay in particular have been shocking recently given what he is capable of. He should be a stand out in this league but is far too peripheral. Apart from passing straight to a Peterhead player leading to Nicols booking his delivery from corners was bloody atrocious.

There are others who disappear too when the going gets tough and DGW doesn’t look the same player in recent weeks either. Given his quality our entire game plan must be shaped to play to his strengths.

I'm afraid Lang is the scapegoat not a word about grant turning his back on the ball at the first goal making no attempt to close the ball down his pathetic attempt at a pass / clearance at the second goal

he isn't the worst but seems above reproach .mcniffs pathetic attempt at the third and of course as you mention mcstay corners ( that said didn't think he was that bad for the majority of the game) All the focus is on the right back position and not one goal came as a result of Lang playing there ( rank stupidity the sending off ) as said the usual suspects nicol , love , Lang and Rumbsy get the blame for most defeats even when they don't play

Lennon needs to work out his best 11 and stick with it ( barring injuries ) and then put players in as required The players need to take a look at themselves and start standing up the physical challenges of Div 2 it's a rough tough league if it's too hot get out the kitchen

On DGW yes he has went off form but one thing you can't fault him for is effort and gets battered about every week

I'm afraid Lang is the scapegoat

I don't think he's being made a scapegoat.
Some are saying that it's a mistake to play him a right back.

The fault lies with Danny Lennon, not Lang who does his best. I'd suggest he is being hung out to dry by our manager.

Cuddihy and Duffie may be injured but Lang played last week at Cowdenbeath with Cuddihy. That was the manager's decision who seems to want to shoehorn Lang into the team.

I agree with you about Grant's performance, as others do but you seem to think it's only Lang that getting criticised.

I've stated in this thread that Lang, Grant, Goodwillie and McStay were poor.

It's certainly not a witch-hunt against Lang who I'd quite like to see tried at centre half.

Is Duffie definitely injured? I don't know either way, I just haven't seen/heard anything to say that he is.
Yeah, I don't have any reason to doubt the person that told me. He's been injured since the start of the season.

Lang, Cogill, Grant and Rankin wouldn't describe themselves as full backs but for various reasons have found themselves playing there.  Cuddihy probably wouldn't either but is the exception where fortunately he's fitted in well there

We've conceded really soft goals recently. Yes you defend from the front, all have responsibilities, but it's still weak at the back.  Said the other week I'd like to see him try a central 3 of Lang, McNiff and Cogill, Cuddihy and Stewart on either flank with whatever mix of 3 in the middle and 2 up front

Not surprised to hear the Peterhead player's comments and links to the 3-0 game mentioned. 2 sloppy goals and a dodgy pen aside, we played pretty well but didn't use the width enough. On the few occasions we did, that's when we started to cause them problems and brought DGW into it more.  Nicoll also started that game, was off the pace, got booked and replaced at half time

With a standard back 4 I can understand the call for a Nicoll type in front. With 3 CB's, shouldn't be necessary

But we can all have our own ideas, it's down to management to get this sorted out, especially moving into November

On 28/10/2018 at 00:19, SLClyde said:

Tom Lang is not a right back. That much is certain. He hoofed the ball out for a throw about 4 times in the opening stages of the game. The red card summed his game up. 

We need to stop shoehorning him into the team. Cuddihy far more effective there when available. 

Tom Lang is not a footballer.

Archived