Get yer cheeseburgers ready - Clyde vs Peterhead

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He'd better keep it to less than 5 minutes of rambling this time.

I've always been a believer in having a plan A, and if it's not working you improve within that plan A. I thought Lennon was going to stick to his guns but what we've seen since half-time at Berwick has just been a mishmash of different panic moves. 17 different players have started the last three matches and they've been asked to do things differently ever time. And what is more, we've gone away from the type of play which pushed us up the table last season and made us a nightmare to play against; high pressing,  quick counters, taking risks on the ball at the back for great reward, dominating the width of the penalty area and creating offensive overloads to create one, two good chances per game for Goodwillie. 

We can't play that way with Rumsby, Nicoll, Lang and Love in the team. They all give the ball away under pressure (or in Rumsby's case, under no pressure). It may surprise some that I have no problem with Nicoll being picked, but it must be like last season when he was surrounded with 10 players who could move the ball forward, and press high. He put some terrific performances in, as all he had to do was win 50-50 scraps and play the ball five yards. The minute you put a Love in, who doesn't have the pace and doesn't press intelligently, you end up with the opposition getting the ball down in the middle of the park and then Nicoll's lack of mobility becomes a problem. The minute you put in Rumsby, you have two players who the opposition know won't play a pass through the lines and they can focus on those who can.

I can accept that there's drastic inconsistency which makes things difficult. McStay was diabolical in the first half today, and then was pushed inside (in another tactical shift) and ran the game for fifteen minutes up until Peterhead's red card (his ball through for Love's second criminal missed chance was phenomenal), then disappeared again as he was pushed to basically play as a right wing-back when Lang was sent off. McNiff strolled through the first quarter of the season but was knocked about the pitch last week by Cox and sold a goal today. After doing very little last season, Love looked like he'd provide us with some goals and then has offered nothing positive since the Annan game.  Cuddihy, and possibly Stewart, are the only players that can really say they've performed at a consistently high level this campaign, but maybe the others would blame the chopping and changing and the determination to play the likes of Rankin and Love who don't really fit the style we should be playing.

On stupid moments today;

1. McStay's awful pass was obviously to blame but there's no need for Nicoll to take out McAllister with a kick three quarters of the way up his shin. I don't even think it was that threatening a situation but even if you take into account the fact he has to make a quick decision, he should be doing it in a manner which reduces his chance of a booking. A couple of situations elsewhere in the game when players stopped counters with "clumsy" challenges which left them without a booking. As it turned out, when we needed Nicoll to commit a foul, he had to let Brown run straight through on goal, where he produced a magnificent finish.

2.  Just after half-time, when Love chose to take a second shot at goal when Nicoll was ready for a clear shot, from a better angle.

3. Lang's stupidity. I didn't think there was any doubt that it was a deserved second yellow. On a booking, pulling someone back who has just gone past you is idiotic.

4. That's when the manager takes over. He brought Lamont on for Nicoll but at the same time, shoved Grant into a back three, had Stewart, Lamont and McStay across the middle whilst still having three up front. Then changed it again when he brought Rankin on. Syvertsen was absolutely done in, to the extent we were basically down to 9 men. The last fifteen minutes was as disorganised a rabble as we've seen in some time.

5. Most stupid moment is Peterhead starting Dow on the bench. Best player on the pitch by a mile when he came on. Jamie Stevenson continues to be utter class and the three goals were stunning finishes; the difference between the teams really when contrasted with Love's weak efforts. I thought Dunlop's red card was justified. I'd be surprised if Edinburgh finished ahead of them.

Fair play to Syvertsen for a very encouraging debut. Some good footwork, and found pockets of space well against a well drilled side. Hopefully now that we're out of the title race the shackles will come off and we'll start playing the way we should be, as he'll fit right into that.

See the usual scapegoats being hung out to dry I do agree with your comments 're the chopping and changing and our style of play that however does not excuse players pulling out of tackles and running about waving there arms in a huff

However no mention of grants horrendous error at the second goal ( that because you were extolling his virtues at half time ? ) yes let's all blame ally love / .nicol / Lang and Rumbsy

Love didn't even come on at hampden was a sub at cowdenbeath Lang didn't play at hampden nicol didn't play at cowdenbeath unfortunately we have landed ourselves with a group of players who up until now have shown they are technically good but have no heart tell me the last time one of them required treatment on the pitch ( apart from goody and mcniff ) You can coach players all you like to improve there game but you will never in still courage or the will to win

Given a way back in to the match and we blew it. Not sure if Lang’s first was soft or not. But at 1-0 and on a booking to do that was stupid. That was it for me. We have a corner, play it short and 15 seconds later it’s 2-0. Lyle’s second was a sublime finish, but only after a half arsed tackle from McNiff.

Play-offs it is then. If we sneak back into the race then great.
Maybe Lennon and the club should have told us this when they were punting the flying start, 200 club and season tickets
Now they want more money via a Christmas raffle for what the nice pre match meals, luxury coach travel their pizzas after the game to pay for the petrol for Lennons fancy club car or maybe it's to give the manager more money to sign players to join the every growing list of signings sitting in in the stand or filling the bench every week

Maybe Lennon and the club should have told us this when they were punting the flying start, 200 club and season tickets
Now they want more money via a Christmas raffle for what the nice pre match meals, luxury coach travel their pizzas after the game to pay for the petrol for Lennons fancy club car or maybe it's to give the manager more money to sign players to join the every growing list of signings sitting in in the stand or filling the bench every week

Told us what? That at the moment it looks like the playoffs? There are still 26 league matches to go. A lot can happen. A lot needs to improve based on the last 3 games.

Fans are giving up on our season as much as some players have in recent matches.

Told us what? That at the moment it looks like the playoffs? There are still 26 league matches to go. A lot can happen. A lot needs to improve based on the last 3 games.

Fans are giving up on our season as much as some players have in recent matches.
Sorry didn't you post it's the play offs then or maybe I imagined that [emoji23]

Sorry didn't you post it's the play offs then or maybe I imagined that [emoji23]

No I did. I also said it would be great if we got back in to the race.

That is still the aim. Promotion via title is preferred. Promotion by playoffs would still do.

The title will be difficult. Very much so. Last season’s champions had a whopping 2 extra points to our tally at the same number of games. What makes it look a lot worse for us is there incredible runs Peterhead and Edinburgh are on. Those runs will come to an end and we need to be ready to take advantage.

but have no heart tell me the last time one of them required treatment on the pitch ( apart from goody and mcniff ) You can coach players all you like to improve there game but you will never in still courage or the will to win

Aye, nothing says playing for the shirt more than, er...going down and needing the physio to come on.

Aye, nothing says playing for the shirt more than, er...going down and needing the physio to come on.
You would need to put a tackle or challenge for the ball for that to happen [emoji23]
Our mob can't even be bothered taking an injury [emoji23]

34 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

You can coach players all you like to improve there game but you will never in still courage or the will to win

Well they seemed to have the courage and will to win to get us out a helluva mess last season

The only clear difference I can see between then and now is shifting from a 4-5-1.  True I felt the change was needed because we were predictable and ironically not capitalising on the chances being created, but it appeared at least to be a settled system with a regular starting XI the players all got used to

I thought all of these players had at least proven their worth for a contract this season, and still do. But there were specific areas we needed to strengthen with different types of players over the summer, and that's where I'm not so sure they were addressed

But what's certain is you cannot gel a team together with players understanding their roles which brings consistency and confidence if one week they're playing, the next dropped then the next back in again. That is bound to affect overall performance, and maybe short term he needs to revert to 4-5-1 just to stabilise things until he figures out exactly what system he prefers and his best starting 11 to deliver it

You would need to put a tackle or challenge for the ball for that to happen [emoji23]
Our mob can't even be bothered taking an injury [emoji23]
Pat Boyle needed the physio on after picking up an innocuous knock yesterday, I take it he's a courageous hero in your book?

Did Dunlop show passion for the Peterhead shirt when he made a ridiculous lunge on Goodwillie? And Goodwillie must not be playing for the Clyde shirt as he decided not to receive treatment after it?

Can't remember the Cowdenbeath physio coming on last week, I suppose you have all their players down as cowards too.

At Hampden I can only recall the QP physio coming on to attend to a player who had done his hamstring in, funnily enough he injured himself without putting a tackle in or challenging for the ball.

Pat Boyle needed the physio on after picking up an innocuous knock yesterday, I take it he's a courageous hero in your book?

Did Dunlop show passion for the Peterhead shirt when he made a ridiculous lunge on Goodwillie? And Goodwillie must not be playing for the Clyde shirt as he decided not to receive treatment after it?

Can't remember the Cowdenbeath physio coming on last week, I suppose you have all their players down as cowards too.

At Hampden I can only recall the QP physio coming on to attend to a player who had done his hamstring in, funnily enough he injured himself without putting a tackle in or challenging for the ball.
Just for clarity my Clyde heroes most recently were the team of 1999/2000 a group of players who woukd have ran through a brick wall for the club
Keogh, Mclay spittal mccusker McLaughlin list goes on
You mention DGW he always gives 100% gets battered about every week

If you think that we are up for a battle ever game because in this division that's what it is most weeks then fair enough

Let's see how it pans out till turn of the year hopefully we can turn it round

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

When was the last time Clyde players came off the Broadwood pitch covered in mud?

Heartless buggers' shirts are spotless.

How can you come of an artificial surface covered in mud when there's no mud on it. Your right what your saying they've got no intent to get dirty. They just want there money and then go home. 

First time I have seen Ryan Dow play and I thought he done really well, it was nice to see a forward picking up the ball and running at players and he seemed to link up with Lyle well. I thought the first half was a bit dull although we could have been 2 up when Rory was flagged offside just before the whistle. Second half was entertaining if nothing else although Clyde appeared to throw in the towel after our second goal, albeit after they scored I was a little nervous until the 3rd went in.  Ref was on another planet and I have no idea what his approach to that game was supposed to be. On the Dunlop red it did look like he went in with his studs showing although from where I was it didn't look like there was much contact, but I can see why it was given as a red although I will wait for the highlights before I make my mind up.

A big win though that opens a wee gap with those below and keeps pace with Edinburgh and it is all bottom half teams we play in November so hopefully we can keep it going.

Peterhead and Embra both miles ahead of us at this moment ..

We need a right few players to find old form (DGW. Mcstay. Boyle etc) cause the Top2 will at some point have a bad week or two and we need to be ready to pounce..

Just now im looking over my shoulder than looking at teams ahead..

Weve not suddenly became a bad team but we dont have the same energy and threat & needs to be fixed fast starting this sat!!

McStay needs to play through the middle, ineffective out on the right. Last season he was fantastic playing in his natural position. New boy needs to be out wide, getting the ball to feet and cutting in. John Rankin at left back again when he came on is absolutely crazy. Everyone playing out of position, crazy

Need Grant sitting, with Lamont starting and allowed to roam.  McStay a little bit higher just behind DGW up top with Boyle/Love and Syvertsen wide as a 4411 or a 433, whatever you want to call it. That’s our best option from a mile away. 

Archived