Get yer cheeseburgers ready - Clyde vs Peterhead

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, David W said:

Positives, Grant and the new boy who has oozed class.

Negatives, the rest. Half the team trying to pass the ball, the other half punting it. Get Nicoll and Love into the sea.

Grant is one of the weakest, pathetic players who has pulled on a Clyde jersey.  Lazy cowardly player , who has been try in midfield and left back,  failed miserably at both. 

McStay can't be played in games that you have to battle in, he's a man down. 

Best thing about Lang is he can't play next week.

There was not a big difference between the teams today  (apart from taking chances)  but Clyde let themselves be bullied all over the park.

Surely Danny must see we need to toughen up, or we'll just have to accept performances like that every week.

Deserved win for Peterhead three good finishes as for us repeat of last two games a team riddled with cowards scared to put in a tackle . The team has very little with a winning mentality

Grant and mcstay are good footballers but as soon as the going gets tough they ain't interested but I'm sure they will as usual get off Scot free.

Absolutely spot on. Too many good players when the going is good but disappear when its sleeves up time. Mcstay was dreadful today and it was his shocking error that led to Nicol getting booked to stop the counter.

No heart, no fight, bunch of fancy dan shitebags.

Grant is one of the weakest, pathetic players who has pulled on a Clyde jersey.  Lazy cowardly player , who has been try in midfield and left back,  failed miserably at both. 
McStay can't be played in games that you have to battle in, he's a man down. 

I stated on last season's thread that I wasn't that bothered if we managed to get McStay and Grant signed up for this season and that there must be better players out there. I was shot down by many on here.

McStay is slow and rarely makes runs into the box. He would rather turn away and look for a backwards or sideways pass. Sometimes even when he is under little pressure. The pass that lead to Nichol's booking was incredible.

I've never seen the Grant that people on here describe. That is the class player and excellent passer. I see an average player who, as a supposedly defensive midfielder, is weak in the tackle and like McStay never seems to burst a gut getting goal side when we lose the ball.

Throw these two in with "Rank Rotten" Rankin and "Yellow Card" Nicoll, you can see why we create little and often lose the midfield battle.

I cannot remember the last time a Clyde midfielder ran beyond the forwards. We must be so easy for defenders to play against. Slow build up and play in straight lines. And I'll not even mention the high punts and headers upfield.

Lang at full back is a joke. He may be an excellent centre half (I can't recall him playing there for Clyde) but his passing isn't good enough to play full back. Everyone and their dog can see that. Why can't Danny Lennon?

I'll probably get the experts telling me that I don't see X and Y and what Danny is trying to do. All I know is that the last three games were shite to watch.

Oh! The new boy Syvertsen impressed but tired later in the game. I think he'll need thicker shinguards to play in our division though.

The highlight of today apart from our goals was Nicols superb tackle on himself when nobody within 10 yards of  him but he still managed to fall over his own feet before half time it was comical. Be interesting to see highlights certainly looked a very harsh red for Dunlop at the time thought it might be a soft yellow but no more, be interesting to see. Todays ref is always poor anytime we have had him & cant the remember which game it was but one of those really nothing going all of a sudden Ross started throwing cards about ,lost control & both sets of players were suddenly at each others throats mainly down to being wound up by him. Anyway always a good 3pts to collect.

We were the far better team for the first 20 minutes, thought the new boy Kris looked the absolute business during this period, but felt that he was soon set upon by the Peterhead defence, and he lost a bit of confidence going for the first ball.

Peterhead worthy of their win, raging at Lang for two silly bookings within a minute. Didn’t see the first too well, was a stramash, but he deserved the second. Stupidity and you could see the seethe in DL’s face when he came off.

Three wonders from Peterhead, Derek Lyle still knows how to bang them in. We have some troubles at the back, really was pleased when I heard the team today too.

19 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I stated on last season's thread that I wasn't that bothered if we managed to get McStay and Grant signed up for this season and that there must be better players out there. I was shot down by many on here.

McStay is slow and rarely makes runs into the box. He would rather turn away and look for a backwards or sideways pass. Sometimes even when he is under little pressure. The pass that lead to Nichol's booking was incredible.

I've never seen the Grant that people on here describe. That is the class player and excellent passer. I see an average player who, as a supposedly defensive midfielder, is weak in the tackle and like McStay never seems to burst a gut getting goal side when we lose the ball.

Throw these two in with "Rank Rotten" Rankin and "Yellow Card" Nicoll, you can see why we create little and often lose the midfield battle.

I cannot remember the last time a Clyde midfielder ran beyond the forwards. We must be so easy for defenders to play against. Slow build up and play in straight lines. And I'll not even mention the high punts and headers upfield.

Lang at full back is a joke. He may be an excellent centre half (I can't recall him playing there for Clyde) but his passing isn't good enough to play full back. Everyone and their dog can see that. Why can't Danny Lennon?

I'll probably get the experts telling me that I don't see X and Y and what Danny is trying to do. All I know is that the last three games were shite to watch.

Oh! The new boy Syvertsen impressed but tired later in the game. I think he'll need thicker shinguards to play in our division though.

Which is fine except for one thing

How can it be that effectively the same young players arrived in January when the pressure was on facing a relegation dogfight, went on a strong run digging us out a massive hole to the point of nearly making the playoffs, and had us motoring along pretty well until the end of September....and now all of a sudden in the past few weeks the cracks are showing?

I thought in the summer for us to be "strong" title contenders then one, possibly two, positions in defence would need to be addressed. But that aside we have the same midfielders and more striker options now, yet the goals have dried up

Every time I've seen Peterhead they look a "team" , as if they've played together for years. Every player knows his role, they understand their teammates, they do the simple things well - it's effective

You don't get that consistency by radically changing the line up every week, and especially when you've so many young players involved. 

You don't get that consistency by radically changing the line up every week, and especially when you've so many young players involved. 

True but how many games in a row should players be allowed to play badly before they are dropped. Amazingly, I'd include Goodwillie in that too.

Danny's post game comments could be interesting...
Think so ? Will tell us poor decision making
Indivual errors let's just hope he doesn't tell us how well peterhead played and endlessly congratulate them [emoji35]

Just now, TheBigGuy said:

Danny's post game comments could be interesting...

He'd better keep it to less than 5 minutes of rambling this time.

I've always been a believer in having a plan A, and if it's not working you improve within that plan A. I thought Lennon was going to stick to his guns but what we've seen since half-time at Berwick has just been a mishmash of different panic moves. 17 different players have started the last three matches and they've been asked to do things differently ever time. And what is more, we've gone away from the type of play which pushed us up the table last season and made us a nightmare to play against; high pressing,  quick counters, taking risks on the ball at the back for great reward, dominating the width of the penalty area and creating offensive overloads to create one, two good chances per game for Goodwillie. 

We can't play that way with Rumsby, Nicoll, Lang and Love in the team. They all give the ball away under pressure (or in Rumsby's case, under no pressure). It may surprise some that I have no problem with Nicoll being picked, but it must be like last season when he was surrounded with 10 players who could move the ball forward, and press high. He put some terrific performances in, as all he had to do was win 50-50 scraps and play the ball five yards. The minute you put a Love in, who doesn't have the pace and doesn't press intelligently, you end up with the opposition getting the ball down in the middle of the park and then Nicoll's lack of mobility becomes a problem. The minute you put in Rumsby, you have two players who the opposition know won't play a pass through the lines and they can focus on those who can.

I can accept that there's drastic inconsistency which makes things difficult. McStay was diabolical in the first half today, and then was pushed inside (in another tactical shift) and ran the game for fifteen minutes up until Peterhead's red card (his ball through for Love's second criminal missed chance was phenomenal), then disappeared again as he was pushed to basically play as a right wing-back when Lang was sent off. McNiff strolled through the first quarter of the season but was knocked about the pitch last week by Cox and sold a goal today. After doing very little last season, Love looked like he'd provide us with some goals and then has offered nothing positive since the Annan game.  Cuddihy, and possibly Stewart, are the only players that can really say they've performed at a consistently high level this campaign, but maybe the others would blame the chopping and changing and the determination to play the likes of Rankin and Love who don't really fit the style we should be playing.

On stupid moments today;

1. McStay's awful pass was obviously to blame but there's no need for Nicoll to take out McAllister with a kick three quarters of the way up his shin. I don't even think it was that threatening a situation but even if you take into account the fact he has to make a quick decision, he should be doing it in a manner which reduces his chance of a booking. A couple of situations elsewhere in the game when players stopped counters with "clumsy" challenges which left them without a booking. As it turned out, when we needed Nicoll to commit a foul, he had to let Brown run straight through on goal, where he produced a magnificent finish.

2.  Just after half-time, when Love chose to take a second shot at goal when Nicoll was ready for a clear shot, from a better angle.

3. Lang's stupidity. I didn't think there was any doubt that it was a deserved second yellow. On a booking, pulling someone back who has just gone past you is idiotic.

4. That's when the manager takes over. He brought Lamont on for Nicoll but at the same time, shoved Grant into a back three, had Stewart, Lamont and McStay across the middle whilst still having three up front. Then changed it again when he brought Rankin on. Syvertsen was absolutely done in, to the extent we were basically down to 9 men. The last fifteen minutes was as disorganised a rabble as we've seen in some time.

5. Most stupid moment is Peterhead starting Dow on the bench. Best player on the pitch by a mile when he came on. Jamie Stevenson continues to be utter class and the three goals were stunning finishes; the difference between the teams really when contrasted with Love's weak efforts. I thought Dunlop's red card was justified. I'd be surprised if Edinburgh finished ahead of them.

Fair play to Syvertsen for a very encouraging debut. Some good footwork, and found pockets of space well against a well drilled side. Hopefully now that we're out of the title race the shackles will come off and we'll start playing the way we should be, as he'll fit right into that.

2 hours ago, peternapper said:

The highlight of today apart from our goals was Nicols superb tackle on himself when nobody within 10 yards of  him but he still managed to fall over his own feet before half time it was comical. Be interesting to see highlights certainly looked a very harsh red for Dunlop at the time thought it might be a soft yellow but no more, be interesting to see. Todays ref is always poor anytime we have had him & cant the remember which game it was but one of those really nothing going all of a sudden Ross started throwing cards about ,lost control & both sets of players were suddenly at each others throats mainly down to being wound up by him. Anyway always a good 3pts to collect.

From my view I thought it was a straight red. Looked to me like he flew in and totally missed the ball and took the man. Leg breaker sort of challenge. 

He didn’t complain much which says a lot. 

Tom Lang is not a right back. That much is certain. He hoofed the ball out for a throw about 4 times in the opening stages of the game. The red card summed his game up. 

We need to stop shoehorning him into the team. Cuddihy far more effective there when available. 

Archived