P&B Trained Killing Machines

banana

Poll  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Menzel said:

YcQT4OI.gif?noredirect

Excellent contribution, cheers. Let's analyse this in slow motion...

unfl2rk.gif

Interesting choice to go on the ear, obviously looking to disorient the target, and excellent space-creating push at the end to enable a swift getaway.

However, with such a good blindside advantage you've got to think that a forearm smash to the jaw would've been more effective, which allows quick followup into a rear-naked choke or a mount, depending on how the target falls. The punch itself would've been more effective if there was more follow through using the weight and momentum created in the run up.

I also wouldn't be against a simple followup side-kick to the knee to disable to target properly, allowing more options after this initial engagement.

5/10, decent overall.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I trained kickboxing for a bit but that was really about fitness.  I sparred with a few of the high level guys a few times and got a solid kicking.

I also trained Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for a few years, I really enjoyed that.  The club I trained at was excellent - basic room, facilities but the leader of the club was a brilliant teacher and the attitude that people had was great.   A big part of the training is the idea that you are always fighting someone else, rather than doing drills or air-sparring, and all levels trained together - on your first session you could end up rolling with guys who were champion grapplers or semi-pro fighters.  They didn't go easy on you but there's an understanding that you have to help people develop - there's no point throwing around some noob and choking them out in 10 seconds but also no point in going easy on them.

I didn't compete, I just liked to train a couple of times a week, but you could train there six days a week if you liked.  I had to give it up as I moved house and changed jobs so it wasn't feasible to make it along as often.  I'd recommend it to anyone though.

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I also trained Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for a few years, I really enjoyed that.  The club I trained at was excellent - basic room, facilities but the leader of the club was a brilliant teacher and the attitude that people had was great.   A big part of the training is the idea that you are always fighting someone else, rather than doing drills or air-sparring, and all levels trained together - on your first session you could end up rolling with guys who were champion grapplers or semi-pro fighters.  They didn't go easy on you but there's an understanding that you have to help people develop - there's no point throwing around some noob and choking them out in 10 seconds but also no point in going easy on them.

The word I often hear in relation to starting BJJ is 'humbling'.

Whether it's a regular guy walking in off the street, or someone with a solid martial arts / grappling background - you're getting tied up again and again and again by the guys with a belt of most any colour, and are not going to be able to do much to prevent it or get out of it. The strong focus on contact as you mention is really appealing too.

Folks journeys into BJJ are always interesting to hear, seems you need a certain mindset to keep at it while you're getting wrecked week after week. Really enjoyed Eddie Bravo story, summarised in this wee doc...

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I trained kickboxing for a bit but that was really about fitness.  I sparred with a few of the high level guys a few times and got a solid kicking.

I didn't compete, I just liked to train a couple of times a week, but you could train there six days a week if you liked.  I had to give it up as I moved house and changed jobs so it wasn't feasible to make it along as often.  I'd recommend it to anyone though.

Was that the place on Leven Street? Some sort of combat gym opposite The Kings Theatre but I've never been. 

Muay Thai for me. Love it. The very thought of that BJJ stuff fills me with dread though. I don't like confined spaces and having a grown man sit on my face while trying to break my arm is not appealing.

Same, though somewhat in my past now.

18 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Muay Thai for me. Love it. The very thought of that BJJ stuff fills me with dread though. I don't like confined spaces and having a grown man sit on my face while trying to break my arm is not appealing.

Watched the recent UFC fight between the Russian and the Irishman and that's exactly what it looked like. Bit like a boring school fight that gets broken up before anything happens.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Watched the recent UFC fight between the Russian and the Irishman and that's exactly what it looked like. Bit like a boring school fight that gets broken up before anything happens.

It wasn't a classic. None of the Russian's are.

6 hours ago, PWL said:

Mrs is a mental health nurse. All the de-escalation stuff is a waste she says. If it kicks off and she's in danger the only real method is a swift boot to pie or balls then run. 

I'm a master of de-escalation. Couldn't teach it, but the main thing is showing no fear and getting it done within 3 minutes and before your legs start shaking.

12 minutes ago, Falkirk Cyclist said:

I once got into a fist fight with my younger brother.   I tried my best but his punches were just too strong and I was hospitalised.   I got him back though when I locked him in the garage until he apologised and vowed never to do it again!    Sadly he didn't keep his word and I deleted him from FB.  

NSFW this shite, jesus.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Watch the aftermath - much more entertaining.

Go to 1:50 and watch some Irish mink spit on a Russian and get absolutely stiffened.

Archived