Penicuik Athletic

51 minutes ago, Winkles said:

Seemed to be a luck of useable subs last night.

Are Penicuik struggling for player numbers or fit players?

Bit worrying if they are as the business end of the season approaches.

A mixture of injuries and the new players that were signed cup tied unfortunately Still the better team on the night but good luck to The Spartans

17 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

A mixture of injuries and the new players that were signed cup tied unfortunately Still the better team on the night but good luck to The Spartans

Penicuik the better team last night. 

Sometimes it's just not meant to be. 

• 2 months later...
40 minutes ago, stingyjag said:

thought grinchy was more important than Forbes imo

Forbes was arguably the best right back in the super league the season before going to Berwick so time will tell but I think both will do well at their new clubs 

• 2 months later...

Disappointing result today as HOB continue to be our bogey team. Not that many chances but they took theirs and we didn’t and the second goal was well taken. Felt they parked the bus in the second half, but why not when you are 2 up.  If we’d scored a bit earlier it might have swung the momentum in our favour but not to be. 

Not having a social club of our own it’s always a pleasure visiting clubs who do.  I like Dundonald as a venue, a nice park and nice to see their new floodlights, and that they still have the sofa for those needing a more comfy viewing position.   

Pleased to see us back to our best for most of the game. 3-0 with 15 to go is comfortable. 3-2 with 10 to go is not. So credit to Dundonald for that.  Several curious decisions from the ref throughout the game resulted in a few tetchy moments and I felt some of the Dundonald players got off lightly with their abuse directed at her, especially given we had a red card last week for similar or less. A stronger stance would have nipped this in the bud earlier. 

So 3 points is always great and we look forward to a huge derby game in the Scottish Cup next week....and another social club 😀

• 1 month later...

Our bogey team Hill of Beath continue to have us in their back pocket.  After hitting the post in the first minute  and coming close a couple of times afterwards, the home team then punished us twice in the first half. Firstly for not clearing our lines after the ball rebounded off the bar, and the second a good finish after turning inside the defender . Two chances, two goals.  Both sides had chances after that. The second half was mostly Penicuiks but possession, passing and territory doesn’t equal goals and despite several opportunities their goalie wasn’t tested enough.

i am only thankful that we don’t have to play them again in the league, although a cup match in 2 weeks will give us another chance to end their run over us.  

Looking at other results it shows once again that many sides are capable of beating any team on their day so it’s all to play for despite the odd setback. 

2 hours ago, norwichbobby said:

Our bogey team Hill of Beath continue to have us in their back pocket.  After hitting the post in the first minute  and coming close a couple of times afterwards, the home team then punished us twice in the first half. Firstly for not clearing our lines after the ball rebounded off the bar, and the second a good finish after turning inside the defender . Two chances, two goals.  Both sides had chances after that. The second half was mostly Penicuiks but possession, passing and territory doesn’t equal goals and despite several opportunities their goalie wasn’t tested enough.

i am only thankful that we don’t have to play them again in the league, although a cup match in 2 weeks will give us another chance to end their run over us.  

Looking at other results it shows once again that many sides are capable of beating any team on their day so it’s all to play for despite the odd setback. 

Hopefully yous wont get ur luck back next week lol. I did tip penicuik to win the league 

Well,  fair play to your team Alan. They came out of the blocks flying with fast, direct and accurate football. Game over after 13 minutes and thanks for not rubbing it in further by missing the penalty. 🙂

Honestly don’t know what’s wrong. Yes, we have injuries but that’s what a squad is for and I’m sure other teams suffer too.  We’ve not gelled since the cup game. Signs were there on Wednesday against Sauchie but we got through it. Today, we were brutally exposed by 3 straight forward and similar goals. 

Hopefully we’ll sort things out but it’s bogey team HOB again next week (I think). 

Oh, and Norwich lost 5-1 at home too so a smashing day all round 😂

1 hour ago, norwichbobby said:

Well,  fair play to your team Alan. They came out of the blocks flying with fast, direct and accurate football. Game over after 13 minutes and thanks for not rubbing it in further by missing the penalty. 🙂

Honestly don’t know what’s wrong. Yes, we have injuries but that’s what a squad is for and I’m sure other teams suffer too.  We’ve not gelled since the cup game. Signs were there on Wednesday against Sauchie but we got through it. Today, we were brutally exposed by 3 straight forward and similar goals. 

Hopefully we’ll sort things out but it’s bogey team HOB again next week (I think). 

Oh, and Norwich lost 5-1 at home too so a smashing day all round 😂

I didn't make the game but we must have done well to beat penicuik

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Cracking win today which I've described elsewhere.

Athletic's first home Scottish Cup tie since 1938 (lost 3-1 v King's Park)... and their first home win since 1890 debut (5-3 v Champfleurie).

Have to agree with your match summary. Watching Stenhousemuir warm up I was filled with dread. To a man they appeared giants, fit, athletic, strong and well drilled.  As the game started, unusually for us we were content to let them come at us and we didn’t close them down. Individually they appeared comfortable on the ball. But, As time went on we had the clear chances and they were restricted to long shots wide of the mark.  Scoreless at half time left me thinking what might have been.  3 goals later, and still little from Stenhousemuir i couldn’t believe my eyes. Party time in Penicuik and another to come in Partick next month, regardless of the score. 

As has been well documented on these posts, the established teams be warned, change is coming, perhaps not quickly, but it’s happening. Cup runs such as this can only strengthen the ex-junior teams and results like this will become more common.  Penicuik and Linlithgow have tough, but lucrative ties ahead. Broxburn have a real chance to progress and they can perhaps dream of a game changing tie in the 4th round. Good luck to all..