DAFC v DUFC - 27/10/2018

10 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I didn't say it was a great achievement but I'd argue it's reason enough to not sack the man.

Can you honestly say any of his three finishes have been disappointments? Won League One at a canter, then a comfortable but boring mid-table spot first season back up and then last year we got a play-off spot.

He seems to always do just enough. I'd imagine top four was again the objective for this year and unless it's looking highly unlikely we'll achieve that, he's not going to be binned.

I've already said numerous times that it's not been exciting for a while now but unless that starts equalling less bums on seats then it's a total non-factor.

Yes, the last two seasons were both dissapointing, the first season up especially was absolutely dreadful.  I'm sure if someone banged up the record of clubs promoted from the 1st, especially full time teams but they tend to get into the playoffs at least. Last year getting into the playoffs before being eliminated at the first round by an awful United team. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Black and White Tragic said:

I said as much in an earlier post. He's hardly going to discuss his plan for the coming Saturday. However he's obviously been reminding the players the results are not as shite as we all think they are.

Inspirational, motivating stuff.

Totally confident about this one now.

I detect your sarcasm, but the performances haven't been as bad as everyone seems to think. Just need a goal scorer and a bit more pace in midfield, not too far off a very good side.

In my opinion calling for his sacking seems ridiculously extreme.

7 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Yes, the last two seasons were both dissapointing, the first season up especially was absolutely dreadful.  I'm sure if someone banged up the record of clubs promoted from the 1st, especially full time teams but they tend to get into the playoffs at least. Last year getting into the playoffs before being eliminated at the first round by an awful United team. 

So, before both seasons started, you'd have been disappointed with 5th and 4th place finishes?

Unless we're saying style of play or bad patches of form during the season are more important indicators than final league position ofc.

4 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

So, before both seasons started, you'd have been disappointed with 5th and 4th place finishes?

Unless we're saying style of play or bad patches of form during the season are more important indicators than final league position ofc.

Before the first season I would've absolutely been unhappy with 5th yes. Again, have a look at the full time winners of league one and look at how they do the following season, we were the first not to reach the playoffs, the two full time winners since (Livingston and Ayr) have done not bad. 

30 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Before the first season I would've absolutely been unhappy with 5th yes. Again, have a look at the full time winners of league one and look at how they do the following season, we were the first not to reach the playoffs, the two full time winners since (Livingston and Ayr) have done not bad. 

Tbf Ayr - albeit not winners of League One - were sent straight back down to League One in their return to the Championship. Morton, like ourselves, finished 5th in their first season back up in 2015/16, but in terms of points they were much further away from the playoffs than we were in 2016/17 (19 points compared to 4).

13 minutes ago, Eoin said:

Working till 2 so need to take the car, where is the best place to park near East End Park?

For an away supporter usually just the main drag, also makes it easier for getting away.  But the later you arrive the further away on the main road you will be.

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

15-16 Greenock Morton - 5th in Champ, 19 points off the top four

16-17 Dunfermline Athletic - 5th in Champ, four points off the top four

Hmm.

I can only assume your argument is you're disappointed we didn't do as well as Queen of the South- unless we're going back five years + or you're comparing us to Sevco?

17 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

15-16 Greenock Morton - 5th in Champ, 19 points off the top four

16-17 Dunfermline Athletic - 5th in Champ, four points off the top four

Hmm.

I can only assume your argument is you're disappointed we didn't do as well as Queen of the South- unless we're going back five years + or you're comparing us to Sevco?

They  were 19 points off the top four in a harder division, we didn't do as well as Livingston who followed us, and currently Ayr are doing better than what we originally done, as well as that yes we didn't do as well as Qots. 

21 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

They  were 19 points off the top four in a harder division, we didn't do as well as Livingston who followed us, and currently Ayr are doing better than what we originally done, as well as that yes we didn't do as well as Qots. 

It was harder for sure but 15 points is still a big difference and they absolutely did no better than we did.

Livingston and Ayr's achievements are totally irrelevant to this discussion, as I asked if you'd have been disappointed with 5th *before* the 16/17 season started. How could what's happened years after that have any bearing?

53 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

It was harder for sure but 15 points is still a big difference and they absolutely did no better than we did.

Livingston and Ayr's achievements are totally irrelevant to this discussion, as I asked if you'd have been disappointed with 5th *before* the 16/17 season started. How could what's happened years after that have any bearing?

They didn't do any better, but then they didn't win the first nearly as convincingly as what we had done, with how well we'd done the previous season we should have been looking to emulate Qots, or at least do better than what Morton done, as it was we done no better than them. 

Livingston and Ayr have only reaffirmed my belief that it wasn't a successful season. 

Having no relacement for Murdoch and messing about after Fais wanted away cost us dearly.

I remember the Hibs match away. If Murdoch had been playing we would have at least got a draw. Fordyce made an error but it was down to Hutton not commanding his box. The first goal was down to him not coming for corners also. BRE o.g.

Another Hibs game away. I think it’s probably as good as I’ve seen us play on tv. We totally dominated yet somehow came away with a draw.

Thats just two games away against one team, poor tactics, squad preparation and selection. It’s an ongoing problem that didn’t show in league one as the squad and players were well above anything anyone else could afford. I think that squad is just about as good as the one we have now.

When AJ gets it right and we play free flowing attacking football with wingers we are brilliant but it falls apart in the championship for large spells. I’m not really sure why, lack of central midfield or other managers outsmarting him and maybe just better opponents and bigger budgets.

It sickens me a little that a team with Derek Adams, Mark Kerr etc on peanuts can destroy us so easily. It has to be down to AJ.

Also regarding Ayr getting relegated. McCall spent absolutely nothing and used his time wisely and seems to have learned from his mistakes and crafted his team. On the flip side we have brought in players that he could only dream of and done relatively poorly.

Or it could all be down to Michael Moffat.

:lol:

Having no relacement for Murdoch and messing about after Fais wanted away cost us dearly.
I remember the Hibs match away. If Murdoch had been playing we would have at least got a draw. Fordyce made an error but it was down to Hutton not commanding his box. The first goal was down to him not coming for corners also. BRE o.g.
Another Hibs game away. I think it’s probably as good as I’ve seen us play on tv. We totally dominated yet somehow came away with a draw.
Thats just two games away against one team, poor tactics, squad preparation and selection. It’s an ongoing problem that didn’t show in league one as the squad and players were well above anything anyone else could afford. I think that squad is just about as good as the one we have now.
When AJ gets it right and we play free flowing attacking football with wingers we are brilliant but it falls apart in the championship for large spells. I’m not really sure why, lack of central midfield or other managers outsmarting him and maybe just better opponents and bigger budgets.
It sickens me a little that a team with Derek Adams, Mark Kerr etc on peanuts can destroy us so easily. It has to be down to AJ.

Derek Adams? I can only assume you are referring to Farmer Jamie Adams?

IMG_2690.jpg

I think we’ll put up a good fight today and maybe come out with a draw. AJ’s always got the players up for the games against ‘bigger’ teams. It’s the games v teams around us (Morton, Queens etc) he’s always struggled with.

38 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I think we’ll put up a good fight today and maybe come out with a draw. AJ’s always got the players up for the games against ‘bigger’ teams. It’s the games v teams around us (Morton, Queens etc) he’s always struggled with.

You're getting the Tangerine pound and the Tangerine toby courtesy of big Pavol today.

On 26/10/2018 at 09:17, Black and White Tragic said:

Genuinely shocked...

IMG_0687.jpg

I’m not sure about your form table. The Thistle stats are certainly way out. Current home form in the Championship:

Home table

GP W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Ayr United 4 4 0 0 11 3 +8 12
2 Ross County 4 3 1 0 5 1 +4 10
3 Partick Thistle 5 3 0 2 7 7 0 9
4 Morton 5 2 2 1 7 9 -2 8
5 Inverness 5 1 4 0 6 5 +1 7
6 Queen of South 4 1 2 1 9 5 +4 5
7 Dundee Utd 5 1 2 2 8 11 -3 5
8 Alloa Athletic 5 1 1 3 2 7 -5 4
9 Dunfermline 5 1 1 3 2 7 -5 4
10 Falkirk 4 0 0 4 0 8 -8 0