Berwick v Cowdenbeath

Both teams go into the match on a high from Scottish Cup victories.  The big issue for us will be the suspension of David McGurn in goals meaning that Ryan Goodfellow should play.  I've never seen him in action but I've heard very few positives...

I'd thought I'd make this a trip down memory lane for us Cowden fans of some great away days down at Berwick...

Berwick 2 - 5 Cowdenbeath

Spoiler

Four goals from Keith Wright helped deliver a humiliating defeat to Berwick Rangers.

Garry Wood scored twice for the home side, but Wright treble and a further strike by Graeme Brown ensured an emphatic victory for Cowdenbeath.

Defeat left Berwick rooted to the bottom of Division Two and increased the pressure on manager Paul Smith.

He had gone into the match without Paul Ronald through suspension and Grant McNicholl and Dale Gray through injury.

John Paul Burns was out injured for Cowdenbeath.

Dreadful pass-back

Rangers were weak in defence and had a string of blunders to blame for a disastrous performance.

The nightmare began after five minutes when Willie McCulloch missed a cross from Alan Lawrence and veteran striker Wright arrived to finish the loose ball.

Berwick grabbed an equaliser when Wood netted the rebound from Sandy Robertson's saved penalty.

But Cowdenbeath replied immediately when Keith Wilson's header across goal allowed Brown to score.

Wright headed his second and the visitors third from Craig Gordon's free-kick.

And the former Hibernian forward then completed his hat-trick with 54 minutes gone.

A dreadful pass-back from Gerry Farrell allowed Wood to reduce the deficit, but Wright's fourth goal ended Berwick's hopes of a fightback.

Berwick: McCulloch, Farrell, Bennett, Murie, Neill, Brannigan, Whelan, Anthony, Wood, Robertson, Smith. Subs: Neil, Forrest, Bradley, Glancy, O'Connor.

Cowdenbeath: Gordon, Boyle, Raynes, White, Wilson, Lawrence, Winter, French, Brown, Wright, Swift. Subs: Young, Neeson, Mauchlen, Crabb, Carver.

Referee: J Underhill.

Berwick 4 - 5 Cowdenbeath

Spoiler

DENIS McLAUGHLIN was Cowdenbeath's hat-trick hero to leave brave Berwick staring relegation in the face.

The Borderers looked on course for only a third win at home this season after battling back from 3-1 down to lead 4-3.

But Pat Scullion levelled things up again before McLaughlin completed his treble in the final minute of a pulsating match.

The late strike from the on-loan Hearts striker means Berwick are now 16 points from safety.

McLaughlin blasted the opener after just 15 seconds when the trialist keeper failed to hold onto a David Bingham effort.

And it was 2-0 on four minutes with McLaughin doing the damage again, this time cashing in on a poor clearance from Grant McNicholl.

Ian Little pulled one back for the home side on 32 minutes with a neat turn and shot from the edge of the box.

Mark Ramsay restored Cowden's two-goal lead on 45 minutes but Little halved the deficit again within 60 seconds.

Little blew a great chance to complete a hat-trick before Brian Fairbairn set up David Greenhill for the leveller in 20 minutes then got in on the action himself two minutes later.

But Scullion equalised in 75 minutes and it was left to McLaughlin to clinch the points for the visitors with another neat finish.

Let's not forget Kane Hemmings scoring a hat-trick in the cup as we ran out 5-0 winners a few years back.

Will give Berwick their due though - they have had some great results against us down there.  The 2 games in 2005/06 which both finished 1-0 gave them a huge advantage in the title race. 6 crucial points would surely see the title go to England?

Spoiler

Image result for cowdenbeath champions mixu

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Berwick were hopeless in the previous game this season. No way can be that bad again.

Not having McGurn will be a big miss, he’s saved us so many times this season already and we’ll have to change the way we play. Inviting teams on and hitting them on the break just won’t work. 

Not confident at all..

2 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Both teams go into the match on a high from Scottish Cup victories.  The big issue for us will be the suspension of David McGurn in goals meaning that Ryan Goodfellow should play.  I've never seen him in action but I've heard very few positives...

I'd thought I'd make this a trip down memory lane for us Cowden fans of some great away days down at Berwick...

Berwick 2 - 5 Cowdenbeath

Hide contents

Four goals from Keith Wright helped deliver a humiliating defeat to Berwick Rangers.

Garry Wood scored twice for the home side, but Wright treble and a further strike by Graeme Brown ensured an emphatic victory for Cowdenbeath.

Defeat left Berwick rooted to the bottom of Division Two and increased the pressure on manager Paul Smith.

He had gone into the match without Paul Ronald through suspension and Grant McNicholl and Dale Gray through injury.

John Paul Burns was out injured for Cowdenbeath.

Dreadful pass-back

Rangers were weak in defence and had a string of blunders to blame for a disastrous performance.

The nightmare began after five minutes when Willie McCulloch missed a cross from Alan Lawrence and veteran striker Wright arrived to finish the loose ball.

Berwick grabbed an equaliser when Wood netted the rebound from Sandy Robertson's saved penalty.

But Cowdenbeath replied immediately when Keith Wilson's header across goal allowed Brown to score.

Wright headed his second and the visitors third from Craig Gordon's free-kick.

And the former Hibernian forward then completed his hat-trick with 54 minutes gone.

A dreadful pass-back from Gerry Farrell allowed Wood to reduce the deficit, but Wright's fourth goal ended Berwick's hopes of a fightback.

Berwick: McCulloch, Farrell, Bennett, Murie, Neill, Brannigan, Whelan, Anthony, Wood, Robertson, Smith. Subs: Neil, Forrest, Bradley, Glancy, O'Connor.

Cowdenbeath: Gordon, Boyle, Raynes, White, Wilson, Lawrence, Winter, French, Brown, Wright, Swift. Subs: Young, Neeson, Mauchlen, Crabb, Carver.

Referee: J Underhill.

Berwick 4 - 5 Cowdenbeath

Hide contents

DENIS McLAUGHLIN was Cowdenbeath's hat-trick hero to leave brave Berwick staring relegation in the face.

The Borderers looked on course for only a third win at home this season after battling back from 3-1 down to lead 4-3.

But Pat Scullion levelled things up again before McLaughlin completed his treble in the final minute of a pulsating match.

The late strike from the on-loan Hearts striker means Berwick are now 16 points from safety.

McLaughlin blasted the opener after just 15 seconds when the trialist keeper failed to hold onto a David Bingham effort.

And it was 2-0 on four minutes with McLaughin doing the damage again, this time cashing in on a poor clearance from Grant McNicholl.

Ian Little pulled one back for the home side on 32 minutes with a neat turn and shot from the edge of the box.

Mark Ramsay restored Cowden's two-goal lead on 45 minutes but Little halved the deficit again within 60 seconds.

Little blew a great chance to complete a hat-trick before Brian Fairbairn set up David Greenhill for the leveller in 20 minutes then got in on the action himself two minutes later.

But Scullion equalised in 75 minutes and it was left to McLaughlin to clinch the points for the visitors with another neat finish.

Let's not forget Kane Hemmings scoring a hat-trick in the cup as we ran out 5-0 winners a few years back.

Will give Berwick their due though - they have had some great results against us down there.  The 2 games in 2005/06 which both finished 1-0 gave them a huge advantage in the title race. 6 crucial points would surely see the title go to England?

Hide contents

Image result for cowdenbeath champions mixu

Some memorable games there. I actually missed the 4-5 game as I had the worse bout of flu i've ever had in my life. 

Another classic before your time was in 1987 when we pumped them 6-1 at Sheilfield when Eric Tait of BRTV game was manager - god he had some shit teams.

Long way to go for our new gaffer. Despite a well deserved and confidence boosting win over Gretna, we still conceded way too many good chances and missed too many of our own.

But... there were also some really promising signs. Some excellent and skilful attacking moves at pace & genuine effort from the start. Add that to the win, a week with the new coaching team and the boss working out his best side (I'd get Murphy, Mcilduff and Hurst in the starting XI, but JH may see it different) and I'm allowing myself a glimmer of optimism.

Just a glimmer mind, so 8-0 Berwick.

Archived